How can I get my 23 yr old son off his computer games and into the woods?

davisd9

I think for the majority, the desire to hunt, fish and live the outdoor lifestyle is something you are born with. I know folks from non hunting family's that are ate up with the outdoor bug. And I know some other folks where it's just reversed. It may be something that just doesn't appeal to him. I hope he goes and gets hooked, but at 23 and not showing much interest may be a sign it's just not for him. Good luck!

X3! My dad could care less about hunting or fishing but it has been in me as long as I can remember. I hope my boy catches the fire but I am not going to force it on him.

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
I don't have a clue. But 23 and still at home playing video games...
At 23 I had a whole different out look on life. I think taking him hunting or fishing may be the last thing he/you need to be concerned about. Good luck to you and your young MAN.

Along the lines of what I was thinking. I would like to add he needs a boot in his CensoredCensoredCensored to help him off the couch and out of Daddy's house.

Core Lokt

I don't want to say what I'm thinking because i don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. I will say video games are not good.

Slings and Arrows

I would find anything that he would do to spend quality time with him. What ever he would do (besides vidgame)...bowling, painting, poker, roller coaster, chess, golf, 4 wheelers, disco, knitting, anything to share time together.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I would find anything that he would do to spend quality time with him. What ever he would do (besides vidgame)...bowling, painting, poker, roller coaster, chess, golf, 4 wheelers, disco, knitting, anything to share time together.

Very good suggestion

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Realistically he is already grown and it appears video games and such is what he wants to do with his time.

Since you obviously tend to be an outdoors-man then I say go for it, and leave him be. He is still your son and y'all probably still love each other even if you don't have common interests.

I notice others have made the assumption that he still lives at home and you support him. Is that true?

Tom Talker

I feel your pain. My son hunted a lot with me when he was young and then started playing baseball year round. Year before last he says dad I need a new sport. I think I want to try deer hunting again. I go out and outfit him with all the nice hunting garb/clothing. The first time he goes with me he kills a 135 inch 8 pointer. It was too easy and he has not gone again. Between girlfriend, school, and Xbox, I do not think there is any hope.

thc_clubPres

mines always had an excuse, football or track during deer/turkey season. he's in his last year of HS so maybe if he stays close for college he'll take a few trips in next couple years.

I do remember when I was a young'n I'd be getting home at 4 am from night out and my dad and brother would talk me into taking the trip to the property. I'd just tie myself in the stand and sleep it off. but at least I was in the woods.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Maybe instead of spending time together doing something you enjoy, spend some time together doing something he enjoys.

I'm talking to myself here also. My son is 8, loves to hunt and shoot guns, but I tend to be one sided with time together.

gregg

mines always had an excuse, football or track during deer/turkey season. he's in his last year of HS so maybe if he stays close for college he'll take a few trips in next couple years.

I do remember when I was a young'n I'd be getting home at 4 am from night out and my dad and brother would talk me into taking the trip to the property. I'd just tie myself in the stand and sleep it off. but at least I was in the woods.

lol....brought back memories of my days in college, stay out late, sneak off for a quick nap and then out to the woods, my roommate's thought I was nuts. We skinned deer out on our apartment balcony, boy how times have changed. Deer, turkey, squirrel, dove....I fed my roomates:cool:

SowGreen

I feel for ya Astrick. It's hard when they don't show interest but man, sea trout has some great advice here. Sometimes you just have to mix it up to make it fun and interesting.

My oldest daughter, I have two daughters - no boys, has never showed interest in hunting or fishing. I still make her go but I make sure we do some fun stuff along the way. Whether it be driving four wheelers, roasting marshmallows by the fire, looking for crawdads in the creek, or her personal favorite skipping rocks, we're together and having fun.

I admire that are you still trying at 23. Just try to ingrain that outdoor lifestyle, no matter what it is, and maybe one day it will click and he'll show interest in hunting or fishing. Good luck buddy.

Can I come live at your house and say yes sir and clean my plate!!!!

Seriously, if he's 23 and into games....then get a pair of atvs!!! Have fun ridin with him on the lease. Turkey huntin can be loud and interactive with lots of walking. If he's a gamer...he might be into tactical stuff...take the tactical approach! Dress up in the camo and belts and gear that they use in his games!!!

Your on track for tryin to stay involved in his life!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome!!!!!
Mix your hobbies with his and see what u come up with! Keep it fun for him, be the leader and good luck!!!

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Holy cow...

Oak-flat Hunter

This will do it every-time .Go roost You a hot Gobbler. Insist that He goes when You find the Gobbler. Call the Gobbler in let Him shoot it and even if He misses I guarantee You He will have too give it another try.There is nothing like a hot gobbler coming too You.It will put Your heart in Your throat period....!!!

Klondike

As a father of two boys I truly hate video games. I see very little that isn't stunting their development.

We are on day 4 of another ban of them. Only thing good about them is you can take them away as a disciplinary tool.

Dishes have been put up the last 4 days though!

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
As a father of two boys I truly hate video games. I see very little that isn't stunting their development.

We are on day 4 of another ban of them. Only thing good about them is you can take them away as a disciplinary tool.

Dishes have been put up the last 4 days though!

I like it

TheTurkeySlayer

Not much you can do about it. It's either in his blood or it isn't.

I can see where you are coming from completley. However, there are so many programs that are out there to attract new hunts. Ask the NWTF if they ever said "Not much you can do about it" before they introduced more than 1,000,000 new hunters into our sport. Where there is a will, there is a way. And in this case, time spent between a father and son are on the line and there is a way bring him into the outdoors AND for him to like it.

That being said, take him on a morning you know for a fact the birds are going to sing like they are in choir. If you can get him on the right hunt and get a bird in close that is hollaring his head off, VERY good chance he could hooked on it. And get him pumped up about the hunt prior to, try and get him excited. I understand that it is a little more difficult trying to get a 23 y/o to get into the hunt compared to a 13 y/o, but you never know unless you try.
If all else fails, you can always try and find some other way to invest your time with him. Even if he can't enjoy hunting, at least enjoy something with him.

birddog52

Banned
Yeah buddy time for that kid to get a job start paying rent if he like computers so much he should get a job working on them or making game programs