Hey Dustin

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
It usually goes to 628, but it never surprises me if it goes lower. It is right at that level now, so I guess we'll see. Anyone running West Point , especially upriver above 219, needs to be incredibly careful.

Lindseys Grandpa

Had a guy tell me the other day he couldn't get to Ringer coming up the lake. Said it was silted in right above the 219 bridge. He was in a big heavy bass boat , a aluminum boat might ease though.

Get the navionics map card and be sure to UPDATE it monthly. The updates are FREE for one year. The data is really good but the updates can save you a TON of trouble. Navionics is THE best mapping and the web application on your I pad or Android is fantastic. Questions www.navionics.com or call them.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Get the navionics map card and be sure to UPDATE it monthly. The updates are FREE for one year. The data is really good but the updates can save you a TON of trouble. Navionics is THE best mapping and the web application on your I pad or Android is fantastic. Questions www.navionics.com or call them.

I'd be curious to know how often they are truly updating the mapping on West Point. I don't trust a single mapping company on the river above 219. I run it multiple times a week and I know how often it changes.

ryork

I was cleaning out some stuff this weekend and happened to find my original 34 sheet 5 ft interval topo set for West Point Lake that I got back around 1989 or 1990. I know I was a freshman or soph at West Georgia when I got it so around that time. It's amazing to look at the total depths in the original channel area above the 219 bridge that particular topo sheet is showing. Even at full pool, you couldn't find water anywhere up through there that is even close to that depth, a good 10 ft or maybe more I would assume. Just a testament to the amount of sediment that has been dumped in that section of the lake.

But glad I stumbled across them, they are fun to look at, reminisce over, and maybe even discover something new. Have been looking for them for a couple of years.

StriperrHunterr

I'd be curious to know how often they are truly updating the mapping on West Point. I don't trust a single mapping company on the river above 219. I run it multiple times a week and I know how often it changes.

I'd be interested to see if Auto Chart live could get pretty close to real time updates.

CaptainSolo

I have never had an issue navigating on West Point. I use Navionics maps (with SonarChart layer turned on!) and have had very good luck with their maps. Of course you never want to rely solely on any map but by following the channel clearly marked on my map, I stay out of trouble. I obviously never run off the main channel in these areas.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-15 at 5.41.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-15 at 5.41.28 PM.png
    671.8 KB · Views: 360
  • Screen Shot 2017-11-15 at 5.40.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-15 at 5.40.45 PM.png
    635.4 KB · Views: 359

dougfire

I took Z 520 C from Ringers almost the bridge in New River the last two days. where the guy in the bass boat went above 219 would have been ok if he went to the right instead of the left towards management cove(we call twin creeks). worst part has always been at Greyson