How many others are worried about snakes?

outdoorman

I've enjoyed being in the woods for decades now. But over the past few years, I see myself becoming more and more concerned about snakes.
Especially now that I'm getting into hunting, I can't enjoy scouting the woods because I'm always watching the ground in front of me.
Since I've moved into southern Georgia, I've only seen snakes a few times and most of them were copperheads in my backyard or on the road near my house.
When I'm in the dense woods hunting or scouting, I have never seen a snake but I'm thinking of the big rattler's that exist out there. When I walk through ground cover I carry a stick always watching while tapping the ground to alert any snakes of my presence.
Unfortunately, it takes away from enjoying out there.
Are you as careful when in the woods?
Also, I do have a pair of waterproof snake boots RedHead brand of BassPro I bought a few yrs ago that weren't very expensive. I always have them on.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I am like you ever cautious. Especially now that I have property in Putnam County which seems to be one of the hot spots for rattle snakes.

Due to mobility problems I am on the golf cart or ATV much of the time during warmer months. I usually drive it right up to spots I am sawing, using machete, etc. I do this in hopes of running of snakes.

I wear the snake leggings

blt152

Always cautious when out and wear snake boots religiously when outdoors. We just had the first rattler killed on our lease so now will be even more aware. We've always had copperheads on our lease but I personally have not encountered any. Best defense is be aware of where you place your hands and feet and when you sit.

Capt Quirk

To be honest, snakes don't normally worry me. Of course, that's probably because I once had a Herpetologist room mate. Aside from a standard selection of rat snakes, boas, and pythons, he also had about a dozen eastern diamondbacks, a gaboon viper, some juvenile cobras, and a full grown monocle cobra. The last one was fairly sweet, but that gaboon made me real nervous.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
To be honest, snakes don't normally worry me. Of course, that's probably because I once had a Herpetologist room mate. Aside from a standard selection of rat snakes, boas, and pythons, he also had about a dozen eastern diamondbacks, a gaboon viper, some juvenile cobras, and a full grown monocle cobra. The last one was fairly sweet, but that gaboon made me real nervous.

That room mate must’ve been a great............oh never mind;)

Dirtroad Johnson

They're plentiful around here, I'm cautious where I put my hands & feet. They can be difficult to detect when camouflaged in there surroundings & will lay still a lot of times. I wear snake boots when I'm in the woods or in a dove field, I've encountered several rattlesnakes in both areas.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Snakes are at the bottom of my list of worries. I run up on rattlers and copperheads occasionally, but they're just part of the woods. They aren't out to get you. You have to make a snake bite you, especially a rattler. In 50 years of stomping around the woods and hundreds of encounters with venomous snakes, I have never been in fear of a snake, or had a problem with one. I don't wear snake boots, either. I'd rather walk through a snake-infested woods any day over walking down a city street at night.

Snakes aren't waiting to bite you. They are much more afraid of you than you are of them. I have never really understood people's unfounded and overblown phobia of them. I am much more concerned about yellowjackets, falling trees and limbs, lightning, dogs, or any number of things than I am about snakes. They pretty much never cross my mind, and I think the woods would be a much less interesting place without them. Most people who are bitten by snakes are either handling them or trying to kill them. If you're over a couple feet from a snake, you are in absolutely no danger from it.

AllTerrainAngler

I carry snake tongs and a collapsible snake hook in my bag 90% of the time. I rarely see snakes and even more rare are they venomous. I do have one rainbow snake in a local creek I see almost every day/night i go fish

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I don`t worry about em and enjoy seeing them. I`m wrapped up in em. Around here where I live, and the various places I hunt and fish in Southwest Georgia there`s plenty of em, all 7 different types of the venomous ones. I just let em be and go on my way.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
I don`t worry about em and enjoy seeing them. I`m wrapped up in em. Around here where I live, and the various places I hunt and fish in Southwest Georgia there`s plenty of em, all 7 different types of the venomous ones. I just let em be and go on my way.

Not too much fun to walk up on at 3am . .

Capt Quirk

My co-worker killed 2 cotton mouths in our work area, I killed a canebreak the same night in our area. The cotton mouths were highly aggressive.
Out of all the native venomous snakes, what you call the Canebreak is at the bottom of the list. You really have to rile them up to get anything

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Out of all the native venomous snakes, what you call the Canebreak is at the bottom of the list. You really have to rile them up to get anything

You're right, but I don't want to work with 'em either . .

Blackston

I hog hunted as a young man and usually wore boat shoes or thin rubber boots never gave it a thought . As my hair gets more n more salt n pepper I find myself being more cautious God looks out for fools drunks n youngns I think as we grow up we become a little wiser and more respectful of things that can hurt us

Duff

I’m not a snake lover or anything. I don’t mess with em when I see them, but I also don’t worry about them. If I see one, it will make me pay more attention for a day or two but that’s about it.

As someone said, I worry more about yellow jackets and hornets. I’m bad allergic to them suckers and there are way more of them than snakes.

Dirtroad Johnson

If I see one around my place, no one else has to be concerned about him. I want walk around the same snake twice if he's venomous - - I'll get him the 1st time if'n possible.