Help With Hunting Laws!

Slug-Gunner

Bottom of link page....

FX Jenkins said:
This is a good page, and at the bottom it says 200 yards...better get you a yardage wheel..

http://www.gfodl.org/law.php

Here's the part that refers to the 200 yards from a building:

Miscellaneous:
Here are some various other laws that pertain to firearms. It is unlawful to discharge a firearm within 50 yards of a public road, unless in defense of life, health, and property. It is unlawful to discharge a firearm within 200 yards of a building unless with the owner's written permission or in defense of life, health, and property. It is unlawful to discharge a firearm on some else's land without permission of the landowner. It is unlawful to point a firearm, loaded or not, at another person not necessary in defense of life, health, and property. It is unlawful to discharge a firearm in the direction of another person not necessary in defense of life, health, and property. It is unlawful to shoot a firearm on Sunday; this does not apply to anyone; that is engaged in legal target practice at an approved range or on one's own land, in defense of life, health, and property, any person who is engaged in lawful hunting, any law enforcement officer in performance of official duties. (16-11-102 - 16-11-106)

Here is the link to the actual Georgia Code:

http://www.legis.state.ga.us/cgi-bin/gl_codes_detail.pl?code=16-11-129

(Click on the title code number you want to read.)

ADDED INFO:

I just read over ALL of the Title 16-11-xxx codes and found the following:

1. I could find NOWHERE in the Title 16-11-xxx codes any reference to the 200 yard distance, but this may be 'interpreted' from the fact that many local county/city ordinaces have a similar reference to 100-200 yard distances.

2. ALL WHO OWN FIREARMS should be familiar with Title 16-11-100 and higher ordinance wordings.

3. ALL WHO HUNT need to pay particular attention to Title 16-11-108 thru 110.

4. Title 16-11-120's thru 130's refer to the GA Firearms and Weapons Act.
(Those with teenage children may want to pay particular attention to those that refer to minors under 18 having weapons, to include knives, in their possession.)

5. Title 16-11-125 basically says "Guilty until you prove yourself innocent."

6. Title 16-11-131 concerns "felony" convictions and their subsequent penalities and limitations regarding possession of firearms and weapons.

NOTE:

I would put the above link in your Bookmarks or Favorites for reference if you are ever cited for any GA Code violation in the future.... a lot of info there.

Last edited:

Alan in GA

I was ....

under the assumption [we all know how assumption is the lowest form of knowlege!] that "within 50 yards of a structure/building" could and would be enforced IF a "complaint" was made to the firing of a firearm. And nowadays,,a firearm is anything capable of throwing a projectile. So,,if anyone complains about the shooting,,and the shooting is within 150 feet of their building/house/structure,,,,,,,the lawmen can and will enforce the complaint [stop the shooting].
I am an avid hunter,,but your situation sounds like one that would make me VERY uncomfortable....shotguns that close to homes is a no-no. Especially with the larger shot used for ducks [carries even farther].

Alan in GA.

Coastie

Allow me to add to the confusion: The only hunting law relating to distance is the 50 yards (150 feet) from a public highway/road or occupied dwelling regulation. There are exceptions known as safety zones which are typically located in the proximity to parks and recreation areas but not necessarily limited to them. Any other regulation or law concerning the discharge of firearms in proximity to dwellings will have to come from the state (beyond the hunting regulations) county, city or town involved.
Who owns the "Swamp" in question, just because a person has permission to cross anothers property does not mean they have permission to hunt a particular area unless they own it or have permission from that property owner. Also, did you not realize that this area was used for hunting purposes before you bought or is this a recent thing. If this area has been used historically for hunting purposes and the new folks now moving in are objecting, I have little sympathy for them. It's kind of like the folks moving into a neighborhood under the approach to an airport, then squalling about the noise.

Last edited:

JerryC

discounthunter said:
why is that scary.
Because I can't count the number of times I've taken my ammo out of the chamber to cross a road or walk down a short stretch of road to get to other property. I did this so that I couldn't be accused of hunting from a road, but from reading this it sounds like my rifle would've been considered loaded anyhow. -JerryC

R Smith

Coastie said:
Also, did you not realize that this area was used for hunting purposes before you bought or is this a recent thing. If this area has been used historically for hunting purposes and the new folks now moving in are objecting, I have little sympathy for them. It's kind of like the folks moving into a neighborhood under the approach to an airport, then squalling about the noise.

