Hipsters, the next generation of hunters.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Nothing wrong with getting young people into hunting, but labeling it as a sustainable food source is false advertising. 1 million deer vs 10 million Georgia’s. Not sure how that would be sustainable.

As long as the total harvest is appropriately managed it will be sustainable regardless of the number of hunters. You may just have to wait on a quota deer tag. Don't forget that there are tons of other huntable species that are pretty under-utilized, suburban squirrels especially.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I just don't see the decline in hunter numbers. I don't know of a single piece of huntable property that doesn't have somebody hunting it, several more wanting to hunt it, and a few more sneaking around and hunting it. You can't even hardly get away from other hunters on millions of acres of national forest land. You can't sling a housecat twenty feet without hitting a hunter with it.

In 2014 through 2018, Georgia has had more deer hunters than at any point in history.

PappyHoel

In 2014 through 2018, Georgia has had more deer hunters than at any point in history.
Don’t say we don’t need more hunters you will be attacked. And for god sakes don’t quote facts.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Change in plans! Turns out that skinny jeans aren't made for fellas 6'-2" & 235lbs.

I guess I'll just have to stay a toxically masculine heterosexual conservative white male with hair in my butt crack. Or as Nancy Pelosi would say, the devil.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Just forget I mentioned that whole shower thing.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Just forget I mentioned that whole shower thing.

There are somethings you just cannot unsee?

OK so now I know the difference between a fawn and a yearling......how long does it take for a fawn to lose his spots?
I would think I would probably call a deer a yearling as soon as it loses its spots and all fawns have spots

swamp hunter

We just call them Little Deer...I seen 2 little deer this morning works for us.
We don't get into Body size , Possible sex , Or ageing other than...Seen a couple little Deer this morning...

139sst

In my opinion, way too many hunters already. If you dont believe me try to find a lease on the Weyerhaeuser or Rayonier websites or any Timber company website for that matter, all the leases are gone. Try to go find a lease in the upper coastal plain,
if one is available its because its a clearcut and the owner wants 20 per acre. Guys are paying 7000 to 10000 per gun to hunt south in south florida. Maybe somewhere there is a hunter decline but it is for sure not in the Southeast. Ps. I havent drawn an
Sta permit in 3 years. I am praying for a hunter shortage!!

ProAngler

As long as the total harvest is appropriately managed it will be sustainable regardless of the number of hunters. You may just have to wait on a quota deer tag. Don't forget that there are tons of other huntable species that are pretty under-utilized, suburban squirrels especially.

Yeah wish I liked squirrels a little better, or they had a little more meat to them to make it worth the effort.

If a hunting practice causes you to change the hunting regulations to further limit hunting than that would mean that hunting practice is not sustainable. It would not make much sense to spend money on hunting equipment if you could only harvest a deer every few years if the only goal is to feed yourself. But yes you could regulate the deer population at any level of hunters.

ddd-shooter

...and also more people...
Say what you will, the percentages of hunters who make up the general population are down from historical highs. Not to mention, the demographic is way skewed to the baby boomer demographic who are rapidly aging out of the hunting demographic.

Some responses to this thread are classic American popular thinking. “I’ve got a good thing going, a great hobby that can provide a healthy alternative to many of the problems millennials are facing, but ya know what?
The heck with them.
I’d rather sit in my private treehouse on my huge lease by myself and write jokes about them on the internet. You know, jokes about the kinds of people they are nowadays. If only they were raised like us, say, hunting? If only someone showed them the outdoors, like someone did with us...maybe they wouldn’t be so crazy and lazy. But nah, much better to sit and laugh behind my keyboard and fear the day some hipster shares the woods with me and kills “my” deer.”
Maybe if we just keep talking down to them and telling them not to vote Democrat, the problem will fix itself. I’m sure when we are an even smaller percentage of the general public and still talking down to outsiders they’ll vote our way.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
...and also more people...
Say what you will, the percentages of hunters who make up the general population are down from historical highs. Not to mention, the demographic is way skewed to the baby boomer demographic who are rapidly aging out of the hunting demographic.

