Homegrown Shiitakes

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Picked these off my mushroom logs this afternoon. Got another good batch to pick this weekend. The biggest one is about the size of a pancake.

shiitakes-jpg.948652

GA1dad

I'm gonna have to look into growing some, as much as we love eating them.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I need to learn more about Identifying them Steve.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Tell us how ! I’m intrigued
You inoculate oak logs with the mushroom spawn that you can buy from several places. Short explanation: Drill holes, fill with spawn, cover with wax, and wait about a year.

Cmp1

BANNED
You inoculate oak logs with the mushroom spawn that you can buy from several places. Short explanation: Drill holes, fill with spawn, cover with wax, and wait about a year.
I've done some research on this,,,,we have a couple perfect trees for it,,,,

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Cut your logs in the winter when they’re dormant. You want live, green wood, not deadwood. Let them sit a couple weeks before you innoculate them to let the natural fungicides in the wood dissipate.

You can buy spawn for several different strains of shiitakes, oysters, lions mane, chicken of the woods, hen of the woods and several others.

Trad Cotter at Mushroom Mountain in SC is the best place to order your stuff. He has a good website with a lot of info, and also wrote an excellent book about mushroom growing.

I’m gonna knock up some poplar logs with oysters this winter.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Y’all aint right. :bounce:

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
How long will they keep? Anyway to preserve them to enjoy year round?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
How long will they keep? Anyway to preserve them to enjoy year round?
They'll keep for a week or two in a paper bag in the fridge. You can dry them. They sell dried shiitakes in the grocery store for a lot of $$. You can also lightly sautee them and freeze them.

cjones

You say something like this:

I’m gonna knock up some poplar logs with oysters this winter.

And then say:
Y’all aint right. :bounce:

:oops::unsure::unsure: :D

Those look great! I've been kicking around the idea of growing 'shrooms for a while now. Looks like that shop you recommended is in Easley - I drive through there ever so often for work. Might have to swing by on one trip and check them out!