How many shots per pound of Goex?

leoparddog

Last weekend I filled up my powder horn and went shooting. I noticed when filling it up, it took almost a full pound from a new can of 2F Goex to fill it.
I shot until the powder horn was empty and I was priming with 4F from a brass priming dispenser. I probably put 40 shots from my .54 downrange with loads that were either 90gr mostly and some that were 100gr. Once again, I wasn't really counting shots just enjoying shooting the steel at 100 yards, taking pot shots at 200 yrds and shooting at paper at 50yrds. I was practicing for deer season soon and I think I'm going to be shooting 90gr by volume.

I go home and thought "How many shots do I get per pound of Goex?" There are 7000 grains per pound by weight, but we load by volume not weight. If it was a a one to one, then I should get 70 shots per pound if 100gr of volume = 100 gr of weight.

I think tonight I'm going to weigh 100gr by volume of Goex and see what that comes out to.

Basically, one good range day and I burned almost a pound of powder. =>>>>> That means I'm going to need more powder soon at this rate.

what say ye? Have y'all counted it out?

frankwright

100 grains in a powder measure weighs 99.0 on a digital grain scale. Most powder measures are not exact.

leoparddog

Got home and went downstairs to check. Depending on how well I settled the powder in the measure, 100gr varied from 93gr to 97gr on my RCBS digital scale. Maybe if I tapped it some more I could get a few extra grains in there and get it up to 99.

Yes, volume measures aren't going to be exact. Just shows that whatever volume measure you do use, fill it the same way every time for some "measure" of consistency.

So for estimation's sake 70 or so shots per pound of Goex when running 100gr by volume loads

Darkhorse

I have never even thought about counting the shots in a pound of powder. Here's what I know....When I was shooting 2fg at 70 to 110 grains a pound of powder didn't last very long.
Now all I shoot is 3fg...30 to 60 grains in the .40 and 60 to 80 grains in the .54 and a pound of powder lasts a lot longer. Mainly because I mostly shoot 30 grains in the .40 cal.
I buy mine by the 25 pound case per each granulation and just don't worry how many shots I get.