How do you keep your feet warm while your hunting in a stand?

Darryl

When it gets down in the 20's, I can barely wiggle my toes, much less feel them. I'm sure there are expensive insulated boots that I could purchase. I've seen those cheap heating pads at Walmart that you place in your boots, but they've never worked for me.

Any other ideas on how to keep your feet warm in freezing temperatures?

Agman

I use hand warmers and put in my boots under my toes.
Works like a charm.

I have seen those battery powered socks, don't know if I would trust them.

Tom Borck

Banned
I use baby powder on my feet and wear silk socks under neath wool blend socks. Seems to work out just fine. The boots I have are only 400 gram. If it gets real cold under 32, I will wear the heavier boots 800 gram. Generally my feet never bother me, but then again it does not get too cold down here.

Jeff Raines

Give your toes plenty of room,I don't care how much insulation is in the boot,if the boot is too tight,your feet will be cold.

My regular size boot is 10 1/2,but my cold weather boots are size 12

ramblinrack

ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOUR COLD-WEATHER HUNTIN BOOTS ARE AT LEAST 1/2 A SIZE BIGGER THAN YOU NEED, THEN LACE THEM LOOSELY. THIS ALLOWS THE BLOOD IN YOUR FEET TO CIRCULATE MUCH BETTER. THERE IS ALSO A PRODUCT THAT I REALLY LIKE WHEN IT GETS REAL COLD. I DON'T KNOW THE NAME RIGHT OFF HAND, BUT I'LL TRY AND FIND OUT. ITS A LIL POUCH WITH AN ELASTIC STRAP THAT GOES OVER THE TOP PART OF YOUR BOOT WITH A SLEEVE WHERE YOU CAN INSERT A HANDWARMER PAC. WORKS GREAT DURING THOSE LATE JAN HUNTS OVER HERE WHEN IT CAN REALLY GET COLD! STAY AWAY FROM THE BATTERY PACKS. YOU'LL BE NICE AND WARM FOR A WHILE BUT....WHEN THE BATTERIES DIE (TRUST ME, THEY WILL) you will be hurtin!
;)

PHIL M

Gone But Not Forgotten
I wear the 1200 gram thinsilate rubber boots from b### p##. 1/2 size too big. Ive never got cold feet while wearing them. and their cheap!

Duramax

The little adhesive toe warmers seem to do the trick for me. You just pull off the adhesive protectant and stick to the bottom of your socks under your toes. Work great!!

Jeff Phillips

Get you a pair of cold weather pack boots. I bought a pair of Rocky Snow Stalkers that are irregulars (some of the stitching is crooked ::huh: ) from Sportsman's Outlet several years ago. They are not much for walking, but I have hunted down to 6 degrees and not been cold at all.

I paid $65 for em ;)

Rebel 3

Get you a desent pair of insulated boots. 400 grams thinsulate or more. Get your boats one size to big. Wear a pair of regular socks under a pair of thick wool socks. Then put a hand warmer under your toes. The extra size boat leaves room for the thick socks and hand warmer. I have hunted all morning with the temp as low as 6 degress doing this with 400 gram boots and my toes stayed alright. Anytime it gets to freezing or close I put the hand warmers in my boots. The ones called hot hands at walmart work good.

UGA hunter

I've heard of using a plastic bag such as a bread bag over your feet before you put your socks on. I've never tried it but I heard it works great! Then main thing is to keep your feet from sweating. That is the biggest misconception when people are trying to their feet warm. They get extremely insulated boots or put on 3-4 layers of socks. The main reason for your feet getting cold is the fact that they sweat very easily. I like to wait until I go outside before I put my socks and boots on. That way I am not inside in the warmth with all of that insulation on my feet. The baby powder suggestion would probably work great too b/c it will soak up the moisture. Good luck!

braintree

Buy a good pair of socks that get the moisture away from your feet. The reason your feet get so cold is because they sweat. Water and cold temps do not mix.

QuakerBoy

As stated earlier several times, lace your boots loosely. If I'm going to be sitting a long time I will even untie them. If you decrease the circulation to your feet they will get cold fast. I wear 1000n gr thinsulate Rocky boots. I've hunted in temps in the single digits multiple times with them. A good pair of wool socks and the boots is all I put on my feet. If my feet start to feel cold, I will losen the laces a little and try and wiggle my toes to increase the circulation more but that is about it.

How often does it get in the 20's in Florida? ;)

Donkeytoe

About two years ago I purchased a set of boot covers called arctic shields (i think) which slip over your bood and velcro up. They are like a giant slipper over your boot. You don;t walk around in them just put them on when you get to the stand. These are the greatest invention to me in hunting. I also suffered greatly from the clod feet syndrome. So bad you want to climb out of the tree and walk around to get the blood flowing. Trust me they work great. I don't even wear insulated boots any longer when I hunt. Just silk stockings and a pair of socks over the top of them and i'm good to go.

QuackAddict

I agree, Artic Shield is the way to go. One morning last year it was 25 degrees and I hunted in my snake boots and wore the artic shield covers over them. My feet did not get cold and my feet usually freeze everytime.

the HEED!

Banned
Cold feet?

I use shoes and socks, jk
:) I wear a neoprene booty on my feet then a wool sock and my boots have 800 grams thinsulate. This usually does the trick except extreme N Georgia hunts I've been on Cohutta/Warwoman in December and then I just add a second pair of wool socks

BROWNING7WSM

GONetwork Member
After your get on stand place a hand warmmer on top of your boots, then use a pair of old socks and pull them over the toes of your boots to hold the hand warmer on your boots.. Works like a champ...

deermeat270

Banned
So Far...

1. Hand Warmers Under Toes.
2. Baby Powder On Feet.
3. 1 Size to big of boot.
4. Loosen your boots when on the stand.
5. Turn On the Heater in your 5000 dollar deer stand.
6. Buy a real good pair of Hunting boots, 1500 thinsulate.
7. Wear Socks that wick the sweat away from your smelly feet.
8. Put a bread bag on your feet.
9. Boot Covers, i.e. Artic Sheilds.
10. Neoprene Booties.