How tall should my clover be?

Mackie889

I planted a mix of cover crop seed (rye grain and buck forage oats) at 50#/ acre, and perennial clovers (medium red, patriot, and Durana) at 15#/ acre. We’ve had consistent rainfall for the last 5 weeks or so. Right now the cover crop is about 6-8” and the clover seems to be sprouting well, it is just short ... about an inch tall. Is this normal?

FootLongDawg

Patriot and Durana are slow growers when first planted. You wont see it at its best till the spring. If we keep getting this rain over the winter it should be really looking good during the spring green up

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Definitely normal. It will probably be Spring before it's good and thick. Clover is a slow starter.

Ihunt

Wait until the spring. Toss out some 0-20-20 around the end of Feb. Also, about that time, spray grass killer to kill the cover crop. By April 1st, you’ll be well pleased.

Some suggest fertilizing in the fall. Nothing wrong with that but I prefer split applications with half in the spring and half in the fall.

Do not use any fertilizer that has any nitrogen in it. There will be a grass explosion.