Hip Replacement

joepuppy

Need a little insight from everyone. Doc says my right hip is completely shot. Been taking Naproxen for a couple of years now, but it is finally to the point of not helping anymore. Several medical opinions have all told me the same, no shots or injections will help. I've never been under the knife, and still are leery of it. I'm relatively young at 36, but I am very active and work a very physical job.I am worried more about limitations after surgery than anything. I will more than likely try to limp it until next fall after fire season is over. Any recommendations or thoughts from anyone who has been through this is appreciated.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I had mine replaced when I was 34. Had it refurbished last year. I’m now 61. Not as bad a surgery as rotator and back surgery. Pain free in hip.
Jeff

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
Need a little insight from everyone. Doc says my right hip is completely shot. Been taking Naproxen for a couple of years now, but it is finally to the point of not helping anymore. Several medical opinions have all told me the same, no shots or injections will help. I've never been under the knife, and still are leery of it. I'm relatively young at 36, but I am very active and work a very physical job.I am worried more about limitations after surgery than anything. I will more than likely try to limp it until next fall after fire season is over. Any recommendations or thoughts from anyone who has been through this is appreciated.
Hip and knee surgery seems as common as gallbladder surgery now days. Out of curiosity, what are they saying caused it ? Have you gotten a 2nd opinion? Drs seem to want to rush to surgery on everything now. I’ve been having hip issues lately. Chiropractor has helped a little. I’m 49

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
My 27 year old son is scheduled to have one this month. Dr. said he'd be back at work in 2 weeks. He was out of work for months with his back. Good thing is, he has a rod attached to his hip from back surgery so that helps. They do have to rebuild cartilage and ligaments. It's bone on bone. I pray your recovery is quick. Medical field has come a long way.

joepuppy

No indication as to the cause. No previous injuries. I'm sure my airborne days in the Army didn't help. I have been to 3 ortho doctors, and had x-rays and an MRI.I was really hoping to make it to 40, but not looking like it will wait that long.

TJay

I've had both mine replaced. Don't put it off the surgery is outpatient for most and it's not that bad. Every day you spend in pain is a day you don't get back. For me the first five or six days were the worst and they really weren't all that bad. When we were getting ready to do the first one the doc said "By the way, you got about two years left on your other hip." At that time my other hip was fine and I thought he was crazy. Two years later I had the other one done. Once you're on the mend you'll think "I should have done this sooner."

someguyintraffic

My mom had hers done after 5 years fighting and medicating it. Doesnt know why she waited now. No reason to stay in pain if you dont have to.

TJay

A couple of things; after surgery they want you to sleep on your back which was very difficult for me. I'd usually wake up around 1am then my sweet wife would help me to the recliner and give me a pain pill and I was good til 6:30 or so. You will need one of them high chair looking things to go over your toilet as you will not be able to sit on a regular commode. The doc will tell you there are certain things you cannot do after surgery like bend at the waist or cross your legs or twisting at the waist, make sure you listen to him! They will put you on laxatives to counter the pain meds. A softener and a stimulator, he called it "mush and push." I thought that was funny but you'll need it. I was making it around pretty good on a walker for the first 36 hours after that I really didn't need it. Hope everything turns out well for you!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My 85 year old mom had one about a month ago. First time she's been without hip pain in years.

greg_n_clayton

I am seeing good results in the comments. I got a step brother that has had 4 !! His kept popping out. I found him one time, and you would think he was being burned alive from the pain he was in !! Apparently, his artificial was wrong size. No other Dr would touch him after the 2nd !! His work is being done in Asheville since his retirement is from NC. I would choose my Dr wisely. Another late friend, USMC retired, told me...Greg..I wish I had done it years ago !!

beretta

Do it! You will be amazed. I had my right knee replaced in January of this year, I was turkey hunting opening day! just had my left knee done last week and I may even get to do one more deer hunt. I have no pain in my right knee at all. X-ray was bone on bone, bowlegged and I never rode horses. It was very painful to walk any kind of distance.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Buddy of mine had a hip replaced when he was about 30. He went from walking with a cane to being back to 100%.
He said the worst part was the nurse yanking the catheter out.
The best part was me bringing cold beer to him at DeKalb General right after he got out of recovery.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
...the surgery is outpatient for most and it's not that bad.

Hip replacement surgery is out patient know? They cut you open, saw off the top of your femur, put a cup in your pelvis and let you go home?
For real or did I miss something?

TJay

My second surgery was. It was done at a surgical center as opposed to a hospital. Docs don't want their patients in a hospital any longer than necessary.