Holiday Success

beaulesye10

Well I figured I’d share my December fun with you guys since I’ve been stuck at the house doing honey doos the last few days with my better half home. Funny how her time off equals more work for me :smash:

December 10th
Early December I found a funnel on a piece of property I lease and decided to slip in and hunt it on the first decent wind. I slipped in an hour before daybreak and slipped up a pine tree and hung my M60 and pulled up my bibs since it was the first day below freezing I had set all year. Had a small buck come through right at first light and then at 730 I hear deer approaching from my SW I stand and ready myself as two does and yearling come slipping in directly to the base of my tree. The lead doe looks right up at me and bolts. I give out a yell and she stops at a little more hard angle that I like. She was inside 15 yards and thought the Grizzly would have no trouble slipping right up in her with the 69lbs of bow and 700 grain arrow. I picked my spot just in front of her ham and let loose aiming just below center. She ducked hard and the arrow cut down the side of her back and looked to hit her in the head. She hit the ground, rolled around some then ran out of sight. About 10 minutes after the shot in the direction of the compass bearing I had taken I heard a deer blow a few times then nothing else. I ended up seeing 6 more deer that morning and missing a very large doe when my middle finger seemed to stick to the string. I nearly ripped my arm out of socket. Arrow flew harmlessly 4 feet over her head. I climbed down a little after lunch and retrieved my miss then went to my arrow from deer number one to find it had passed through the deer. Had little blood on it. Had me concerned, but as I started down the compass bearing I found blood and buckets of it. The deer ended up bedding 4 times and died in her final bed 145 steps from the shot. I glanced off her back shaving abut 6 inches of hair off before entering her neck just below her left ear and exiting just under her right jaw bone. I guess I was lucky and she was unfortunate. I took multiple photos of the arrow and the dumb smiling hunter with his prize. however when I went to review them none were there. :huh:

December 25th
I was able to sneak away for an afternoon hunt with my father. I decided to sit a bait site we had a few doe showing up on and see if I could get lucky. Around 430pm I was able to let a small 8pt walk at 10 yards. I watched him feed and then mosey on down the creek. Around 515 I caught movement coming up the creek. I pulled the binos up to see a small doe walking right to me. She comes in to the feed and eats a second then jumps the log separating her from me. Walks directly under my treestand as I stand and turn and comes to a stop at 9 steps. I pick my spot just at the base of her brown hair and let the arrow fly. The lighted nocked disappears behind her shoulder with a thwack.
16229144_526465584393803_6753270232493588480_n(1).jpg
I watch as She makes a short 40 yard run and collapses. I climbed down and followed a very liberal blood trail to my prize. This was the first deer I’ve shot with a silver flame xl, don’t think the head is worth the money, however it sure puts a big hole.
25017147_1743654528987147_3612712265016410112_n.jpg

December 27th

I eased back to a piece of Public land near my house that doesn't open to the public until mid December for my second hunt this year there. I had set before the Christmas Holidays and been about 50 yards off the tree that was being hit as I watched 3 does feed for almost an hour out of range that evening. I had to make a big loop this day to get the wind in my favor nearly a mile walk out of my way. I made it to the base of the tree around 330pm and started to put my magic climbing shoes on. As I attached my rope to my bow I heard a pig grunt and palmettos being rustled. I untied my bow, slipped my glove on as a mid sized sow slipped past me inside my comfortable range. As I knocked my arrow I mouth grunted as what looked to be her twin sister stopped in a small gap, ever so slightly quartered in. I picked my spot on her shoulder and the weight of the bow disappeared from my fingers. I watched as the pig squealed and ran with my arrow burred up to the 10 inch orange wrap on my 30 inch arrow. I undid all my gear and packed everything up. I stepped off the shot at 17 yards and followed hands down the best blood trail of my bow hunting career 153 steps to my prize.
25039353_2019572178321909_7135434511231221760_n.jpg

She made for a quick clean and package into the backpack.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BdOUDE7lClnnb-kJMS1mNNdWZY4ywF8zz1gi4M0/?taken-by=beauleyse

I have to be honest the pack out in the cold and rain, and the extra weight from all the family's' Christmas eating the past few days, was a little more than this big boy wanted, but we arrived safely to the trucks just as it became too dark to see.
image1 (2).jpg

Hope the new year brings many bloody arrows and even more memories to you all. Happy New Year, and I hope to see you around a campfire soon.

Barebowyer

Great stories. Thanks for sharing and well done