How do you camouflage your cameras?

GAHUNTER60

I've lost several cameras over the years to thieves so I started trying to hide my cameras in a way to make them as inconspicuous as possible. This is easier said than done!

The problem I always have is placing the camera behind natural-looking Flora without interfering with either the camera lens, or the camera sensors. At times I've spent considerable energy constructing what seems like the perfect "hide," only to have to tear it down to access the card.

I'd love to see photos of your camera "hides," and how your opinions on how effective they are.

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
I sometimes place them 10-15 feet up off the ground.

I don't put them that high, but i like to put them above eye level and aimed down accordingly. The bonus is you can usually alleviate any sunrise/sunset washouts if pointed east/west.

3ringer

Place a steel trap under them. They can still get it but wish they hadn’t.

N

NantucketShedHunter

Put them at least 15' up in the tree. Make it harder for them to steal. Make them work for it.

Jack Ryan

I sometimes place them 10-15 feet up off the ground.

YES this.

If it's not my own land or even close to public land I use my tree stand top put them up and aim them down.

Tape over any lights or reflectors.

Paint and glue fabric as stated, mostly because near all factory finishes look shiny if the sun hits them the wrong way.

NEVER use those straps or belts. I use thing safety wire or a screw in mount and I'll peel back off other trees and wire it so it covers a lot of the camera or even add piece of limbs.

BowanaLee

I hide mine close to the ground in root systems, log piles and on banks. I mostly use the screw in hangar and almost never use the tree strap. Its to obvious unless its strapped on a tiny tree so the straps not easily seen. The best place is on a bank. I use my machete and cut out a plug the size of the camera. Then place it in and put the plug on top. I also break off a living limb tip and stick them in the ground along side for extra camo. The ones I get stolen are on salt licks or something similar that give the area away. It helps to use small cameras too. I'm running 12-15 cameras this year and loose 1-2 a year. facepalm: I search ebay for deals on small cameras to save on my losses.

N

NantucketShedHunter

Yeah, never put a camera on a salt lick or a feeder. It will get stolen in less than 2 seconds.

j_seph

I made this and works great and cheap. I also will use one or two screw in steps to get em up higher. Then take the steps out of tree after setting/checking camera
http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=719543&highlight=camera+mount
2012-10-27_16-19-22_513-1.jpg

Jim Boyd

I don’t bother.

I hunt private land in two states and have only lost one cam in my entire life and that was because I put the cams out before the people that were getting kicked off of the land got their stands and tractor off the farm.

The landowner tried to pay for the cam and I would not let him.

I do try to hide them from the deer, however!!!

I run 30-40 cams, by the way.

ribber

I had another one stolen recently and will be putting them high from now on.

We are on a private lease with houses in the general area, but the only trespasser pictures any of us ever got was of the old codger who's property borders ours. I think he steals the camera when he rides by on his 4-wheeler and knows he's busted.
He hunted this property 4-5 years before us when no one was leasing, so he's the typical old, local guy who thinks he 'owns' all the land around him. Plus, he despises the land owner.

I'm going to get creative and bust him, then print out 100's of pictures of him and distribute them in his yard.

ScottA

I hunt private land that we lease. I mount mine in a lock box screwed to the tree, I mount them on all my mineral holes and feeders. I usually have 5-7 cameras out all the time. I have never had one stolen.

Forest Grump

Spanish moss makes great camo. You can drape in over the camera & use it to hide the strap/python lock so it doesn't attract the eye. Doesn't get old & die & tends to stay put better in wind or rain than limbs or pine boughs.

I'll always look around when I'm going in with a camera & try to pick up some that has fallen or is hanging low in the trees. Then I make a note on the iPad when I get back to the truck where that one is; (since I got old). :bounce:

The small Python cable locks are not invincible, but they do make it less easy for someone to walk off with it.

I don’t bother.

I hunt private land in two states and have only lost one cam in my entire life and that was because I put the cams out before the people that were getting kicked off of the land got their stands and tractor off the farm.

The landowner tried to pay for the cam and I would not let him.

I do try to hide them from the deer, however!!!

I run 30-40 cams, by the way.

So how big of a place do you have to put out 30-40 cameras and what is your strategy for using a lot of cameras? I'm running 9, but want to get to 25-30. I've been using them in groups of 3 in areas I want to lock down the deer movement - it takes multiple cameras to cover the width or side of a ridge, creek flood plain, or to cover multiple entry points to the same field. A single camera only gives you one data point, but catch the same buck on multiple cameras in a given area and you can start to piece together his movement. More is always better. . .

krizia829

See if they sell fake poison ivy leaves and surround the camera in it, obviously not covering the lens. I'm sure someone would love to stick their hands in there!! Lol