How much do you pay for leaders?

gunnurse

I found a Wal Mart that actually had tapered leaders. They are getting $3.96 for a three pack of 7.5’ 5x. That seems like a decent price. If they clearance them out at season’s end, I’m going to buy out the entire lot.

lampern

For the casual fly fisher the Cortland 333 model nylon mono
leaders at Wal Mart are a good deal.

Most hard core fly fisherpersons tie their own tapered leaders and spurn store bought tapered nylon mono leaders

Using fluorocarbon line makes them more expensive.

Furled leaders are also more expensive than mono leaders.

So it depends on what kind of leaders you use.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Most hard core fly fisherpersons tie their own tapered leaders and spurn store bought tapered nylon mono leaders

Maybe 20 years ago they did, but tapered leader technology has improved to the point that great leaders are affordable and tying your own isn't as advantageous as it once was.

I'll spend $15 or $20 on a furled Zen leader and it's good for a few years.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I finally took off my three-year-old furled leader and chopped it up into little pieces awhile back, and enjoyed every cut. Tangling, rod-tip-wrapping son of a gun, I grew to hate it.

I'll usually tie on one of those tapered leaders and the butt will stay attached to my line for years. I just keep adding more leader and tippet as it wears back and breaks.

Caddisfly01

I've never had any issues with the 'cheap' leaders (usually in 3 packs) from Walmart, Academy Sports etc. I will just add to it, tippet, as needed. Also, when tossing large poppers and deer hair flies for bass I normally just made a straight leader, using 6/8 lb. test trilene mono. A tapered leader is not as necessary when throwing big meaty flies - and using spare line from the spool you put on your baitcaster saves $$..

Spend more time checking the leaders for frays, rough spots, damage, etc instead of who's name is on the package. I fish Rio or Orvis leaders personally, but they all are susceptible to abrasions. Flourocarbon vs mono? Both have there place., and I fish both.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
$2.50