Heresy! Full rut 8pt taken with suppressed AR15.

ProAngler

Plenty of stones have been thrown at AR's, suppressors, and .223 for deer on this forum. The post is a tongue-in-cheek way of calling out the myths, while simultaneously sharing a successful hunt.

Moreover, there may be those that are ok with the notion of .223 for deer, but only during certain circumstances. Certainly not during the rut or when targeting big bucks. In fact, when sharing today's success with an older friend, that was his exact response, "Why would you carry a .223 during the rut?" As though somehow the rounds lethality degrades because the deer are mating. I just wanted to share the data point.

.223 is illegal to use for deer hunting in many states for a reason. Any caliber down to .22LR is capable of killing a deer, but that does not mean it is best suited. You can also kill a deer with a filed point and a bow. Does not make it a good idea though. Not "hating" on you for using a .223 and glad it worked out for you, but I don't think it is a good idea to promote using .223 on deer. You will kill some with it but also loose a lot more deer in the process than more capable cartridges. If the only gun I had access to was a .223 I would use it. I sure hope that is never the case though.

beginnersluck

Took one with my AR15 Thursday. He piled up within 40 yards of the shot with a double lung shot.

GAHUNTER60

Been legal as long as I’ve hunted in GA:

Deer & Bear Firearms

Modern Rifles and Handguns: Centerfire Only, .22-cal. or larger with expanding bullets. There is no restriction on magazine capacity for rifles.
http://www.eregulations.com/georgia/hunting/hunting-licenses/

Ah, you young whippersnappers! When I started deer hunting in 1965, the law in GA was, to be a legal deer caliber, a rifle had to deliver at least 1,000 foot-pounds of energy at 100 yards. Also, there were specific calibers listed individually as forbidden. Among those were the .22 Hornet, .30 caliber carbine, and .44-40.

Additionally, when deer season was not active, it was illegal to be in the woods (as in hog hunting) with any rifle over .25 caliber! (As if a .243, .25-06, .257 Roberts, or .250-3000, et al, were not viable deer killers). This is the reason I bought a Remington Model 600 in .243 in 1974.

I know the above regs were in effect at least through 1976, maybe longer.

Redman54

Attachments

• IMG_4922.JPG
    IMG_4922.JPG
    215.7 KB · Views: 828
  • 20171105_073825.jpg
    20171105_073825.jpg
    486.8 KB · Views: 835

Rich M

Trolling works and catches some fish.

If it is legal, not much folks should say - more deer get lost to archers.

bradleyjanes06

Love using my ar. Shorter then a regular rifle so easy to move in tight spaces. I'm not a fan of 223 though I have seen many deer take dirt naps with them. I got mine built in 7.62x39 to have more power. I have killed three with it so far the furthest one to one is 50 yds at most. Great gun for hunting thickets in a small blind.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Love using my ar. Shorter then a regular rifle so easy to move in tight spaces. I'm not a fan of 223 though I have seen many deer take dirt naps with them. I got mine built in 7.62x39 to have more power. I have killed three with it so far the furthest one to one is 50 yds at most. Great gun for hunting thickets in a small blind.

I built a 7.62x39 that I have killed several with. It's my go-to woods gun now.

fisch

I have a 100% DRT kill ratio with my .223. (Full disclosure: I shot my first deer with it on opening day with a neck shot using a 62 grain Hog Hammer.)

My bowhunting friend has audacity to tell me that a .223 isn't big enough for a deer, when he had to call a dog tracker to find the last deer he killed.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
"Because I can" sounds good. :biggrin2:

Thats one of many reasons for me.....probably my favorite after Its my Favorite gun, PERIOD

AR style guns look so stupid in the deer woods, in my opinion.

facepalm::huh: :bounce:

I have a 100% DRT kill ratio with my .223. (Full disclosure: I shot my first deer with it on opening day with a neck shot using a 62 grain Hog Hammer.)

My bowhunting friend has audacity to tell me that a .223 isn't big enough for a deer, when he had to call a dog tracker to find the last deer he killed.

EGGSACTLY!:cheers:

To each, but I am in the LOVE MY AR "woods gun" club!:banana: