Homsestead / property tax exemptions for disabled vet

oldenred

When I closed on my house two years ago the closing lawyer told me I would qualify for a reduction on property taxes due to my VA rating. I only have a 90% rating and everything I see states 100% for an exemption but she assured me I do qualify. If I don’t qualify how do I go about for a homestead exemption? Never dealt with this and it hasn’t been an easy thing to research. Thank you in advance.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
(1) Any veteran who is a citizen and a resident of this state who was discharged under honorable conditions and who has been adjudicated by the United States Department ofVeterans Affairs as having a service related disability that renders such veteran as being 100percent totally disabled or as being less than 100 percent totally disabled but is compensated atthe 100 percent level due to individual unemployability or is entitled to receive a statutory award
from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs.

For you at 90%, you would have to be paid at the 100% rate. You will need to have DD form 214 and any associated letter stating at what level you are paid.

joepuppy

Trust me, if you have 90% from the VA, you can file another claim and get 100%. My dad has helped countless vets in GA get is moved up and benefits started. I would start there.