Home Depot Universal Thermocouple

someguyintraffic

Anybody ever used them? Plumber that just came and did what I just did this afternoon said theyre chinese junk. Pilot wouldnt stay lit. I replaced thermocouple with HD universal and had tip halfway in pilot flame and it wouldnt stay lit. Casteel sends a guy, he checks valve was good, says no leaks, burner and connections good, put in a new thermocouple out of the truck and it fires right up. Took my HD thermocouple when he cleaned up. Cant get my $15 back from Arthur Blank!

Artfuldodger

I've always used Robert Shaw. I guess even a new one of them could be bad though.
On a side note those new water heaters with Honeywell gas valves are known to have faulty piezo igniters. You can plug a gas grill piezo to it and not go to the trouble to install a factory one.

My furnace is so old it has a standing pilot. I had to replace the gas valve last year when the thermocouple wouldn't fix it. Maybe I just had a bad new thermocouple.

Killdee

I installed a new Rheem heater at my sisters last year and already had to replace the gs valve and thermopile. It was a Honeywell. Rheem did replace it no charge and it shipped 2 day.

Artfuldodger

I installed a new Rheem heater at my sisters last year and already had to replace the gs valve and thermopile. It was a Honeywell. Rheem did replace it no charge and it shipped 2 day.

I forgot they call those thermapiles. They produce more voltage. My new A.O. Smith peizo igniter didn't work when new. They did send me a whole new gas valve kit. I just replaced the piezo with a grill type for now.