Hipsters, the next generation of hunters.

PappyHoel

They even have leafy camo in different patterns and colors

wL6RV46rS3utpWuDGBzQ-po_lSfSY1Mmwy8oBx7lRgQ.jpg

ProAngler

Everyone I have ever known calls a deer born that spring a fawn. Everything else are just deer.

lonewolf247

Iv'e said it before as it relates to other matters. A lot of the blame lies on the parents for not encouraging the younger generation and showing them what hunting is all about. My boys seemed a lot more interested when they were younger because they didn't have all the other distraction's as they do or did as a teenager. My oldest is in his late 20's now and has this year gotten back into it a little.

It needs to start with the parents introducing them to it, as you mentioned, but unfortunately, it's a lot more involved than that! It's just the direction that things are going these days, with technology, and gaming especially. Society is changing so much, and our kids are exposed thru their friends, schoolmates, etc; that keeping them into hunting, the way that we were brought up, is just really a tough thing.

All of that being said, I tried extremely hard with my son, to keep him interested in hunting, fishing, camping, sports, and other outdoor activities. He took to them immediately, and became a lot more successful at a young age than I ever was. I had to work really hard to become a competent deer hunter, but my training was so much different. I never hunted in a stand with my dad, and was put on a deer stand on my very first hunt by myself at the age of ~10. My son hunted with me for several years, and with my guidance, he was an instant success.

He kept a good balance between outdoor activities, and technology, gaming, and all that stuff till he got in his upper teens. Unfortunately now, he stills enjoys hunting when he goes, but it's few and far between. As you mentioned, it's much easier when they are younger. Hopefully this phase shall pass, and he will come back to hunting again.

Anyhow, I think introducing a youth to hunting and outdoor sports are some of the best things that you can do for them. It's also very rewarding as a parent, to see your efforts and instruction pay off when the youth is successful and has a great time!

DeoVindice

I've helped two different guys get their first deer. One was a guy in his mid 30's, a real good guy who is a lot like most of us except he had never had many opportunities to hunt. The other was my oldest hunting buddy's son, when he was 12. He killed a spike out of my blind. Both experiences were great for me and for them. Helping someone get their first deer is really rewarding. At least it was for me.

I don't picture too many snowflake hipsters becoming die hard hunters, but I am all for teaching and bringing in the next generation. I see lots of young hunters all over the place, and the ones I see make me proud. They are good kids, and are completely worthy of carrying the torch.

I am adamant in the belief that we need more hunters, not less. If that means I kill a couple less deer in my lifetime, so be it. It ain't all about me.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
So, everybody you know still calls this year's fawn in the fall a yearling like everybody else does, unless you're around, because they know you'll go all professor and lecture them with Google info that contradicts common usage that people have said for a couple hundred years? ::ke::bounce:

A fawn has spots. A yearling is a half-grown young of the year fawn in the fall after its spots are gone. According to almost everybody except Google. And Google has never been hunting. It's run by city slickers in California. :)

I'm just going by over half a century of life on earth, in which every single time I've ever heard someone refer to a "yearling," they were talking about a young of the YEAR.

That's it. I've had it with you.

I'm going to transition into a hipster, buy a Subaru, get a coexist decal(sticker for the 99% of people) for the back window and grow a fruity looking beard.

edit: Is it too late to change my vote to Stacey Abrams?

Last edited:

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
...I believe it’s because no one wants to say “I shot a doe fawn this morning”. Yurlin sure sounds bigger and better...

That's funny. I was thinking about NCHillbilly while I was in the shower this morning and your exact thought came to mind.

Mark K

Banned
Guess I’m the exception. A fawn is this years deer, a yearling is that same deer next season. If you have any management plans, you better keep the terms or meanings correct.

Jim Boyd

Guess I’m the exception. A fawn is this years deer, a yearling is that same deer next season. If you have any management plans, you better keep the terms or meanings correct.

I think we are in the minority but I call this years deer a fawn ( they are still spotted when we start hunting) and I call last years deer a yearling.

The yearlings (in my vocabulary) are easy to distinguish from a two year old. The yearling still has the “square” body / leg profile and the two year old is then rectangular.

Our fawns 35-55 lbs
Yearlings. 50-75 lbs
Does 70-110 lbs

These weights are general (during hunting season) but are typical for my area of SC.

Not worth fussing over, they are all just deer.

transfixer

I've never really thought about the term "yearling" much, but I've always considered this years deer to be off limits for the most part, they're usually only 4 to 8 months old by the time deer season starts here in Ga, and next year they'll be rougly 1 1/2 yrs old, its normally easy enough to tell by their size and short nose. I guess if I've described them in the past its been by "this years deer" or 1 1/2yr old, since we've refrained from shooting does the last few years it hasn't come up much in our camp.

PappyHoel

I stop calling it a fawn when the spots are gone.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That's funny. I was thinking about NCHillbilly while I was in the shower this morning and your exact thought came to mind.
:eek2: That's not healthy. :eek2:

splatek

UAEC
I laugh at skinny jeans and groomed beards as much as the next guy, but I'll tell you what: I sure wish something like this happened when I was a kid, because then I wouldn't be a 44 year old man trying to teach myself the ins and outs.

Mentorship is so important and maybe even more so when we are talking about bows, crossbows, and firearms, as well as, taking the life of an animal, processing it appropriately, harvesting the meat (not just the antlers), etc.
I really wish I had that sort of mentorship when I was young; one of the reasons I am trying to learn this sport is so that if/when my 8 year old decides he wants to learn I will be able to help him.

And who knows, maybe hunting is "the cure" for hipsteritis. HAHA