Henry Big Boy SS Lever in .45 Colt

It appears I may be trading into one of these Henry rifles and I was wondering if any of you might own one, or have some good info on this rifle. I am specifically most curious about what loads will, or will not cycle through it smoothly/properly. I have been researching some of the warmer HC/GC loads of 325/335/360gr by Doubletap & BB and see that many (most?) are too long (OAL) to function properly through the Henry's action.

There are plenty of available loads that will suffice for my deer hunting and even most of my black bear hunting. But, after a surprising experience several years ago using a Carbine in .44mag and 270gr Gold Dot loads on a very large Georgia boar, I'd prefer HC/GC in it should I want to use it for another big boar. Anyone with personal experience on such loads in this rifle? Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

9583818_03_henry_all_weather_lever_action_640-2.jpg

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
That's nice!! Looks like it's ready to handle any weather!!

leoparddog

I can't say what will cycle through one as I don't own one, but I do have a M92 in 45LC and a 265gr CBT WFNGC bullets over a stout load H110 or Lil' Gun will do 1750fps from a 20" barrel and that load will hammer anything walking in GA.

I've loaded 300gr HC and 300gr Speer bullets in it and with top loads, they are just too painful on my shoulder to be worth it.

This gun may be a bit heavier so it may soak up the recoil a bit better. It is a nice looking gun!

Darkhorse

That rifle is the "All Weather" version of the Big Boy. It looks like SS but it's not, it's some kind of coating on both the metal and wood. From the Henry website:

While it may sound like we’re just gilding the steel Big Boy lily with a different finish, the durable hard chrome plating that just doesn’t give up moves the dependable pistol-calibered platform squarely into “Next Gen” status, and combined with the tough moisture-resistant industrial-grade coating on the hardwood furniture, you can match one up with your favorite revolver caliber, your favorite stainless steel handgun, your favorite truck, or your favorite saddle scabbard, in rain, sleet, hail, snow, or whatever weather conditions your trail may lead you into.

It is still an interesting rifle though. I've been looking at the Steel Big Boy myself most likely in .44 Mag. as I already load for this caliber. The OAL is very important as to feeding in these rifles as you have noted. What we don't know is how well they will feed the various bullet types.
I also wonder what power these rifles are rated for. I mean are they safe for +P or ++P cartridges? Are they safe for a little hotter loads than max. with my handloads?
I've killed many deer and hogs over the years with my Ruger Auto Carbine in .44 mag. using 240 gr. softpoints. Personally I prefer something that delivers more shock to the animal like a .308, something with more velocity. So if I got a Big Boy it would be in the rifle length for what little additional velocity it would gain.
From what I've seen so far the Henry's have a better fit and finish and they also have a better trigger, from 3 to 4 pounds.

That rifle is the "All Weather" version of the Big Boy. It looks like SS but it's not, it's some kind of coating on both the metal and wood. From the Henry website:

While it may sound like we’re just gilding the steel Big Boy lily with a different finish, the durable hard chrome plating that just doesn’t give up moves the dependable pistol-calibered platform squarely into “Next Gen” status, and combined with the tough moisture-resistant industrial-grade coating on the hardwood furniture, you can match one up with your favorite revolver caliber, your favorite stainless steel handgun, your favorite truck, or your favorite saddle scabbard, in rain, sleet, hail, snow, or whatever weather conditions your trail may lead you into.

It is still an interesting rifle though. I've been looking at the Steel Big Boy myself most likely in .44 Mag. as I already load for this caliber. The OAL is very important as to feeding in these rifles as you have noted. What we don't know is how well they will feed the various bullet types.
I also wonder what power these rifles are rated for. I mean are they safe for +P or ++P cartridges? Are they safe for a little hotter loads than max. with my handloads?
I've killed many deer and hogs over the years with my Ruger Auto Carbine in .44 mag. using 240 gr. softpoints. Personally I prefer something that delivers more shock to the animal like a .308, something with more velocity. So if I got a Big Boy it would be in the rifle length for what little additional velocity it would gain.
From what I've seen so far the Henry's have a better fit and finish and they also have a better trigger, from 3 to 4 pounds.

