How long do you wait to re-bait hog traps?

sleepr71

Just as the title says, I’m wondering how long some of you guys wait after catching and killing hogs in a trap.. Before baiting it back up & putting it to use!? I took out 13 in a figure 6 trap today but missed a few small ones (they were too small to push into the spring door on the enclosure). It sounded like there was at least one adult hog that ran off with the little ones through the woods, it was so thick I couldn’t see them, they were just loafing around while the others were stuck in the trap. ?

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
A good rain helps. I have rebated right away and got some the next nite. Mine I can move around too.

sleepr71

Thanks! This is a stationary “figure 6” trap...so it is locked down. Going to try a few box-style traps & different bait, on other parts of the property..maybe I can snag the others out of that Sounder?

sleepr71

Todd E@ will they enter a trap that soon after ? I’m kinda thinking that the smell & disturbance MAY attract them

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
Todd E@ will they enter a trap that soon after ? I’m kinda thinking that the smell & disturbance MAY attract them
I dont think the smell bothers them either way. Some fellas stacked a bunch up like cord wood at one field I frequent. Its smelled like death for a year now and kill the most pigs out of that field still. I think it has actually masked my scent a few times as I approached with the wind at my back. If you could keep from gagging...

Todd E

I once shot 12 in my trap. Blood bath city once the floppage stopped. Removed them. Rebaited. Caught more the next night. I never worry about blood.