How far would you go

How far do you drive to your deer hunting club or lease?

• Total voters

Stroker

I have a family 1 hour max. It really limits my ability to get on a good deer lease or land. Not judging but sometimes I wonder how folks stay gone all weekend. I could and would do that if I was single.

My wife and three daughters all know to not make any plans that include me during the months of Oct and Nov, rest of the time I'm a home body. My wife's girl friends call her a deer season widow. I do however make exceptions for funerals. I'm a lot more flexible during turkey season.

baddave

my closest is 100 yd walk . my furthest is 88 mi. i'm ok w/ a little drive and i'm ok w/ being able to work at home after i hunt.. good thread though

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
15-30 minutes to 2 WMAS, 6.5 hr drive to buddies lease in bama....I agree that a long drive and camping is worth it and makes it that much more special!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
1-2 hrs would be ideal distance......or walking out back

Stroker

45 miles to my camper, 40-55 minutes going down depending on the weather, the deer, and my right foot, a lot slower coming home. I been driving the same 2 lane state highways for 27 years, go through one small town speed trap, probably could drive it in my sleep. Being retired I hunt a lot during the week so I'll drive down and back same day, what I and the guys call a drive by. During the rut I'll camp for 5-7 days, come home for a day or two to resupply and get a good hot shower then go back for another 5-7 days. 30 seconds out my back door, went twice last year.Deer camp.jpg

Last edited:

ditchdoc24

One year I got into a club that was about 90 minutes from home. The problem was that every time I tried to go down for a weekend hunt, something came up at home that kept me from being able to go. Luckily I got permission to hunt a piece of land that belonged to my wife's family and was only 5-10 minutes from home. Since then, I've had a personal rule that I only hunt in the county I live in. My current lease is less than 10 minutes from the house and I've got a lot more time to hunt. Plus my wife is happier since I'm at home more. I was lucky enough to get a nice buck this past season.IMG_0911.JPG

chrisn1818

I think this answer depends on what “stage” of life you are in. With 4 boys aging from 15-5 it is difficult to be far from home with sports/school/and life. When my kids are raised I can see myself hunting a lot further from home. No wrong answer just preference on what stage of life one is in. I would not hunt much now if my lease was mare than an hour away. I camp even though my lease is close to home but it is still nice to get in the quick last minute hunts on occasion and have that flexibility ?

BuckNasty83

I live on mine. It's nice to walk out from the house onto the back 40, but it also kind of takes away from the going out into the wilderness feeling if that makes sense

Timberman

Hour and a half to 5 hours depending. Was a time or two it was out the back door

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The reason I am asking, is I have the oppertunity to join a pretty good club, that I already have 2 friends in, it has a good deer population, and the price is not high. The only down side is it is 1 hour and 15 minutes from the house. I will have my first child born June 25ish, so I am assuming my time will be limited. I also do not own a camper (neither do my buddies), and I sure as heck am not roughing sleeping in a tent. I was just seeing what kinda of times everyone else travels.
I've spent hundreds, if not thousands, of nights in a tent and it never hurt me none. I've over 50 now, and still tent camp many times a year. I love it. I wouldn't have a big camper if you gave it to me-too much trouble to pull around and set up.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It’s deer...30 minutes max, lol.
Had you posted turkeys I would pick days!!
I can sit on my porch and shoot a durn turkey.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
My place is 90 miles so depending on I-85 Traffic 1.5-2 hours. I hope to retire there in the not too distant future. Then it will be a 10 minute walk to the stand.

swamp hunter

Deer Camp is where Memories are made...not walking out your back porch to your Stand and mowing the grass after lunch.

Gbr5pb

I have family land about 30 minutes and a lease about 2.5 hours away since my walk out the back door hunting got clearcut. Have noticed when too close to home people come up with other plans for me.