Thanks.

The same rifle is made in .44mag and .357, so the +P loads are not an issue. I know that 99% of the big boars out there will succumb, readily, to most .44mag or 45 Colt loads, but I met one that decided otherwise. Thus, my desire for a heavy HC/GC load that Will penetrate Like crazy, through the shield and shoulders.

There are 255gr HC loads around, but I prefer heavier in 45 cal.

The rifle is here and ready for scoping and ammo trials. My first impressions, as a first Henry purchase, are that I'm very impressed. Smooth working action, feels like a bank vault type lockup.

Trigger works for me, little creep, 5(?) pound pull, no overcreep. I will scope it due to my older eyes, but I can also see the irons pretty well. I'm a firm believer that a quality scope is much better than irons in low light. And, it works better in full light as well, if a low enough magnification and it has properly adjusted eye relief.

All in all, I'm VERY happy with the rifle. I'm actually considering selling another of my 3 remaining Marlin 375s, to buy a Henry in 45-70.

0318191334-1.jpg0318191336-1.jpg

Reactions: Dub
Looks good. I was looking at Henry and Marlin. Got lucky with a deal on a new 1894 that is nice, although reviews slam the new ones. I can only take as much ammo as I can afford if the wife goes. She will shoot it all. They are fun in 45. I decided to buy a peep sight and stick on the back and like if fine.

I have owned a Marlin 1894 in .44 and it was a great rifle. For a reason, now forgotten, I sold it. Sometimes ya just make silly decisions... :huh:

The first bunch of ammo I ordered was delivered yesterday. I decided on some Grizzly ammo for hunting, initially. The 300gr is too long to function thru the action properly, but the 265gr is slicker than snail snot. The 300gr single loads just fine and in some cases, I may load the chamber with it and the tube with 265s.

The 300s should be running about 1600 FPS and the 265s around 1800 out of the 20" barrel. The 265s have a Wide Flat Nose, noticeably wider than the 300s. I look for either to easily pass thru deer sized game at the ranges I'll be using the rifle for.

The 3rd, jacketed bullet, shown is the 250gr XTP from Underwood, which should yield around 1350- 1400 FPS from the Carbine. Certainly another more than adequate load for deer.

And, more good news.... My new Henry H010 45-70 Carbine should be en route right now from Nebraska. Pistol grip stock, 18.5" barrel, walnut and blue. :biggrin2:0322191557-1.jpgwm_13338844.jpg

Dub

Good loads, for certain.

I have that same Henry. Great handling rifle. I think you'll really like it.

Klondike

I have the matte big boy steel. I have shoy just about every 45LC from grizzly cartridge including the 300's and had no issues

I have the matte big boy steel. I have shoy just about every 45LC from grizzly cartridge including the 300's and had no issues

Appreciate your input. While there was no information on Grizzly's site reference the Henry and the 300gr Cast ammo, Buffalo Bore does mention on their site that their 300gr JFN and 325gr Cast were too long to cycle properly through the Henry's action. While I anticipated problems with the 300gr Cast, I purchased a box to shoot singly and check for accuracy anyway.

As anticipated, the 300gr Cast would not cycle through my rifle's action. Was it the Grizzly cast or the JFN 300gr loading that you found to work fine in your Henry?

I like the look and finish on that rifle! What's the optic you are mounting on it?

Thanks. For now I have a nice compact Weaver 1-3×20. A scope model I've enjoyed on several shorter range rifles. I'm probably going to switch the rings that are there now to Leupold QD Weaver style rings and also use a Vortex Crossfire II 30mm 1-4×24 with illuminated #4 so I can sight it in with two different loads.

One light load for plinking and a heavy load for hunting.

0323191652-1.jpg