Henry Rifles

Gunpowder

For those of you who own and shoot Henry rifles, what is your opinion of the fit,finish, and accuracy of these rifles. I am looking at the Big Boy in 44 mag.

I own three; a BB in 45LC, a BB in 45-70 and a Single Shot in 45-70. High quality firearms. The 45-70 is VERY accurate, the 45C hasn't been shot enough to know ultimate accuracy and the SS is just brand new to me. I've also owned at least a dozen Marlins, and my opinion is that even including the older, early '80s, models Marlins I've owned, the Henry is quite impressive.

IMG_20191031_153310673~2.jpg

Last edited:

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I own three; a BB in 45LC, a BB in 45-70 and a Single Shot in 45-70. High quality firearms. The 45-70 is VERY accurate, the 45C hasn't been shot enough to know ultimate accuracy and the SS is just brand new to me. I've also owned at least a dozen Marlins, and my opinion is that even including the older, early '80s, models Marlins I've owned, the Henry is quite impressive.
You sir have a addiction!!???

Hillbilly stalker

I shot ( didn't own ) a .22 LR. Absolutely one of the least accurate .22 I ever shot excluding acRemington 597. I shoot a .22 quiet a bit,maybe it was just a lemon.

Stroker

I shot ( didn't own ) a .22 LR. Absolutely one of the least accurate .22 I ever shot excluding acRemington 597. I shoot a .22 quiet a bit,maybe it was just a lemon.
Maybe it was the ammunition you were using. Don't know about other 597's but mines a tack driver when shooting the bulk Federal stuff.

Jester896

Senior Clown

the one I had was the most ill feeding... least accurate of any .22 I have owned in my life

Hillbilly stalker

Maybe it was the ammunition you were using. Don't know about other 597's but mines a tack driver when shooting the bulk Federal stuff.
The 597 my son had would only shoot cci's and that was during the great .22 scare. It wouldn't shoot Winchester, federal, Remington or some Aquilla I had. At the time a rifle that was a picky eater wasn't an option.

snuffy

Have bought 5 Henry 22"s
I buy my grand kids guns for their first birthdays.
After buying two Golden Boys of the last two grand boys ( 5 and 6 years old now) iI bought a 22 Mag for myself. Not the Golden Boy but with octagon barrel
Last two Grand daughters (1 and 3 years now) Got Henry American Beauties.

Of the 5 only two have been shot and I have no complaints with them.
MADE IN AMERICA OR NOT MADE AT ALL.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I know the OP wasn't looking for .22 results...a buddy of mine got 2 Case Hardened ones. 1 in .357 and one in .44. The .357 I think went back 2 right out of the box and the .44 went back once shortly after getting it.

I don't see this in reviews but he sure had a stroke of bad luck.

Last edited:

Anvil Head

Got two, one in 45LC and one 357. Although they are "heavy" for a short carbine-ish size rifle, they both are extremely accurate and definitely well made. The cowboy in me loves the 45LC best, so it gets shot regular. Installed a peep for these old eyes and loving it. 300#+ hog at 50yds one shot, says it all for me (lot of other varmints have failed the "duck" test as well). Best of all, it's just plain fun to shoot!

Reactions: Dub

TurkeyH90

And I can concur with Hillbilly. In my opinion they are overated. They market well but I don't think they back it up. I'm sure this will step on some toes but everyone has their opinion. Some folks who have access to about anything they want in regards to rifles share the same opinion as mine.

snuffy

Had to send one of the American Beauties back for repair. ( Not Henrys fault. Gun was stored improperly and I made it worst by trying to fix it myself)

Not only did Henry fix it at no charge and in a timely manner, but also sent a gift for my Granddaughter. I didn't even have to pay shipping either way.

Don't see how their service could be ANY better than that!

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I have a .45-70 and it works like a well oiled machine. Very smooth action and it shoots incredibly accurate.

LTE

I truly respect Henry for saying "Made In America Or Not Made At All."

Hopefully I can purchase one to support them for that.

Kaisrus6

I got a henry Big Boy in 44 mag as a retirement gift and its a great shooting and looking rifle. The fit and finish is better than most any gun I own

Dub

@Gunpowder you have received several replies. I can't speak to the rimfire guns...and not even sure that's what you were asking about. I'm probably an oddball around here in that I have zero interest in rimfire guns. Now...maybe one day if I become a grandfather....then they'll have more interest then.

I only have experience shooting Henry rifles in .45Colt & .45/70.

My Henry .45/70 has a butter smooth action, crisp trigger, nice feeling & nice looking stock.

Came with good functional open sights that my 50+ year old eyes have no problems with.

Zero complaints.

Doubtful that I'll ever need their customer service, but feel good knowing it's there.

If/when I add another lever rifle I'll be fishing from the Henry pond first. :flag:

oppthepop

I have the all steel 45/70 and put a Leupold VX3-1.5x5 scope on it and could not be happier. I also have a 22 mag Henry and it is my "Buggy gun" - both are accurate, well made, and have never failed me.