Hognose Snake

cre8foru

I found this Eastern Hognose Snake in the road while visiting the Okefenokee Swamp this week. I quickly stopped to usher him out of the road. When I moved him he immediately went into his playing dead routine and what a performance it was with mouth open and tongue hanging out. If you click on the photo it will take you to my flickr page and you can click through and see his playing dead routine and watch him come back to life.

Eastern Hognose Snake by cre8foru2009, on Flickr

Smokey

Snakes are always cool photography subjects and of course you always nail the photograph.

Hoss

Great find and some wonderful photos Cre8. I really like the one where he looks like he's checking to see if you are still there.

wvdawg

Staff member
Neat series! Great shots!

carver

That's one snake I've never seen in the wild, nicely captured

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
Awesome!!!

Love his light coloration too! They are the oscar winners of the reptile kingdom no doubt!!

Did he cough up a toad or two while rolling over "dying"?? LOL!

caughtinarut

I must be raising them here in cook county. I found 4 in the early summer. One did cough up a toad by the way. They are cool snakes either playing dead or spreading their little head out like a cobra. what is the difference between a southern hognose and an eastern hognose?

cre8foru

I must be raising them here in cook county. I found 4 in the early summer. One did cough up a toad by the way. They are cool snakes either playing dead or spreading their little head out like a cobra. what is the difference between a southern hognose and an eastern hognose?

How cool to find 4 of them. Southern Hognose has more of a spotted pattern and they are only in the southern part of Georgia. You probably have both where you are. They love sandy areas where they can burrow.