How many of you use an achor trolley system?

ryanh487

I just installed one (see the pelican catch 100 thread). I used yak gear rivets to attach most of it, and coated them in silicone before insertion. I just installed it yesterday so I haven't gotten to test it out on the water yet, but the geometry/physics of it seem to be a very good idea, especially since I want to fish the hooch this summer.

longbowdave1

I would like to as well, but I am new at this, and I don't like the idea of drilling into my kayak.
You would have fainted seeing my kayak updates. Remember you not making holes, your making improvements. Lol

longbowdave1

I just installed one (see the pelican catch 100 thread). I used yak gear rivets to attach most of it, and coated them in silicone before insertion. I just installed it yesterday so I haven't gotten to test it out on the water yet, but the geometry/physics of it seem to be a very good idea, especially since I want to fish the hooch this summer.
Ill check it out. I have enough parts and pieces left over to build one. I think I'll build it when i get back to camp thursday night. Might need a drift sock too.

Teh Wicked

I used one on my first Kayak, realized I didn't really use it as intended. So on my new Kayak I run an Anchor Wizard with a Downrigger 4lb weight, I use it as a drag chain basically in the river. Let out enough slack and it will stop you. It work good as an anchor as well on lakes and pnds.

ryanh487

I used one on my first Kayak, realized I didn't really use it as intended. So on my new Kayak I run an Anchor Wizard with a Downrigger 4lb weight, I use it as a drag chain basically in the river. Let out enough slack and it will stop you. It work good as an anchor as well on lakes and pnds.

How do you like the anchor wizard?

Depending on how things go with my first few outings with the anchor trolly, I might get one of those for when I want to use the actual anchor or a drag chain and use the trolly with the anchor stake I have for shallow water when I just want to stay put in one particular place without adjustment.

RamblinWreck

I have one and use it all the time.

frankwright

I don't have this any more but I used one all the time. I could sit off a point or blowdown and by rotating around the stake out pole, I could fish all angles and not get blown away.
I used the special sealed kayak rivets and never had any problems. kayak staked out 6-4-2010 4-04-54 PM.JPG

longbowdave1

I don't have this any more but I used one all the time. I could sit off a point or blowdown and by rotating around the stake out pole, I could fish all angles and not get blown away.
I used the special sealed kayak rivets and never had any problems. View attachment 971385
Nice set up. Good to hear from you again!

Geffellz18

At first I did not understand the reasoning for them, but built one anyways. I highly recommend them. Probably one of the more important additions to your yak imo.
A must for proper positioning.

weagle

I was going to install one,but before I got around to it I was just clipping my anchor line at different points along my hull as necessary and it worked fine, so I never got around to it.

jocko755

I've never needed an anchor. It's easy to keep your position in a kayak.

I think they are dangerous in current, drag chains too. If they get snagged in heavy current it can be a disaster.

Hooked fish can get tangled in the anchor line. Real pain.

longbowdave1

I think they are dangerous in current, drag chains too. If they get snagged in heavy current it can be a disaster.

Ill just be fishing small inland lakes. Wind will be more a factor than current

chriswkbrd

If wind is easy to keep your position, then I wanna fish where you fish or I want your kayak.
I agree, they can be dangerous, but I couldn't fish most days w/o it. I also have a small crab trap float attached to my line holder, that way when I catch a large fish (shark), I can unhook my line and toss it in the water, then play the fish. It's rare that I've had to do that though.

In the picture, you can barely see the carabiner that I use to attach my anchor line, it's not connected because I released my line and threw it over to fight the shark. 20170818_104036.jpg

longbowdave1

I pre-built much of my trolley system last night at home. When I get up to camp thursday night, i will install on the kayak. Watched a Chad Hoover KBF video on trolley installs. Doing it much like he did with sewn loops, covered with heat shrink tubing. Also putiing a styrofoam float on my anchor line with a carabeener so i can do a quick detach from anchor, and the anchor line will float, so i can return to the same spot and grab the anchor line with ease.

JC33

I paddled and fished from a small canoe (Kay-noe) for a long time and had set-up an anchor system using cam cleats front & back...ran the line through an eye on bow & stern, then could pulled through the cam cleats to adjust. I normally used 4lb dumbbells, but on occasion, used my 8lb mushroom anchors. Honestly, it worked out really well in most conditions and allowed for the best positioning.

Now I have an anchor trolley on my Predator MX...the Yakattack branded one. It works "as advertised" I guess, but so far, I'm not really finding it very enjoyable to use. It is easy to drop and raise anchor (I have a clothesline spool to retract the line, which is cool...you can see lots of videos online about this), but it seems like it is really hard to nail down the right boat position. Current and/or wind tends to rotate the boat in unexpected directions, no matter where I move the trolley. If any of you anchor trolley experts out there have recommendations for how you use yours, I'd love to hear about them!

Btw, I think I'll probably get a long ski pole, or some sort of anchoring stake to use with the trolley in shallow water, like in the post above.