here you go David Mills-----Neil Cost calls

Dudley Do-Wrong

I wouldn't use them Joe, I sometimes lose things.

Gaswamp

$3500.00 was a little more than I had in mind anyway

Arrowhead95

I figured it would sell for between $2500 and $3500. Based on the few I had seen sell on ebay before. Actually the last one I saw had a high bid of $2400 but the reserve wasn't met.

Not sure if the back dating of the calls had any effect on the price.
But the $4500 call is still available............

Gaswamp

I figured it would sell for between $2500 and $3500. Based on the few I had seen sell on ebay before. Actually the last one I saw had a high bid of $2400 but the reserve wasn't met.

Not sure if the back dating of the calls had any effect on the price.
But the $4500 call is still available............

About how many of the long boxes did Neil make? It's a pretty low number isn't it?

Nitro

Banned
In Neil's own book " Neil Cost talks Turkey" he wrote he built an estimated 200-250 Paddle Calls. Even his records weren't exact.

They are scarce.

Arrowhead95

Nitro >> Are you talking about the square cut paddle calls or the newer ones. The ones that recently sold were square cut. I had callmaker tell me he made around 50 of the square cut ones but Mickels book says less than 100, so I figured the less than 100 sounded better to me.

Are you saying he made 200-250 of the square cut ones? I've only seen about 6 in the past 15 years. Two were just on ebay.

Nitro

Banned
Total number of paddle calls. Square cut were scarce to the point of being called RARE.

I saw Neil about 2 weeks before he died and he was still wondering what the big fuss was about in regard to his calls.........he was one of a kind.

Total number of paddle calls. Square cut were scarce to the point of being called RARE.

I saw Neil about 2 weeks before he died and he was still wondering what the big fuss was about in regard to his calls.........he was one of a kind.

Famed Reelfoot style metal reed call maker and hunter Johnny Marsh wondered the same thing. He died in 1983 and he told of times taking boxes full of calls to Reelfoot for the hunting season and selling them for $10. His calls were selling for $100 when he died. Howard Amaden of Lonoke, AR maker of Hambone duck calls also wondered what the big fuss was about. In 1991 sat in Alvin Taylor's front yard in Clarendon, AR talked about duck calls and watched a bug crawl in and out of a hole. Bought a green bois-d-arc that day for $75 and he wondered what the big fuss was about. These call makers along with folk like Doug Camp and others would probably be blown away if they could visit ebay today and look at what their stuff sells for.

Nitro

Banned
I'll give you $100 for that Green BoisD'Arc Fruit Juice call. Sight unseen. :bounce::banana::bounce:

Taylor Mades are highly prized. I only wish that I had one in my collection. I will someday.

gobblinglawyer

I think the 200-250 number includes the calls made by Neil for Quaker Boy in a limited edition set (25-30 per year including proof calls) covering a number of years. The actual paddle calls made by Neil without counting the Quaker Boy calls is probably more like 100 or so.

I have three of them (1 Quaker Boy, 1 square cut, and 1 round cut) and they are pretty prized items in my collection.