Honda Deer Hoist System (project complete - new pics added with loading light installed)

Jim Boyd

You are a talented man Mr. Boyd

Thanks, Core.

More like a kid with ADD and too much time on my hands!

Think the project ran about $100 with the winch, steel and hardware.

Appreciate all the comments and suggestions. No one is as smart as all of us.

Jim Boyd

Jim, a guy on my Alabama lease had one of the powerlowders. It worked great.

P Doc,

I may shelve the ATV device. I mainly need a way to get deer loaded up in Illinois.

I take the UTV up there and at times, I use either device in SC. Plus, in SC, I can load them up in the tractor bucket.

I have it in my mind how to easily build the one for the ATV but if/when I build, I think I am going to go vertical only. I do not see the need to make it articulate. As long as I can pick the deer up 15”, that would be fine.

I also have two small trailers I pull with the ATV/UTV (for firewood and such), so I could use them.

I have plenty of stand projects to work on plus I am still working on a ladder stand erecting device.

Appreciate the heads up.

Mark K

Banned
P Doc,

I may shelve the ATV device. I mainly need a way to get deer loaded up in Illinois.

I take the UTV up there and at times, I use either device in SC. Plus, in SC, I can load them up in the tractor bucket.

I have it in my mind how to easily build the one for the ATV but if/when I build, I think I am going to go vertical only. I do not see the need to make it articulate. As long as I can pick the deer up 15”, that would be fine.

I also have two small trailers I pull with the ATV/UTV (for firewood and such), so I could use them.

I have plenty of stand projects to work on plus I am still working on a ladder stand erecting device.

Appreciate the heads up.

Setting a 2 man ladder stand by myself is a heck of an ordeal. Can’t wait to see what you come up with...so far no amount of cussing and sweat seems to make it any easier.

Jim Boyd

Setting a 2 man ladder stand by myself is a heck of an ordeal.

There is little debate the heavy two man stands and the newer tall stands (I have many between 20 and 25’) are a pain.

The problems are not only lifting them but also guiding them correctly onto the tree - and then holding them securely while the upper is properly attached to the tree.

I’m working on it, boss.

Longhorn 16

There is little debate the heavy two man stands and the newer tall stands (I have many between 20 and 25’) are a pain.

The problems are not only lifting them but also guiding them correctly onto the tree - and then holding them securely while the upper is properly attached to the tree.

I’m working on it, boss.

Does your device use a fulcrum?

Jim Boyd

Does your device use a fulcrum?

LongHorn,

No sir, no fulcrum. I did not think along those lines. Many of my stands (and some commercial ones) have a truss system - which negates the need for a support bar to the tree along the ladder section - and I think this might interfere with a fulcrum. Some of my modified stands, it def would.

Thanks

shdw633

Just a quick tidbit on loading deer. I put the front legs behind the ears and then put the strap around them and the neck. Once the deer is at least halfway up I just swing the rear legs and torso onto the bed of the golf cart and I'm done. I can lower it if I desire to take the strain off the winch and tie the deer off if I have a rough ride ahead of me.

Jim Boyd

You are younger than I am!

I have a sled but I am not dragging a deer any further than I have to, which is generally to a pickup truck, tractor with bucket or ATV / UTV for me.

I prefer to load them but I have drug them with the Honda if I could not get them loaded.

Thus, the desire for the loading arm. It ain’t the 150 pounders that worry me, it is the 200+ pound jokers.