How to Fillet Spotted Bass Quickly

TroyBoy30

No fillets for me please. Scale them, gut them and cut the head off. Most importantly, don’t cut my tail off!

LittleDrummerBoy

No fillets for me please. Scale them, gut them and cut the head off. Most importantly, don’t cut my tail off!

I do them that way some times - usually when they will be eaten the same day. Filleting allows a wider range of recipes and is easier on the freezer space.

lonewolf247

That's the exact method I use to fillet several fish, including bass, and also speckled trout. Only differences I see, is I use two different fillet knives. I use a serrated blade fillet knife to make the first cut, through the ribs, and along the backbone, then I use a smooth blade filet knife to make the second cut, removing the skin and scales.

One thing I picked up from your video, is that I don't think I sharpen my knifes nearly enough, lol! I usually sharpen once before cleaning all my fish, but never during the process, as I go.

Thanks for the video!

LittleDrummerBoy

Can you recommend a specific make and model of serrated knife for the cut through the ribs? I tend to avoid serrated knives, because I can't sharpen them.

lonewolf247

^Well, I'll have to check my knife closely when I get back home to see if it has the brand on it. It's honestly pretty old, and has held it's sharpness surprisingly! I even use it to filet along the backbone of redfish and drum. However I use a different heavy duty knife to cut through the ribs.

My smooth blade filet knife is a Dexter-Russell, I do know that. I'll check on the other one and see if it's branded, and report back if it is.

Thanks again for the videos you post!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'll agree with some fish, but with bass, get rid of those bones and that nasty, muddy skin. I'm just glad to see somebody killing some durn spots. There are 10 billion more out there that need knocked in the head and filleted.

615groundpounder

I would recommend rinsing your knife after sharpening. I use the same sharpener and just a Rapala filet knife. But I have seen small metal flakes come loose and stick to the knife blade after sharpening.

LittleDrummerBoy

I'll agree with some fish, but with bass, get rid of those bones and that nasty, muddy skin. I'm just glad to see somebody killing some durn spots. There are 10 billion more out there that need knocked in the head and filleted.

There are definitely lots of places where bass skin has a muddy taste. But the skin from the ones we've eaten from Lanier is not bad.