How often do you clean your deer rifle?

lonewolf247

Wipe down lightly after each hunt with a Rem oil rag. Will do a more thorough cleaning, if I've been in wet conditions. At the end of the season , I will do a complete cleaning of the action. Other than that, my current practice is to only clean the bore, every couple years, or if I have accuracy issues. I use a few different rifles for deer hunting, and don't shoot them excessively in the off season.

If I do a scope change and a complete sight in, I will clean the bore after several rounds, then go back on another day or two shoot a couple more rounds and recheck my zero.

Darkhorse

The outside surface of all my guns, including the flintlocks and the stainless bolt actions, get 2 coats of wax preseason. When I come in at days end a good wipe down is all that's necessary to protect the metal. If I hunt in the rain I dry the gun and apply another coat of wax. No oil has been on the outside of my guns for over 10 years now.
My .300 win mag needs 5 shots on a clean barrel to bring the group in to poa. It does not need cleaning again until seasons end.
Not all of my rifles need a fouled bore to shoot well but just the same they will get 3 shots on a clean barrel to begin the season. They will get cleaned at seasons end.
My flintlocks are different. They always start with a clean barrel. I've done enough load testing to know what they require to shoot cold bore poa. After a shot is taken they get a complete cleaning everytime.

rugerfan

I wipe my rifles down at the end of every hunt, will clean barrels at the end of the season. Inline muzzleloader gets clean inside and out after every hunt, I do not leave it loaded more than 2 days.