Honey Locust

shaftslinger24

It has been over ten years, but I remember hunting in Taliaferro County and watching deer tear up honey locust pods. Are there places that sell them? If so, how long would it take for the deer to develop a taste for them? And realistically, how long before they really started producing?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Are you referring to the locusts with the long thorns on the trees?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I have been driving tractors all my life. I have had dozens of flat tires due to those thorns
IMO there are more negatives than positives having them around.

I agree that deer love the seed pods.

shaftslinger24

I have been driving tractors all my life. I have had dozens of flat tires due to those thorns
IMO there are more negatives than positives having them around.

I agree that deer love the seed pods.
Never thought about that, I never had a tractor around one

JackSprat

Honey locust it is. Had some volunteer, no idea where you could buy some.

I don't think it takes deer any time to develop a taste f0r them as there are almost certainly some around.

Deernut3

I bought one from home depot 20 years ago. That tree hasn't grown more than 2 feet in all that time and has never grown seed pods.

ShortMagFan

I’m covered up with honey locust trees on my property in the piedmont of South Carolina. The deer and turkey tear up the pods. The thorns are brutal on equipment if you aren’t careful. I put my hand on one accidentally this year while turkey hunting and it was like a bee sting. Even though the game likes the pods, I’d happily give up the trees due to the thorns.

glynr329

I planted a couple years ago before I found out about the thorns. When I found out I cut them down. I almost never got rid of those things.

southernman13

I’ve got em all over here and our Tn property. Never noticed the pods I know there a pia. Major problem trying to eradicate them. Same here I’d never plant them just asking for trouble

JackSprat

BTW if you can find a piece big enough, it's a beautiful turning wood. Some of it is almost translucent when turned.

Not my thing but probably a good call makers wood.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I remember taking on a bush hogging job of about 50 acres as a teen. Dad and I didn’t look over the property closely enough. Lots of locusts were in and around the fields.
I had 13 flats on that job. No profit for me or Dad on that job. I never went back to that location.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Honey locusts and chinaberry trees are surely a pia and are some of the first trees to take over an old farm. I’ve no use for either.
Jeff

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Some of the best deer hotspots in late season on my place in SC are around the honey locusts.