How close do you park your ATV to your stand?

Bubba_1122

I think it much depends on how early you're going in.

If you're sliding in sideways with the throttle wide open at first light riding that ATV it's probably an issue. If you're getting there and in the stand an hour or more before daylight probably not (they'll think that whatever was making that noise is long gone).

I typically park my truck at the back end of the property. My favorite 2 stands are probably 400 yards away. One is down in the swamp and the other on the edge of the swamp on a ridge. Totally different topography from where I park on the edge of a field (FWIW, a mile is 1760 yards, so 400 yards is almost a quarter of a mile away). I try to be on my stand an hour before first light for the most part.

BTW, I do have an UTV. It's purpose isn't to get me TO the deer, it's to get the deer out of the woods given my age and some physical issues I've had - particularly with spinal surgery.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
driving an atv to your stand isn’t even an option on a wma right?

Wayne D Davis

driving an atv to your stand isn’t even an option on a wma right?
Not even.....If I feel the need I ride a bike to get way out. I usually only use the bike for scouting tho because most the gates are locked (like Sheffield wma) Id have to walk over 5 miles to my spot from the front gate

bubbafowler

I’m not slamming anyone but for those who say you walk “a mile” have you actually measured it?
I second this. On private land that's hard to swallow people walking that far. Average pace for a person is a 20 minute mile. I cut my normal pace in half so that's a 40 minute walk in every morning at least. Don't know anyone who does that if their are other options. I know public you have to but that's ridiculous. Spook more deer sneaking through the woods with a light than i do riding an ATV.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I'll turn my wheeler sideways on our logging roads,sit in a chair beside it with my rifle on the seat and watch deer cross the road. I see a lot of deer hunting this way

Wayne D Davis

I second this. On private land that's hard to swallow people walking that far. Average pace for a person is a 20 minute mile. I cut my normal pace in half so that's a 40 minute walk in every morning at least. Don't know anyone who does that if their are other options. I know public you have to but that's ridiculous. Spook more deer sneaking through the woods with a light than i do riding an ATV.
Wma's have wide open walking trails everywhere behind gates.... DNR can access the gates and drive in but no hunter access with motorized vehicle. I jump a few deer from time to time but usually off the plots along the closed road. Not where I hunt. If you know anything about public land you know the farther you get from the crowd the better off you are

uturn

I don’t care for them other than for work or retrieving...not for hunting.

The 1st thing I usually ask any quest is are you afraid to walk...cause I like to walk in down wind a long way from most of my sets!

Just me

bubbafowler

Wma's have wide open walking trails everywhere behind gates.... DNR can access the gates and drive in but no hunter access with motorized vehicle. I jump a few deer from time to time but usually off the plots along the closed road. Not where I hunt. If you know anything about public land you know the farther you get from the crowd the better off you are
Exactly why I said with the exception of public land.......

sowgabuckstalker

Yes, I keep my spreader on mine all YEAR long and full of corn. Whether is going to stand or just riding my baby girl around the property, best believe the cone is a slingin! The dee come a runnin! So the closest I can get to my stand w/ it, the better. Happy Hunting to all, not much longer now!

Last edited:

nrh0011

I don't use one often, but prefer to stay a good ways from my stand. That being said I know plenty of folks who kill more deer than I and drive up to the stand.

bubbafowler

I just rode my two girls, 7 and 4, to the neighbor's house through the woods to get fresh eggs. Coming back we rode within 10 yards, 30 ft, of a doe. We slowed so the girls could see but kept riding and she never spooked