Hog Proof Trough Feeder Ideas

XJfire75

Hey y’all I need help trying to build a trough feeder since hogs moved in and destroyed my 300lb tripod gravity feeder and ate it empty in 1 day.

Can I simply build a normal trough feeder with a roof but make the feed level higher where the hogs won’t reach it as easily! And make the feet and base of it heavier so they can top it over? Never dealt with hogs so trying to still be able to feed protein to the deer and not have them destroy more of our stuff.

Thanks!

oldguy

I just did that with a water trough the hogs were messing up. Up off the ground on a frame, the deer can reach it but not the hogs. Fixing to do the same thing with the trough - bottom half of a plastic 55 gal. drum. Trap 'em at the site as well. Killed 6 the first night the trap was set. Waiting now 'til daylight to go check it again!

RootConservative

Follow what Triple C did. I did the same thing around most of my feeders. Tractor Supply sells hog panels that are 34" tall and the deer jump over it no problem. Most of my feeders have a 30' diameter around them. One the deer didn't like the panels so doubled the size to a 60' diameter and then the deer had no problem. Then you can use whatever type of feeder you want. But, the Double D Gravity feeder that Triple C has in the picture above is really good and will help keep your feed costs down and you will only be feeding deer. Other feeders coons can mess them up.

Triple C

But, the Double D Gravity feeder that Triple C has in the picture above is really good and will help keep your feed costs down and you will only be feeding deer. Other feeders coons can mess them up.

Gogators - Interesting story on the Double D feeder. One of the first items I bought after acquiring my property in 2011 was a Texas Hunter barrel feeder and the Double D feeder shown in the pic. Both have been out in the weather since summer of 2011.
Texas Hunter barrel feeder just rusted out this year on the bottom. That Double D looks as good as it did the day I purchased it. It's galvanized and not a single spot of rust on it to this day. I met the guy that makes em at the GON Blast that was held somewhere in middle GA in 2011 and loaded it up that day.

I also have 2 Banks feeders that have been out since 2014. They are fading and showing a little sign of warping but that Double D is indestructible. And, with the exception of one really big hog that got his front feet up on the trough in 2012, I've never got a pic since of a pig being able to eat out of the feeder, even before we put the exclusion corrals around the feeders. I'm gonna replace the TH feeders as the rust out with the DDs.

Triple C

Here's the only pic I ever got of a hog getting it's snout in the DD feeder. Pic was taken in 2012. Feeder still looks like that today.Pig in feeder.JPG

crasm1

Hey y’all I need help trying to build a trough feeder since hogs moved in and destroyed my 300lb tripod gravity feeder and ate it empty in 1 day.

Can I simply build a normal trough feeder with a roof but make the feed level higher where the hogs won’t reach it as easily! And make the feet and base of it heavier so they can top it over? Never dealt with hogs so trying to still be able to feed protein to the deer and not have them destroy more of our stuff.

Thanks!
I have only run troughs since we were allowed to feed. I tried everything. the only things that keep hogs out is hog paneling. google texas and mississippi hog panel studies and it will give a great explanation of what to build. 6 sixteen foot panels in the ideal

reflexman

Snake Dodger
I pulled the plug on my feeder just put out a bag of corn every now and again.And my trail cam pics dropped significantly.We use to use the taller panels on the ranch for mobile corrals and loading shoots.Do The hogs try to get under the panels also do you stake them at the bottom ect thanks

RootConservative

I pulled the plug on my feeder just put out a bag of corn every now and again.And my trail cam pics dropped significantly.We use to use the taller panels on the ranch for mobile corrals and loading shoots.Do The hogs try to get under the panels also do you stake them at the bottom ect thanks
We did not have to bottom stake them. Just T posts. But each panel has two wire clamps keeping the panels connected to each other. The first time I put up panels I went with 5' cattle panels and some deer would jump it others not. Then I found out about the hog panels 34" tall after speaking to pecan grove owners that put it around their property to keep hogs out. At 34" even yearlings can jump it. We have yet to knowingly have had a hog breach it. I run cameras on all the feeders and never had hog inside. Plenty of pics of them checking the perimeter.

RootConservative

Gogators - Interesting story on the Double D feeder. One of the first items I bought after acquiring my property in 2011 was a Texas Hunter barrel feeder and the Double D feeder shown in the pic. Both have been out in the weather since summer of 2011.
Texas Hunter barrel feeder just rusted out this year on the bottom. That Double D looks as good as it did the day I purchased it. It's galvanized and not a single spot of rust on it to this day. I met the guy that makes em at the GON Blast that was held somewhere in middle GA in 2011 and loaded it up that day.

I also have 2 Banks feeders that have been out since 2014. They are fading and showing a little sign of warping but that Double D is indestructible. And, with the exception of one really big hog that got his front feet up on the trough in 2012, I've never got a pic since of a pig being able to eat out of the feeder, even before we put the exclusion corrals around the feeders. I'm gonna replace the TH feeders as the rust out with the DDs.
We have two Double D's and another Double "D" Big Buck. Next time I get one it's going to be the Double "D" GARGANTUAN BUCK. Like Triple C I also have 2 banks feeders another 55 gallon gravity feeder and some troughs with roofs. The Banks feeders for some reason get moisture in the feeding tubes and then the protein/corn gets caked in there and have to clean them out more often. Just like Triple C we have had the Double D's out for 10 years and they are tanks and expect them to last a lifetime based on their current performance. If anyone is interested in learning about them here is a link, https://www.wildernesscalls.com/double--d--gravity-deer-feeder

Last edited: