Home School Success Story

LittleDrummerBoy

Psalm 37:25 I have been young, and now am old, yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken or his children begging for bread.

We met significant resistance, even from purported "Christians", when we decided to home school our children a few years ago. Our main motive was to keep them from indoctrination in the wickedness that was pervasive in our local public schools and to disciple them in the ways of God. Academic excellence was a secondary motive.

We had suffered some significant financial setbacks over matters of faith and conscience by the time our oldest (a daughter) graduated from high school in 2016. Most of our savings was depleted, and we were unable to provide anywhere near the financial support we had hoped. But the Lord provided a combination of scholarships from the Zell Miller program, the American Chemical Society (a chemistry major), and some other sources. Due to the science projects she had completed with her mother and I during high school, she was also happily welcomed into a lab research job at a prominent research center at her university.

As it happens, she parlayed her reputation from that lab job into an internship this summer at one of the most prominent national laboratories in her field. She so impressed her chain of command with her summer research that some of her results were presented to Congress last week, and she was offered a full time research job upon her graduation next Spring. Owing to the Lord's provision, she will also be graduating debt free.

Now, I'm not going to lie. Home schooling was hard. Not so much the daily interactions with the students - they were very hard working and disciplined and a joy to work with most of the time. But it was hard to give up being a two income family and leave a job I loved dearly. It was hard to endure the gossip and false accusations relating to harming our children through insufficient "socialization." It was hard to endure the criticism from some well-intended "Christians" relating to preparing a daughter to be educated to be a top notch scientist in addition to a wife and mother. But it was worth it.
ERC.jpgERC2.jpgERC3.jpgERC4.jpgERC5.jpgERC6.jpg

Last edited: