Hogs on WMAs

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
The closest one to you probably does.....cohutta has lots but all the mtn hogs are super tough to get"........more so than in the south

Last edited:

chrislibby88

Tuckahoe and Beaverdam used to have good populations. Not sure about now.
Beaverdam is still covered with hogs. Half the WMA was clearcut a few years ago, and now it’s grown so thick with 15ft saplings and briars that you can’t walk through it.

Redbeard01

Beaverdam has a lot of hogs and some monsters as well. Better get in there and fight the mosquitoes now before too many folks start hunting because they go completely nocturnal after the early season hunters and squirrel dogs hit the woods. I put out 4 trail cameras in Nov. and Dec. Got plenty of pictures, all after dark. Hunt early and late. Slow hunt the draws close to the river and listen. You might catch one getting up from the bed, but your best bet is to listen and head toward them when you hear them squeeling and fighting. Be ready to work through some thick stuff. They will be feeding heavy around the white oaks and water oaks. Good luck!!!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Brother you just got some great advice......so did i?? Not that I’ll ever be there, but I love the info and Red nailed it! Let us know how y’all do!

chrislibby88

Beaverdam has a lot of hogs and some monsters as well. Better get in there and fight the mosquitoes now before too many folks start hunting because they go completely nocturnal after the early season hunters and squirrel dogs hit the woods. I put out 4 trail cameras in Nov. and Dec. Got plenty of pictures, all after dark. Hunt early and late. Slow hunt the draws close to the river and listen. You might catch one getting up from the bed, but your best bet is to listen and head toward them when you hear them squeeling and fighting. Be ready to work through some thick stuff. They will be feeding heavy around the white oaks and water oaks. Good luck!!!

Good tip. Also, palmettos are fruiting now. I catch a BUNCH of hogs in palmettos in late summer/early fall, and they are pretty easy to stalk in them, they make a lot of noise so the hogs can’t hear well, and the thick patches are usually over eye height on pigs, so they can’t see you either. Make sure you stay up wind, which is tricky in the bottoms since the wind swirls.

You may be able to catch the last few muscadines and persimmons the first few weeks of season too, so keep an eye out for those.

Houseme1971

Good tip. Also, palmettos are fruiting now. I catch a BUNCH of hogs in palmettos in late summer/early fall, and they are pretty easy to stalk in them, they make a lot of noise so the hogs can’t hear well, and the thick patches are usually over eye height on pigs, so they can’t see you either. Make sure you stay up wind, which is tricky in the bottoms since the wind swirls.

You may be able to catch the last few muscadines and persimmons the first few weeks of season too, so keep an eye out for those.
I believe I will be headed to Beaver Dam in the am. Spend the morning around the river bottom.

Houseme1971

Thanks, I will be happy to post any pics if I kill something. i am a little embarrassed to say but I have never killed a hog. I have been in GA for a few years now and just have not spent enough time hunting them to kill one. Maybe tomorrow is the day! We shall see.

NickDeer

Thanks, I will be happy to post any pics if I kill something. i am a little embarrassed to say but I have never killed a hog. I have been in GA for a few years now and just have not spent enough time hunting them to kill one. Maybe tomorrow is the day! We shall see.
Good luck

chrislibby88

I believe I will be headed to Beaver Dam in the am. Spend the morning around the river bottom.
It’s gonna be tough to get down in the river bottom on the north side of Beaverdam. It’s super thick with saplings and regrown. You’ll have to find a road that takes you to the east side. Good luck! Hope you find some!

NickDeer

You see anything?

JDBrown

I used to hunt a property a couple of days a year that joined up with Beaverdam back in the 90s, I saw more hog sign there than any where I've ever hunted. Part of it was planted in pines, and the hogs had rooted up and trampled some on the edges, I never saw any, but I hunted a ridge overlooking a swamp bottom, and heard them working through. If the population is close to the same, I'd bet you'll see some, good luck!