How many inches can a man add

spencer12

I believe stress due to heat has to make an impact on overall size also. Either directly related to heat or increased parasites for a longer period of time due to favorable parasitic conditions.
No doubt it does, Bergmann’s Rule.

Last edited:

Wallhanger

O.k., so if he killed that one, then this huge parcel of intensely manage land, in a county with good genetics for the state, has produced 2 Boone and Crockett deer in 30 years. Like I said, I don't care how much land you have or how you manage it, you chances of growing a Booner are slim to know. They are even slimmer in SC. I'm not saying that either state cannot produce a B & C deer, because obviously they both have. I just think this notion that limiting the number of hunting days will produce more B&C deer, or the notion that all of these B&C deer are being killed that no one ever knows about is ludicrous. Which, based on comments I see in the trail camera forum, the are a bunch of people on there who think 130 -140" deer is a booner, so I guess I can see where the confusion come from. Don't get me wrong, I've never killed anything close to being a Booner. I just don't think people truly understand how rare a B&C deer is, even in the highest producing states in the country.
You seem to be insinuating that those who disagree with your perspective are a bunch of ill informed fools. I have seen deer taken in south central GA that were easily Booners that never had their pic taken. Local fellows get a little tired of seeing their lease prices exploding annually. I stand by the belief that if southern states had game laws similar to our midwest neighbors we would see a significant increase in 'Booner bucks'. Do I advocate for changes to make this a reality; not at all. I enjoy being able to spend the winter in the woods taking what deer are 'special' to me. The OP was asking opinions on taking steps to increase the antler size on his deer and I believe he's received enough opinions to make a rational choice.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Soooo..... in a nutshell. It is what it is.
If you feel good about feeding it to them. Make sure they have plenty.
?

BIGABOW

No drama IMO some are just REAL passionate about our deer. I'd like to see bigger deer just like everyone else, but it would be years from now before we saw the results that some are looking for if we made the changes necessary today. Not everybody wants to put horns on the wall, some folks just want to eat good! Me, I like big horns and I can not lie, but I also know not to knock a man for being happy with just some juicy back straps.......

Mexican Squealer

My place is in Hampton county SC. Plantations bordering my place have produced 3 bucks over 160” this season, one being an 8pt. Same as anywhere, deer need age.

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
And how many B&C deer have they killed on all of those properties combined over the years? I know the guy killed a monster on the Callway property 20 years ago, but I don't think the one Fox Worthy killed even netted high enough, though it was close. I don't think they have ever killed a B&C deer on REALTREE farms. People on here act like if you just pass a deer up then all the deer in Georgia and South Caroline will turn into B&C deer, and that is hogwash. Genetics play a huge roll, and even in the prime midwest states, your chances of killing one are very, very, very slim. QUOTE]

Hard to really say how many since there are some killed that don't get talked about. I've scored one that went over 170. Seen several killed. Seen a few found dead. Seen sheds from a few that died or shed.

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
Hard to give a specific number. Seen several killed. Seen sheds from some that were found dead. Seen some run over. Scored one that went over 170. Not to mention the ones killed that landowners will not discuss.

across the river

My place is in Hampton county SC. Plantations bordering my place have produced 3 bucks over 160” this season, one being an 8pt. Same as anywhere, deer need age.

No one on here is saying you can't grow big deer with age. This thread isn't about big deer, it is about growing a B&C deer. I'm sure those deer grossed 160". I have a good friend with a great place in Georgia, who has killed two deer this year, with one being a legitimate 150"plus inch deer net. Has had a tape measure to in by someone who is certified to do it 150", not a GON forum 150"er. The deer was huge, mature, had a phenomenal rack, etc......, and he was still a long way from being a B&C deer, even when the rack was green. I'm sure the deer you are referring to are in the same boat. my buddy has as good a shot at producing a B&C as probably anybody in Georgia in the future, but his chances are still very, very, very slim. No one is saying you can't maximum a deer potential by letting them walk, but this notion that there would be all of these B&C deer running around Georgia if you just passed them up, or that there are all these book deer killed each year that no one knows about is hogwash. I'm sure these same people have a son in little league that they actually think will make the major league as well.

Mexican Squealer

I can assure you that there are “book” deer killed in both GA and SC that the public never knows about. Most folks on the plantations around us have no desire to show off their deer in the magazines or on forums.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
NC,

We are in south central SC (with good ag and plots) and most deer that we let get to 4 years old exceeds 200 lbs.

They generally plateau about 205-210.

We did kill one 2-3 years ago that was an honest 265+... weighed on our electronic scales and on scales at processor.