I have lived on this property for 15 years and some of the neighbors for 20+ years and this first time any one has tried to hunt there. If it was someone's traditional hunting grounds, they have been hunting with silencers on their shotguns and just now decided to remove them. All the neighbors have complained.
It is pretty much a moot point as those that were hunting said they did not realize it would bother anyone and have graciously said they would not be back. There were no harsh words or hard feelings. A little honesty goes a long ways.

Hntr130

Slug-Gunner

Some of those laws that you have quoted have been repealed in last years Legislative session. One that I know that has definitely been repealled in the law that saysit is unlawful to discharge a firearm on Sunday. I am sure of this and some of the others may have been repealled.

Happy Huntin'

Toliver

Discharging a firearm on Sunday has not been repealed. It's still on the books. There are several exceptions to the law, such as hunting.

There are no laws pertaining to how close you can be to a building. Only public roadways.

County ordinances will not be enforced by state DNR. County ordinances are generally not enforced within the city limits unless the county and city contract it that way.

Your neighborhood covenance is useless if they're hunting from another neighborhood. And law enforcement won't enforce private covenances.

Waterways are federally owned. The land the water flows across most likely has a private owner though and if they don't have permission from that owner then DNR can charge them with hunting without permission. However, some of these 'unusable' areas in a development are donated to the county. That's what we were told would happen to the undevelopable land in my neighborhood. So the county may very well own that property and have an ordinance against hunting there.

Bottom line is, check with DNR and your county to see who owns the property. Because it sounds like hunting without permission may be the only avenue.

Now you've heard just about the same thing from a lawyer and two cops. If cops and lawyers are agreeing, it MUST be true! :D:rolleyes:

CAL

R Smith,
I am glad you have it settled without a lots of dispute.For the record our county just finished with zoning ordinances and the like.You could check with your local county commissioner or commissioners and if it is an ordinance on the books they will or should know about it.This is where it will fall.For the likes of me I would think there would be some type of ordinance about discharging a firearm in a neighborhood.I would try to find out before the next duck shoot if it were me.You might not be so lucky next time.Good luck with it.

Coastie

R Smith said:
I have lived on this property for 15 years and some of the neighbors for 20+ years and this first time any one has tried to hunt there. If it was someone's traditional hunting grounds, they have been hunting with silencers on their shotguns and just now decided to remove them. All the neighbors have complained.
It is pretty much a moot point as those that were hunting said they did not realize it would bother anyone and have graciously said they would not be back. There were no harsh words or hard feelings. A little honesty goes a long ways.

That being the case, sounds as if it is settled to everybodies satisfaction.

REMINGTON710

I thaught it was 250yds

Researcher31726

Gone But Not Forgotten
It's always better if it can be worked out without harsh words or bad feelings. I've had some experiences both methods, and i always felt bad (even when I won) that things could not have been worked out calmly and neighborly. Sounds like you did a good job there!

FX Jenkins

Glad you shared a positive resolution with us...speaks much better for hunters than had you wrote to tell us about a "showdown at suburban pond"...

Hntr130

I hate to disagree with you, but.......

this quote is untrue. "Discharging a firearm on Sunday has not been repealed. It's still on the books. There are several exceptions to the law, such as hunting."

OCGA 16-11-105 was the code section that made discharging a firearm on Sunday illegal, with some exceptions as you have stated. But in 2005 it was repealed. It is no longer a law.

Check out the following link and 16-11-105 is "Reserved." Therefore nothing is under this code section anymore. It is NOT illegal to discharge a firearm on Sundays.

http://www.legis.state.ga.us/cgi-bin/gl_codes_detail.pl?code=16-11-105

Happy Huntin'

Toliver

You are correct. Sometimes it takes a bit for this kind of info to come to light. In fact, I'm not even sure all the judges know it's gone since I know someone that was just charged with it a few weeks ago.

I'm glad it's gone. It was just another one of those stupid "Bible Belt" laws anyway.