Home defense gun

GoldDot40

Get a different gun.

If you have a gun as your line of defense, you should have "fluffed and buffed it" and not have any fear of it jamming.

....only in a perfect world.

Guns can jam and have zero to do with the gun itself.

SC Hunter

I have a 870 3 steps from the bed in the closet, there is a glock in the nightstand on my lady's side of the bed. A ruger 9mm on top of the refrigerator, my lcp sits in a box behind the couch with my wallet and pocket stuff. The 870 has buckshot in it but if I ever go looking around at night I always have the glock just because I am so comfortable with it.

GoldDot40

You'd argue with a tree. The point is that any crackhead with an itchy trigger finger can pump 2 shots into somebody wasting their time trying to rack a shell in the chamber. Regardless if you have a flawless, spotless, well lubricated weapon....ANY THING could happen causing a fail to feed. It could happen due to distorted brass with a small enough flaw you didn't notice it when loading.

I've personally seen it at the range with flawless, spotless, well lubricated weapons. All jams happen during round entrance and exit.

A gun without a round in the chamber is equivalent to a ball bat. Having one ready is guaranteed to go bang at least once.

Your move...

B. White

Keep a 18" MB 500 handy and also a MB SPX semi auto. I figure which ever one I grab, the wife will likely grab the other.

MOTS

Single shot Stevens 12ga with 2.75" 00 Buckshot is my door gun.

NOYDB

BANNED
I RTM, every gun I have ever owned I obtained the spec and disassembly manual from the maker. I have taken them COMPLETELY apart. Cleaned and lubed them. Checked them for operation. I inspect every round as loaded. I have never had a jam.

But I know most aren't as OCD as I am.

If you walk out and expose yourself in a perceived hostile situation. And the perp is willing to shoot. You are already dead.

Darien1

In addition to my Beretta 92 I keep a 20 gauge Stoeger Double Defender with #4 Buck and a SKS Paratrooper next to the bed.

ryanh487

The best home defense gun you can get is a pistol caliber carbine, particularly in an AR platform. 9mm with 147 grain +P hollow points will be easy to control, easy to shoot, easy to maneuver around corners, and won't travel into the next county if you miss. It's also lower recoil and less muzzle flash, and cheap and easy to practice with at any range.

GA native

Just to throw some cold water on this party, most burglaries occur while the house is empty. So the best weapon for home defense is, a big nasty dog.

B. White

Just to throw some cold water on this party, most burglaries occur while the house is empty. So the best weapon for home defense is, a big nasty dog.[/QUOTE

I consider my two one-hundred pounders a deterrent, not a weapon. I can't predict what they will do, but I know what the two legged critters here will do. I ain't betting my life on them when I am around, long as I have the right to arm myself.

DannyW

I fall with the shotgun guys. Mine is a Remington 870 Special Purpose 12 GA with a 20" barrel. I removed the plug so to hold 5 shells, and I put in the cylinder bore choke. It stays about 2-3 steps away from the sofa where I watch TV every evening.

It's full of coyote loads, because that was what I had handy, but in a 20-30 foot home defense situation I wonder if #4 or #6 shot might be just as effective, and less likely to unintentionally kill someone in the next room. In fact, now that I think about it, I believe I will look for a box of 3" #6 shot the next time I am at the store. That should take the starch out of any intruder trying to break down my door.

We can debate rifle vs shotgun vs pistol and semi-auto vs pump all day but the most important part is that you actually have a home defense weapon, it's handy, and you know how to properly use it. The actual weapon itself is largely a matter of what you personally feel most comfortable using.

660griz

We can debate rifle vs shotgun vs pistol and semi-auto vs pump all day but the most important part is that you actually have a home defense weapon, it's handy, and you know how to properly use it. The actual weapon itself is largely a matter of what you personally feel most comfortable using.

Good post.
:clap:

kingfish

Two weeks ago early morning my parents, both in their 80's, fended off an attempted home invasion at their house. My dad pistol whipped one of the two guys who was half way in the house. They couldn't kick in the front door so they broke through the window on the front porch. Rather than shoot, he just basically wore the guy out with the butt of his pistol, until the guy and his partner ran off. Long story short, mom called 911 and they got both the cracked out guys. After all was said and done, my dad called the sheriffs department and asked what they recommended for home security, and they said a shot gun. The reasons are it is basically point and click, way less chance of pass through and way more accurate under high adrenaline situations. Makes a lot of sense. This was the Jacksonville Sheriffs Office. They also recommended the Taurus Judge pistol so looking into that too. Both parents are fine, no harm came to them which is a blessing.

ryanh487

Two weeks ago early morning my parents, both in their 80's, fended off an attempted home invasion at their house. My dad pistol whipped one of the two guys who was half way in the house. They couldn't kick in the front door so they broke through the window on the front porch. Rather than shoot, he just basically wore the guy out with the butt of his pistol, until the guy and his partner ran off. Long story short, mom called 911 and they got both the cracked out guys. After all was said and done, my dad called the sheriffs department and asked what they recommended for home security, and they said a shot gun. The reasons are it is basically point and click, way less chance of pass through and way more accurate under high adrenaline situations. Makes a lot of sense. This was the Jacksonville Sheriffs Office. They also recommended the Taurus Judge pistol so looking into that too. Both parents are fine, no harm came to them which is a blessing.

It is an urban legend that shotguns require no aiming.

In a house setting, which will usually be a shot inside 7 yards, a shotgun pattern is only about 3-4" tops. That still requires aim.

kingfish

That's exactly told my parents, you still have to aim. I think law enforcement pushes the shotgun route because of the projectile going through a target and then into something else. However, because of their age, I think the shotgun best fits their needs. My dad was also told that bear spray, not mace is a much better deterrent in close quarter home defense.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
That's exactly told my parents, you still have to aim. I think law enforcement pushes the shotgun route because of the projectile going through a target and then into something else. However, because of their age, I think the shotgun best fits their needs. My dad was also told that bear spray, not mace is a much better deterrent in close quarter home defense.

I would strongly caution against using bear spray in an enclosed environment. Especially with elderly parents. The residual results could be fatal.

Big7

The Oracle
Just throwing this out there.

Before my Dad passed, I tried to get him
to go along with a Taurus - Judge.
Even told him I'd pay.

He was in pretty bad shape the last year or
so of his life. Wanted him to "point" rather than "aim".

A face full of #4 shot will do the trick.
Plus it will shoot 000 Buck and .45 Colt
if you want to.

VERY versatile wepon IMO.

I have never owned one but have a bud that
has the 2 1/2" and 3" version. I have shot both numerous times.

If I didn't already have just about everything, That
is what I would get.
;)

ryanh487

taurus judge has been tested time and again and shown worthless against anything other than snakes. #4 buckshot from a 2.5" .410 does not have penetration power to get through bone to the important stuff. There's a video of an officer that gets a face full of it and because the pattern gets slung open but the rifled barrel only a few pellets hit and he walked away from it.