He was an outlier, for sure - and was not so much fat as he was simply big.

It can be done here, not sure about NC.

Thanks

View attachment 955424
In west-central SC where I hunt, that doesn't happen. Most old, mature bucks are shy of 200. Agriculture there consists of pine trees.

MikeyD6

Deleted
I was just looking at a GON magazine where they listed the antler measurements of the largest bow-killed bucks by county. The Atlanta metro counties had significantly bigger bucks than the other counties. Its not a perfect comparison, but it certainly gives weight to the idea that our rifle season is too long and too many bucks are culled before they get a chance to reach maturity.

10th Legion

And how many B&C deer have they killed on all of those properties combined over the years? I know the guy killed a monster on the Callway property 20 years ago, but I don't think the one Fox Worthy killed even netted high enough, though it was close. I don't think they have ever killed a B&C deer on REALTREE farms. People on here act like if you just pass a deer up then all the deer in Georgia and South Caroline will turn into B&C deer, and that is hogwash. Genetics play a huge roll, and even in the prime midwest states, your chances of killing one are very, very, very slim.

https://www.realtree.com/deer-hunti...w-rare-are-boone-and-crockett-whitetail-bucks

Let me offer a little insight. I hunt the area and know a lot of the history around that part of harris county. I truly believe it is unique and would be really hard to replicate anywhere else, however, not impossible.

For starters, genetics were already there long before the callaways started selling their land. The Callaway property (originally over 50,000 acres) was pretty intensely managed for 60-70 years by the family. Not to say it was specifically managed for deer, but the major focus was recreation and conservation of the natural landscape. During that time, the property was only hunted by family members and close friends/business relationships. In the 1960's somewhere around 20 deer from Wisconsin were relocated on the property through the state's restocking program. Due to the limited hunting pressure and ideal habitat/resources, I believe those genes were able to thrive and spread for many generations.

To fast forward to today, The callaways have sold several parcels in the last 15-20 years. The new owners (foxworthy, realtree, etc) all manage exclusively for recreation - primarily deer hunting. The remaining acreage that the Callaways own are very expensive leases or hunted by a few family members/friends. The result is you have around a 30,000 acre contiguous block of land (not divided by public roads) with like-minded hunters. All plant a significant acreage of food plots, control burn pine plantations, and supplement feed year round. The couple of leased tracts strictly limit the number of members. Additionally, a lot of the hunters are primarily bow only. Most significantly, all limit buck harvest to only 5+ year old deer (regardless of score). Thats not to say mistakes aren't made every year, but for the most part no one worries about passing on a 140" four year old. The end result is a very large tract with good genetics, little hunting pressure (compared to rest of state), higher % of archery only hunters, abundant food sources and supplemental feeding, aggressive doe harvest, and, most importantly, bucks that reach maturity.

As far as the number of true B&C bucks killed, I think only 1-2 are officially entered from harris county. But like others in this thread, I believe the majority aren't ever submitted. Personally, I can think of a couple in the last few years that would definitely make it, and 3 more that are pretty dang close. Those aren't ever going to show up in any record book. That doesn't count the ones that are never seen from a stand, or became road kill. I believe that every year on the entire 30,000 acre tract there are 2-3 bucks that will be pretty dang close to B&C and another 7-10 that will gross over 160". In my opinion, that's almost as good as you can expect in the midwest. It just takes significant investment and really exceptional neighbors in order to work.

Reactions: srb

Ace1313

I was just looking at a GON magazine where they listed the antler measurements of the largest bow-killed bucks by county. The Atlanta metro counties had significantly bigger bucks than the other counties. Its not a perfect comparison, but it certainly gives weight to the idea that our rifle season is too long and too many bucks are culled before they get a chance to reach maturity.
Of course the bow killed bucks are going to be bigger on average. It has been bow only for years! Lol. Tell Morgan County or Worth Co to go bow only for 20 years. They would have larger bow kills than most.

Ace1313

I enjoyed reading about the Harris County history 10th! Great information.

I live in Southwest Georgia because it is the closest you can get to the Midwest in our state in terms of quality deer. Body weights and antler size both. B&C deer are like professional athletes in the human population. They are special and unique. Not every deer in the Midwest is going to be a giant. There are a bunch of B&C deer that have been killed and no one knows about them in my neck of the woods. I know a person with 5 gross Boone’s in their house right now. They are special deer and most down here don’t talk about them very much as they don’t want people crowding in on them.

blackbear

Does anybody know what the biggest buck scored from the north Georgia mountains?
Or how many B&C bucks recorded from the NGA. mountains?