Some responses to this thread are classic American popular thinking. “I’ve got a good thing going, a great hobby that can provide a healthy alternative to many of the problems millennials are facing, but ya know what?
The heck with them.
I’d rather sit in my private treehouse on my huge lease by myself and write jokes about them on the internet. You know, jokes about the kinds of people they are nowadays. If only they were raised like us, say, hunting? If only someone showed them the outdoors, like someone did with us...maybe they wouldn’t be so crazy and lazy. But nah, much better to sit and laugh behind my keyboard and fear the day some hipster shares the woods with me and kills “my” deer.”
Maybe if we just keep talking down to them and telling them not to vote Democrat, the problem will fix itself. I’m sure when we are an even smaller percentage of the general public and still talking down to outsiders they’ll vote our way.

I'm not quite sure how you took what I said, but I welcome all new hunters regardless of upbringing, demographics, or political stance. It's a good thing that we have more deer hunters than ever before, especially after a decade of declining hunter numbers.

buckpasser

My little group of hunting folks down here are all private land hunters and no one brings in new folks because it does seem crowded out there. I personally want to see more people support hunting and theoretically want more hunters (except turkey hunters), but I don’t practice what I preach I guess. I plan to add 2 hunters to the brotherhood (my kids), but will make a conscious effort to bring in someone new starting now. Maybe even a hipster.

You old timers are butt hurt because we’re killing bigger deer than you did when you were our age. Take your vitamins and go to bed already. Some of you whine more now than we ever will.

ddd-shooter

I'm not quite sure how you took what I said, but I welcome all new hunters regardless of upbringing, demographics, or political stance. It's a good thing that we have more deer hunters than ever before, especially after a decade of declining hunter numbers.
Agree with what you said, it’s just some of the posts. Terrible outlook for our sport.

Jim Boyd

You old timers are butt hurt because we’re killing bigger deer than you did when you were our age. Take your vitamins and go to bed already. Some of you whine more now than we ever will.

Eagle

Careful....

Probably some old timers out there with a few good ones.

I am an old man and am not butt hurt at all.

I love the thought of mentoring and bringing new folks in.

The skinny camo would not bother me a bit.

Best of luck...

139sst

Tier II Permit Areas: Refer to the permit worksheet for availability specific areas.
Area NamePermit CostMaximum ParticipantsTimber Pasture Unit$20,0001 permittee and 4 participantsPepper Field Unit$7,5001 permittee and 2 participantsSugar Hill ‒ East Unit$30,0001 permittee and 6 participantsSugar Hill ‒ West Unit$30,0001 permittee and 6 participantsCypress Head Unit$14,5001 permittee and 4 participantsYearling Pasture Unit$20,0001 permittee and 4 participantsDeep Freeze - North Unit$21,0001 permittee and 4 participantsDeep Freeze - South Unit$19,0001 permittee and 4 participantsMyrtle Slough Unit$23,0001 permittee and 4 participantsPossum Pond Unit$37,0001 permittee and 9 participantsSouth Lightered Unit$53,0001 permittee and 9 participantsSawgrass Unit$39,0001 permittee and 9 participantsBull Head Unit$43,5001 permittee and 9 participantsCurry Lake Unit$33,7541 permittee and 9 participants

These are Florida management areas in the southwest zone. Not private land.
You guys in Central Georgia wouldn't even consider hunting these lands for free!!

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Tier II Permit Areas: Refer to the permit worksheet for availability specific areas.
Area NamePermit CostMaximum ParticipantsTimber Pasture Unit$20,0001 permittee and 4 participantsPepper Field Unit$7,5001 permittee and 2 participantsSugar Hill ‒ East Unit$30,0001 permittee and 6 participantsSugar Hill ‒ West Unit$30,0001 permittee and 6 participantsCypress Head Unit$14,5001 permittee and 4 participantsYearling Pasture Unit$20,0001 permittee and 4 participantsDeep Freeze - North Unit$21,0001 permittee and 4 participantsDeep Freeze - South Unit$19,0001 permittee and 4 participantsMyrtle Slough Unit$23,0001 permittee and 4 participantsPossum Pond Unit$37,0001 permittee and 9 participantsSouth Lightered Unit$53,0001 permittee and 9 participantsSawgrass Unit$39,0001 permittee and 9 participantsBull Head Unit$43,5001 permittee and 9 participantsCurry Lake Unit$33,7541 permittee and 9 participants

These are Florida management areas in the southwest zone. Not private land.
You guys in Central Georgia wouldn't even consider hunting these lands for free!!

That's crazy. Is the demand that high to hunt deer in South Florida or is there a secret stash on 200" deer down there?

I'm assuming that a $20,000 permittee with 4 participants mean four people are paying $5,000 each to hunt.