hints to hunting north G.ga bears.

Dana Young

I am going to start posting hints to find bears the easy way in the Mountains as I have time .anyone can add to these hints as we go along.
The 1st thing I do in the early fall is start riding forest service roads or any rd that runs through hunt able land. watching the sides of road for bear slides these will give you a starting place to start your scouting. only follow the most fresh and smelly trails these will lead you to the bears.

tree cutter 08

Riding roads will help you find alot. Also later in the season when your hunting acorns, look for stumps or logs along the road where squirrels have set hulling them out. Easy to spot without looking up or looking out the window on the road. Good thing to do on a rainy day.

Dsherrer711

I am going to start posting hints to find bears the easy way in the Mountains as I have time .anyone can add to these hints as we go along.
The 1st thing I do in the early fall is start riding forest service roads or any rd that runs through hunt able land. watching the sides of road for bear slides these will give you a starting place to start your scouting. only follow the most fresh and smelly trails these will lead you to the bears.

May be a dumb question, but when you say bear slides, are you just referring to a place where they cross the road and slide down/climb up back into the woods?

I’m picturing a deer crossing on the banks of a deep creek, but obviously a little bigger/wider trail. Is that about right? Got any pictures?

Thanks!

Dana Young

They set down on their but and slide on steep banks and when the banks aren't as steep they will make bigger trails then deer or hogs.
Next hint bear trails in the woods look like people trails in the woods they are wide and flat. after you find the slides then you can track them by their trails and find out where they are going . this saves boot leather.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Check the food plots with sorghum and millet in the evenings. During a gun hunt you need to avoid food plots as they attract hunters more than deer or bears, but during bow season they can be awesome. All that being said find fresh white oaks and the bear won't be far away.

Dana Young

next tip . Bears use the easier path most of the time, unless they have been pressured.
I use these trails to slip up on them most of the time in bow range.
The point is the trails take them to and from feeding or bedding areas.
another tip is pay attention to things that look out of place. a lot of times I might see a black spot no bigger than a marble , then watch it for just a minute an a
full size bear will appear like it came out of thin air. take your time and move slow. if you watch bears they move slow and usually silent through the woods. I have had bears walk nearly up to me by sitting still and just watching.

Dana Young

Oh and bears don't see too good they have small eyes that's why they usually won't see you unless you move fast or make noise.this also helps when you are stalking them.
Do scent killers help? yes sometimes but I'd rather smell like the woods or another bear so when I am bear hunting I don't use any kind of scent killer and no deodorant the evening before the hunt. Saw dust is good because it smells like the woods I've seen lots of bear and other game after cutting wood or have worked with wood all day carpentering. so just think about that a more natural than some of these scent killers. also little sweat and the smell of saw dust or even wood smoke smells more natural in the woods than these scent killers often do. I am not saying they don't work sometimes but I see more bears after working all day than I do using scent killers.

Possum

Banned
Another tip, bears like peanut butter crackers. If you’ll “accidentally” drop one or two out of your stand, one might smell it and come check it out.

Rabun

Another tip, bears like peanut butter crackers. If you’ll “accidentally” drop one or two out of your stand, one might smell it and come check it out.

I can attest to that...had a bear get in my car and steal a pack of nabs out of my golf bag. Fortunate he got in and out without tearing anything up...cept the golf bag.

HunterJoe24

I got another one also, if you need to sneak in closer, pop up a black umbrella. The bear might think you are another bear, and another hunter might as well

Possum

Banned
98EB9147-320B-4E19-A06E-6DC5AA742286.jpegBiggest bear I ever kilt (352 lbs) was coming straight in to a smoke trail. I peeled a piece of bark off tree and lit it and let it smolder for a few min. He walked straight in down wind, nose in the air.

Last edited:

Possum

Banned
6C2DB3B7-E405-4E36-803D-AA72133532A5.jpegMy only bow bear weighed right at 300 lbs. I walked up on him opening day bow season 9 years ago. Shot him through the heart at 20 yards from the ground. One of my favorite hunts ever. That night I was fleashing out his hide on the front porch when my wife went into labor with our son. He was born a few hours later.

Last edited:

Joe Brandon

View attachment 940898My only bow bear weighed right at 300 lbs. I walked up on him opening day bow season 9 years ago. Shot him through the heart at 20 yards from the ground. One of my favorite hunts ever. That night I was fleashing out his hide on the front porch when my wife went into labor with our son. He was born a few hours later.
Man that's awesome!!! That sounds like one heck of a good day all around. I love perfect days like that! They are few and far between.

twincedargap

my hint would be to read this sub-forum in its entirety multiple times, then put boots on the ground. when you find the real sign, it will then all make sense. luck may find you an ez bear, but research & miles on the ground will let you make your own luck.

There is enough intel on this forum to write a book on bear hunting. I appreciate all that have shared here, as I wouldn't have had a clue how to hunt without their input.

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
my hint would be to read this sub-forum in its entirety multiple times, then put boots on the ground. when you find the real sign, it will then all make sense. luck may find you an ez bear, but research & miles on the ground will let you make your own luck.

There is enough intel on this forum to write a book on bear hunting. I appreciate all that have shared here, as I wouldn't have had a clue how to hunt without their input.

X2