how high can a snake strike??

dtala

this one bit me 2" below the top of my Lacrosse Grange rubber boots, five foot Timber Rattler. Lacrosse boot did NOT stop the fangs, I took one in the calf.
THEsnake.jpg

troy

sgtstinky

Kudzu cobras can strike 4/3rds of their body length, best to not even go into the woods when they are around.

Snake boots are a must but dont get a false sense of security from em. The rules of thumb are more like guidelines and not hard and fast rules. chaps are good and common sense and bein careful always helps but sometimes it just might happen no matter what ya do. Be prepared. as we all know venom can kill.

switchbackxt1

bought a new pair of Rockys this week they say 90% of snake bites are between the ankle and the knee, I watch out around logs and creek banks(dry) when walking in these areas

dslc6487

Boots and chaps

I squirrel hunt a lot in uneven territory. So, need to be careful of snakes that may be lying up 2 or 3 feet on a bank, etc.. and get you up kind of high when you walk by. I feel more secure with boots and turtle skin chaps, but ALWAYS be on the look out for those bad boys. You can plan as best you can, but the unexpected can catch us all.
Be careful my fellow hunters this hunting season........

dawglover73

I have a scar on my leg that is visible when I have some degree of tan, because it does not tan the same. It's from a copperhead bite. Smaller snake, probably 20-24 inches. I just measured the scar, and it's 11.75 inches off the ground. So, even if he was on the top end, he got half his body length up. He was sunning and I stepped on or near (really not sure) him, so he popped me. My neighbor saw it and said my body motion looked like Donnie Osmond and Barry Manilow got into a slap fight. Not my proudest moment, but I'd love to have it on video.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
I have a scar on my leg that is visible when I have some degree of tan, because it does not tan the same. It's from a copperhead bite. Smaller snake, probably 20-24 inches. I just measured the scar, and it's 11.75 inches off the ground. So, even if he was on the top end, he got half his body length up. He was sunning and I stepped on or near (really not sure) him, so he popped me. My neighbor saw it and said my body motion looked like Donnie Osmond and Barry Manilow got into a slap fight. Not my proudest moment, but I'd love to have it on video.

Glad you're okay, but man that's funny !!:rofl::rofl:

gsubo

My dad and I got turned around on stewart 6 or 7 years ago coming out of an area. GPS died on us and we were left walking around in circles for about 45 minutes trying to get back to the truck. I went around a blown over water oak tree that had fell over a firebreak..he decided to walk through it. His light caught the glare of timber rattler laying on a branch 4 feet away about waste high just as he was about to walk through the limbs of this ol' tree. That was a scary thought knowing how turned around we were.

dawglover73

Hooked on Quack... it's hilarious now, to think about it. At the time I was scared senseless. And, your avatar is about the best looking GT logo I've seen!

swamp hunter

DANG, You Folks sure have been Beat Up by Snakes.
I been Hunting the Glades close to 30 Years . Ya,ll are Worse off than Me. Seen a Million Snakes... And never been Bit cept by the ones I picked up.
Must be the Water up North.

bull0ne

Banned
Timber rattlers are more prone to strike a little higher IMO. { that coming from experience and others who have been hit }

One area to watch for is climbing up out of creek bottoms where there's a strip of wiregrass along the side hill that is sunlit in the fall. Climbing upwards, the snake is higher in elevation and can very well get above snakeboots.

Snakes will get up on beds of wiregrass to avoid the cold ground. I flat out stomped a diamondback one morning that was lying in the sun ataop a wiregrass bed. It was maybe 50 degrees, but rest assured..........he was ready for business! :D