Hey Guys...looks like we are selling our home and building one to fit our family of 4....do any of you have

rstallings1979

a gun or safe room. I am just looking for ideas while we are designing the plans. Currently I have guns all over the place. I have a small gun cabinet that belonged to my dad filled and then I have some stashed in multiple closets. Thanks in advance.

sleepr71

Build it on a concrete slab,so you can put a BIG safe,or two in it. Maybe a couple of smaller ones for valuables/documents.? Big gun safes are too heavy for normal home flooring..IMHO.

Possum

Banned
I built a 700 sq ft concrete bunker under front porch.10” thick walls, 8” thick slab over steel. Has a steel entry door from basement and steel escape hatch on side. It would make a great safe room for guns but I like keeping them scattered around house.
Our engineered floor trusses can easily handle very large steel gun safes.

Rabun

Are you looking for a room that you/family can hole up in during times of natural (tornadoes, etc.) and man made disasters that you can also store your guns in, or simply an appropriate room to place gun cabinets in?

transfixer

a gun or safe room. I am just looking for ideas while we are designing the plans. Currently I have guns all over the place. I have a small gun cabinet that belonged to my dad filled and then I have some stashed in multiple closets. Thanks in advance.

Lots of different ways to accomplish what you're talking about, might do some searching on youtube and get some ideas, in a house my parents had it had a full basement, block walls to the first floor, basement was underground on 3 sides, a seperate room was built in one of the underground corners, thats where my dad had his gun safe, also made for a good place to go if there was a tornado warning, but as I said, there are a lot of different ways to do what you want.

rstallings1979

Are you looking for a room that you/family can hole up in during times of natural (tornadoes, etc.) and man made disasters that you can also store your guns in, or simply an appropriate room to place gun cabinets in?
Considering the crazy weather lately we should probably consider a safe room as well but mainly just a room to store guns. Just looking for ideas. We will be on a flat lot so there will be no basement. I am assuming I could pay the cabinet guy to build some extra cabinets etc to put the guns. I really just want the room to lock to prevent kids accessing it etc. as well as criminals. I haven't looked at the cost of an actual vault door but I suspect its expensive.

chrisw1073

I built my house two years ago and had a safe/gun room designed for it. I have attached a set of my house plans you can look at. Detail of room is Cut Section 1 / D8.0 on the last page. I used a heavy duty commercial steel door with three locking mechanisms for entry.

Attachments

• House Plans.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 96

nmurph

I sell real estate and I've seen a couple of safe rooms/gun rooms. Both were block filled with concrete. There are several companies that sell steel doors for gun rooms.

Don't forget that you will need a landline because a cell phone will not work inside this bunker. Also, both of those houses had a ration of food and lights. Also, don't forget to add a five gallon bucket with a lid.

BeerThirty

One of my friends has a walk-in safe accessed via a secret door through his bookshelf. If you're in the design phase, take the time and money to do it up right. I personally think it would add value to your home as well.

Rabun

Given no basement, I would consider building a "safe room" internal in the house...maybe under stairwell...that is appropriately reinforced primarily for shelter from severe weather but big enough to place a (or two if needed) gun safe. I would consider this a minimalist solution. My primary concerns regarding my family's safety are refuge from severe weather, a secure house from dirt bags (consider having your outside doors open out...not in) and my guns are locked up (PD weapons accessible via rapid entry safes for family members) or in my possession (especially with kids around). Let us know what you end up deciding. It's good you have the ability to design something in the early stages of the house plans.

Jester896

Senior Clown
ProSteel (The People That Make Browning Safes) makes some nice looking doors for this with remote entry features. Someone in one of these gun safe threads mentioned once that they make these kinds of rooms for folks. I liked his Idea of the door opening into the room. That way if things fall around it you will still be able to open the door. It may also make it easier for smaller people to close in the event someone is outside trying to push it in.

SC Hunter

One of my friends has a hidden room behind a wall in his closet. Think big bathroom with double vanity and 2 walk in closets. One on each side of the tub. Behind his clothes there is a door that goes into a room that 8x8ish for guns, ammo, hiding if need be. His kids know if anything happens to go there and if somebody they don't know opens that door to let them hold some buckshot.

Ruger15

We just got done with building our new house. My wife got everything she wanted but my only request was a walk in gun room which has a hidden door way behind some built in shelving in our master closet. Heck the builder played s joke on me saying they forgot to build it out and accidentally built the shelves to
Be permanent . I was shocked when he opened it up. 100sq ft room with nothing but guns and ammo. My dream ???????????

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
If we ever build another house it will have a safe room, primarily for bad weather, but also multi use.

tree cutter 08

Since your building on a slab you will have to have poured walls anchored to the slab along with a concrete top to be effective during a tornado. Vault doors i priced started at 3k and up.

SwampMoss

I have a concrete room in my basement. I purchased a gun safe/vault door with a safety latch on inside to open the door from the inside. My door opens into the room, so if debris is on the outside I can open. I have ventilation, cable and phone in the room. I was told that you can check with FEMA and build to their specs and they will give you money. I elected not to go that route. I think my door cost around $3,000. The door weighed 700 lbs, if I remember correctly.

Rabun

I was referring to the outside doors leading into the house...not the safe room door. It is much more difficult to bust in a door that swings out than one that swings in. If I ever spec a house all the external doors will open toward the outside.

Mark K

Banned
And then you can be barricaded in your house with no way to escape. If I block your doors and set your house on fire then you’re screwed.