Hipsters, the next generation of hunters.

PappyHoel

Will we finally be able to get skinny pants camo?

PappyHoel

And we don’t need any new hunters.

swamp hunter

Interesting...not sure how I feel about it , but interesting.

Jim Boyd

I think it is great.

Coming in with crossbows probably helps the danger factor (errant rifle shots) and gets new people into te sport.

What is not to like?

If you are worried that more hunters will kill “your” deer, rest easy. The sport is losing more hunters than it is gaining.

Baby boomers are aging out of the sport. I know because I am one. I ain’t dead yet but I know that somewhere, some time the last hunt is on the horizon.

It’s all good.

If they want skinny camo, let ‘em wear it.

transfixer

I'm all for the younger generation getting into hunting, not only will it change their views on a lot of things, but if there isn't a significant number of hunters to carry on the tradition, then opportunities to hunt will be lost for our grandchildren, we already have to fight the politicians and auto insurance companies to keep them from trying to put the whitetail deer on the endangered or extinct list. Left alone without hunter input we probably wouldn't have a huntable population of deer in another 20yrs.

Down4Count

We let our kids of members bring friends, I think only 4-5 deer were shot by friends of friends and that's nothing compared to the experience these kids get. We allow them to harvest any animal they choose. Over the last 8 years a lot of first time hunters have been able to experience the outdoors. If all clubs allowed this it would be much better, all I see on here is a lot of old grumpy men that want to shoot booners that never really have a chance....

MikeyD6

Deleted
You want to preserve the sport, go find a snowflake to mentor. Good luck with the getting them up at 4 am part though

https://www.wsj.com/articles/put-do...sbow-hipsters-are-the-new-hunters-11547052935

Forget the 4 am, see the look on their face when they have to field dress one for the first time! But seriously, its never a bad thing to get younger people to reconnect with nature, and carry on a tradition. Anything to get them off their electronic devices for a little while, and interact with the real world.

Easygo

I like this, my only hope is that the ones that take to hunting, use the men who took them as idols. Not the fools on tv that act and represent that horns are all that matter. I love hunting bucks but it’s so much more than a picture you can brag about. Again lets just hope these new hunters idolize the men that are actually giving their time and knowledge to them

ProAngler

Nothing wrong with getting young people into hunting, but labeling it as a sustainable food source is false advertising. 1 million deer vs 10 million Georgia’s. Not sure how that would be sustainable.

Last edited:

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
Iv'e said it before as it relates to other matters. A lot of the blame lies on the parents for not encouraging the younger generation and showing them what hunting is all about. My boys seemed a lot more interested when they were younger because they didn't have all the other distraction's as they do or did as a teenager. My oldest is in his late 20's now and has this year gotten back into it a little.

Buck70

If hunter numbers are declining then the amount of hunting acreage must be declining as well. That would explain the increasing cost of private leases and the lack of available private property available to lease.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
If hunter numbers are declining then the amount of hunting acreage must be declining as well. That would explain the increasing cost of private leases and the lack of available private property available to lease.
That has a lot to do with it as well

transfixer

I like this, my only hope is that the ones that take to hunting, use the men who took them as idols. Not the fools on tv that act and represent that horns are all that matter. I love hunting bucks but it’s so much more than a picture you can brag about. Again lets just hope these new hunters idolize the men that are actually giving their time and knowledge to them

Yes, hopefully they won't idolize those "seek one" guys,,,

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yes we do. If hunter numbers continue to decline, so does hunter impact on conservation decisions.
I just don't see the decline in hunter numbers. I don't know of a single piece of huntable property that doesn't have somebody hunting it, several more wanting to hunt it, and a few more sneaking around and hunting it. You can't even hardly get away from other hunters on millions of acres of national forest land. You can't sling a housecat twenty feet without hitting a hunter with it.

transfixer

I just don't see the decline in hunter numbers. I don't know of a single piece of huntable property that doesn't have somebody hunting it, several more wanting to hunt it, and a few more sneaking around and hunting it. You can't even hardly get away from other hunters on millions of acres of national forest land. You can't sling a housecat twenty feet without hitting a hunter with it.

It might be that way up in your area, but down here in Ga there aren't near as many hunters as there used to be, certain areas might get a lot of hunting pressure, but overall the amount of people that deer hunt is down from 15-20yrs ago, as guys like us get older at some point we quit hunting, and the number of young hunters is nothing like it was when I was young, too many electronic distractions I guess, too interested in cool stuff on social media , just like most young people can't drive a manual transmission vehicle, most have no idea of hunting or fishing, I blame modern parents to some degree, I know quite a few guys in their 30's with kids, who have never been hunting, or even owned a gun . Most of them are auto techs that work on cars, so its not a matter of getting their hands dirty , not sure what the root cause is ?