Help with a shotgun for my left handed wife.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
I think I like that CZ Drake Southpaw but I think the LH version only comes in 20 or 12 gauge according to the 2018 catalog. I don't think that's a problem.
Yep, good catch, I tagged the link wrong, I was meaning to promote the idea the 20G in that Southpaw version might do the trick. Excellent advice above btw.

Capt Quirk

You could always go Old School, as in Catholic school... Slap her hand with a ruler, because the left hand is the Devil's hand according to the Penguins. :)

spencer12

Browning has some left hands under $1,000 Benelli is the best but you're not going to get one under a grand.

I am also left handed and it is a pain to find left handed guns that I want.

delacroix

BANNED
Beretta A300 synthetic. The stock is adjustable for cast, drop and length of pull. Takes about five minutes to reverse the safety. That gun will cycle the lightest loads, which get well down into 20 gauge territory.

And since she only shoots a time or two each year, you can switch it back to your way the rest of the year.

Big7

The Oracle
Not going into ga., brand or nothing else.

I do have a little story for you.
From a left handed shooter.

When I was young, I started out
with Dad and Uncles shotguns
and rifles.

When I had my starter jobs and a little $$,
left handed anything were like hunting hen's
teeth. Not to mention they were a lot
more expensive than same model righty's.

Sooo I shot right handed long guns left
handed.

As I got into my mid 20's and making
decent money, I bought a left handed
shotgun. Couldn't hit squat.

Safety on the "wrong" side etc..

Sold it and got the same one in
right handed and back to "no problems".

I'm left eye dominant.
Shoot long guns and billiards left
handed. Do everything else right handed.

FWIW.

So, does she just want a lefty or NEED one?
That is the question.

NCMTNHunter

I'm left handed and I've shot right handed semi-auto shotguns my whole life and never had an issue. Semi-auto 22LR's is another story!

The most inconvenient thing about a semi-auto shotgun is reaching across the trigger guard to the safety but even that is no big deal.

I did buy a beretta a390 that you could reverse the safety to be left handed. Turns out that was a nightmare. After I got somewhat used to it, it caused me to leave my other shotguns on fire instead of safe. Also when other people would shoot or even just look at the beretta they would put it on fire before putting it back down. After a year or so I switched it back to right handed and never looked back.

GeorgiaBob

There are many left handed shotguns out there. I am sure an internet search will turn up a bunch, in all price ranges. But don't give up on the much more common right eject shotguns. Go with your wife and check out a bunch of semi-auto shotguns at some store that has a range and you will likely find a 20ga that doesn't throw plastic and brass in her face.

To mitigate the risk of the occasional flyer, you can add a "brass" deflector. That's a very small piece of steel welded to the back or top of an ejection port. When the case is ejected, the brass will hit the deflector and usually bounce forward and away. It is very effective - so effective that almost every AR-15 you can buy off the shelf has a discharge deflector molded into the aluminum. (on an AR-15 the brass deflector is just a small "bump" behind the port.)

I know the frustrations and literal pain of getting hot brass or plastic blasted on my face. I am a lefty. I have a couple of Mossberg 12ga that I shoot specifically because the ejection path does not include my face!

Other than supporting what others have already said, I can't help much on the recoil issue, other than note that there are some very "spongy" recoil pads made. And ask, have you measured her for appropriate stock length?