House with an elevator

Skipper

Banned
Well, Sunday night, I found the perfect after Christmas/New Years diet. :( I think it was called the 24 hr stomac flue. ::huh: I know one thing sure, all the plumbing was messed up, the liquids were coming out of the solid waste dispenser
fighting24.gif
and the solids out of the fuel intake and the 7 Up out the air intake :speechles I'm now back to my pre-Thanksgiving weight. :clap:

While I was hollerin for Ralph and trying to figure out which end to put on the toilet, I came across my "wife's hint pages" as I call it sitting on top of the Cabellas magazine. AKA: The local homes for sale guide. I thumbed through it while sitting on Ralph and came across what I thought to be a good deal on a piece of property. After I looked at it, I'm not so sure.

The guy that owned it was a rich old man. He'd been one of the original Flying Tigers (pre WWII pilots that volunteered to help China against Japan). He'd been shot down 3 times and made it back. When he finally got home, he got into the brick business and opened Corbin Brick which has been sold to General Shale in recent years. He'd built several houses around during his time and each time they were built like a brick you know what. This paticular house is a tripple brick walled house (no studs on the outside walls. 3 layers of brick) It was also built after he turned 80. From his war injuries and work life he was getting around pretty slow at that point so instead of stairs in the house, he put in an elevator.

That's the part I didn't like much. 2 story house with basement and no stairs in it. If I did buy this place, I believe I'd have to have stair cases built since I have a 1 year old and a 5 year old, neither of which needs to be operating this contraption of an elevator in this house.

That aside, I couldn't tell how the elevator operated physically other than it had 2 sets of 2 buttons on it that looked to be vintage of 1940 and in the service room there was a gas/air tank plummed into it for some reason? Oil maybe? I know it wasn't hydralic, it was bound to be cable hoist of some kind from the way it sounded and operated. Nothing was automatic on it, you just held the button till you got there and released it.

I wonder what it'd cost to fix an elevator if it broke? and who would you call to do it? Not many elevators in this part of the country except in some large commercial buildings like the hospital and 60,000 square foot Baptist Church. Of course those are inspected jobs and I'm sure require certified technicians. This elevator from the appearance of the electronics looks as if it was something adapted from a very old elevator taken from one of Corbin's old buildings, possibly and old service elevator from the brick plant and adapted to use in the house.

What do you all think?

Skipper