How often do you replace your fly line?

Sargent

Just wondering...

I have had the same WF floating line (4wt) on my reel for the last 2 seasons. I got it out to practice last week and the fly line coiled like mono. It didn't do that last year.

I cleaned it at the end of last year.

Do you think dressing would help?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Dean

Kinda depends

on how often you have fished with it - but the general rule of thumb for floating line is when after cleaning and recoating, it still tends to sink, then its time. Look closely at the line for cracks, nicks etc., in some cases you can cut a small portion off the line and reattach the butt section/leader. You may also have a tapered floating line that is the same on each end, if this is the case you may want to simply uncoil and swap the current end (attach to backing/reel) and use the 'fresh end' that has been attached to the backing as the 'fishing end'. Really the bottomline replace when damaged or it simply doesn't float.

Just a hint, I have fished with floating line that needed to be replaced because a foot or two sank by applying the standard dry fly floatant to that section of the line...it works in a pinch.

Sargent

No cracks, no sinkage (I fished it last in Oct.). It is clean.

It is just coiling. It has developed memory. I haven't had this problem before.

It is weight-forward, so I can't put it on backwards.

Streamer

Give the line a good strech, that should take most of the coil out, If that does not help, you may have a twist in the line. To fix a twisted line, cut your fly off the leader, pull all the line off the reel and let the current take your line down stream, leave the line dragging in the down stream current for a few min. and it should take the twist out. If your in a boat let the line out behind the boat and troll slowly for a few mins.

Dean

Streamer got it

if left on a small reel (large arbor reels tend to cause less coil memory) for an extended time the line will have coil memory. Take 3 or 4 foot sections of the lne at a time and give it a pull...

Sargent

I read somewhere to hook it on something and unwind about 75' of line and then give it a stretch...I tried stretching it at about10'. I hope this helps.

Thanks for your advice!

chef

try soaking it in hot water for a couple of hours it helped with my saltwater lne one time and it worked,

BearGoneFishing

Find two smooth trees bout 5 to 6 feet apart two towels and a nice friend to help. Just tigthly rap around the trees and leave for a hour. Promise this works