Homosassa advice

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
We're headed down to Homosassa Springs for spring break in a couple of weeks and camping at Nature Resort campground. Any tips for the area would be greatly appreciated! Of particular interest is any decent fishing in or around the river, we will be in a small and slow boat so the trek out to the open gulf is a no go. Would like to target mangrove snapper, spanish mackerel, reds, trout, or anything good to eat.

brriner

I'm headed down next week 13-20. Have you been yet? If so, how'd you do? I'm taking my CS JVX18 and can get to the Gulf in about 20 minutes ( a mile of no wake before I can open up)

Any pointers would be appreciated!

Thanks,

B

pottydoc

Stay in the channel. I mean right in the middle. Make sure you are on the correct side of the markers. The channel has lots of turns, and some of the markers are close together, so it can be a little confusing. There are pretty much zero places where the bottom is not rock. There is also a no ale zone just before you reach the channel mouth. FWC likes to hang out there and write tickets.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
We had a great trip, stopped in Steinhatchee and loaded the cooler with black sea bass, grunts, and a few sheepshead. Once in Homosassa, we stayed in the idle only areas and just fished around docks. We were able to catch a few mangrove snapper, one decent sheepshead and I netted 3 really nice mullet. My first stab at smoked mullet came out awesome!

Attachments

• IMG_20190407_212252.jpg
    IMG_20190407_212252.jpg
    384.8 KB · Views: 23

brriner

C.Killmaster, glad y'all found some fish and had a good trip!

Pottydoc,
Going past the million dollar rock always makes me nervous as a cat. THAT part of the channel is so narrow it makes your boo boo draw up. I usually slow WAY down going through there. That no-wake before you hit the Gulf is where I usually make final prep while my wife steers at idle speed. Hoping to find a few trout and reds. I've never caught a snook so that's on the bucket list!

Leaving in the morning and will be there by 4:00 hopefully.

pottydoc

The wat r is actually deeper just to the south side of the red marker there. If you see a local going through there you’ll notice them going “out” of the channel. The trout have been south around where the markets to Masons Creek is the last few weeks. The pic is from two weeks ago.

Hmmm...can’t get the file to load. The pic is of some ugly guy with a bunch of upper slot trout.

pottydoc

We had a great trip, stopped in Steinhatchee and loaded the cooler with black sea bass, grunts, and a few sheepshead. Once in Homosassa, we stayed in the idle only areas and just fished around docks. We were able to catch a few mangrove snapper, one decent sheepshead and I netted 3 really nice mullet. My first stab at smoked mullet came out awesome!

You fish at Steinhatchee much? We have a camp there. My wife and I crushed the bsb’s and grunts last Saturday. The ‘Hatch is my favorite place to inshore fish.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
You fish at Steinhatchee much? We have a camp there. My wife and I crushed the bsb’s and grunts last Saturday. The ‘Hatch is my favorite place to inshore fish.

Just a few times, a friend of mine has a condo down there and we spent a day there before Homosassa.