homemade scent killer recipe

Gamikatsu

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I have followed this recipe and later I made one slight change for future batches. Instead of a cup of baking soda, I used 1/2 cup. A whole cup is hard to dissolve in the liquid and the spray is kind of gritty and really leaves a white residue if it gets on your binoculars, bow, truck, etc.

As far as effectiveness, I'm totally convinced this is as effective as any commercial spray out there, and when you can make a gallon for $3 or so, I really hose down everything with it.

2 cups distilled water
2 cups hydrogen peroxide (brown bottle stuff you put on cuts and scrapes)
1/2 cup baking soda
1 oz scent free shampoo

Distilled water is about $.97 per gallon
Peroxide is $.88 per pint
Baking soda is $3 for a 1lb box
You've probably already got scent free shampoo

You can make gallons for next to nothing.

j_seph

how much of everything did you use?
HIT THE NEXT BUTTON ON THAT SITE

How It's Done
Step 1: Shop
Assemble the ingredients:
2 cups (16 ounces) 3% hydrogen peroxide
2 cups (16 ounces) distilled water
¿¿ cup baking soda
1 ounce unscented shampoo (available at drug or health-food stores)
Step 2: Mix
Gently combine all the ingredients in a large bowl until the baking soda dissolves. Pour this mixture into a 1-gallon lidded container, such as a milk jug. Let it sit for three days with the lid on loosely to allow gases to escape.
Step 3: Bottle
Fill a plastic bottle that has a trigger sprayer with the scent killer. It must be clean, so buy a new one from a hardware store or online (usplastics.com).
Step 4: Wipe
To make scent-killing wipes, place plain brown multifold paper towels-"the kind that come in stacks, not on a roll-"in a small plastic tub with an airtight lid. Cover them with scent killer and let it soak in. Pour out excess liquid and replace the lid. Now you can wipe down boots, bows, and stands, and even use a towel or two to neutralize the sweat you produce shinnying up that perfect white oak.

mr10ss

Yep, that peroxide will off gas, especially combined with surfactants, don't skip the part for allowing the gasses to escape unless you are using vented containers. Don't know for sure if you actually need that much peroxide either. The baking soda is probably doing most of the work after the peroxide has vented.

bamaboy

PassingThrough

The peroxide kills the bacteria from our bodies and sweat. I don't know if this is overkill or not myself but they did the work so I'll follow the recipe. I know it is one very important component.

It is just like old stank running shoes. Want 'em to stop stinking kill the bacteria and throw them in the freezer believe it or not and they don't stink after...Crazy I know.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Yep, I read a "scientific" explanation of why this recipe works and if I recall correctly....

Distilled water, unlike most tap water, has no chemicals/chemical smells

Peroxide kills live bacteria on contact

Baking soda absorbs existing scent

Shampoo changes something about the surface tension in the water so it doesn't bead, but instead soaks into cloth.

scott30415

The HS scent-a-way soap works best in the mix. 2 cap fulls to the mix, the anti bacterial in the soap also helps with effectiveness.

Gamikatsu

From what ive read.... the perixide and baking soda creates a strong oxidizer... it will rust exposed metal very fast. It oxidizes the scents it contacts into something else.... that critters dont seem to mind. But its very cheap and very very effective. More so than any commercial spray

Does leave a white residue on stuff tho... wipes away easily however.

Yall are quite welcome... hope everyone uses this stuff....dont hesitate... make it!!!

Gamikatsu

Oh. To get the soda to disolve better... put the peroxide and water on a pot on the stove... heat just until its completely disolved stirring constantly with a wire wisk... does not settle at all using this method.

Gamikatsu

Mine disolved completely, no settling, no sediment on teh bottom, nothing. Family dollar brand 89 cent box...

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
It won't dissolve because its not a commercial grade baking soda.

The first recipe I found online called for 1 cup of baking soda. Other recipes cut it in half. When using 1/2 cup, it all dissolves.

Farmer Black

I have been doing this for years.... It definitely works, remember to leave the cap loose it will bubble and outgas for about 3 days. I first tried it on an old shop rag that I poured gas on. let the gas evaporate then put it on the rag. gas scent is gone. My wife uses it to spray all sorts stinky of things around the house now

JimLandt

I have read that this concoction is effective at removing skunk odor too, which makes it pretty powerful, if true...