Hooves

Rabun

Do the front hooves look elongated to you? I believe this is the same deer I have pics of with a double main beam. Looks like he took a hit.

hooves1reduced.jpg
hooves2reduced.jpg

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
There's a few different things that can cause it, but generally it occurs when the hooves grow faster than they get worn down.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Could he be not walking normally due to the injury?

across the river

It can occur in horses and other hoofed animals and is called foundering(lamintis). It is typically caused by a diet extremely high in carbohydrates, and guess what food source contains a lot of carbohydrates? It can vary some deer to deer depending on how they process them. It can also be causes in rare cases by a nutritional deficiency, but that is more typical in livestock.

Last edited:

Rabun

It can occur in horses and other hoofed animals and is called foundering(lamintis). It is typically caused by a diet extremely high in carbohydrates, and guess what food source contains a lot of carbohydrates? It can vary some deer to deer depending on how they process them. It can also be causes in rare cases by a nutritional deficiency, but that is more typical in livestock.

I googled this and it makes sense. I just started putting out corn in feb in the neighborhood. As much corn that hits the woods, I'm surprised we don't have mega hooved deer running all over the place.

six

Looks like water skis.

Mark K

Banned
I googled this and it makes sense. I just started putting out corn in feb in the neighborhood. As much corn that hits the woods, I'm surprised we don't have mega hooved deer running all over the place.
If that was the case, every deer in SWGA would be suffering from this, lol. Just about every plantation and major hunting club has a feeding program that involves the “corn” word, lol.
How many deer do you have pictures of with this issue?

twtabb

Easy to trim those hooves. You just have hold on tight till she tires out then just trim them back a little. At least that’s how I do my goats.

Rabun

If that was the case, every deer in SWGA would be suffering from this, lol. Just about every plantation and major hunting club has a feeding program that involves the “corn” word, lol.
How many deer do you have pictures of with this issue?

Only this one