How to Get Power from God over Sin

Thread starter #1
According to the Bible, God has all power, and there is no power that is not ordained of God (1 Chron. 29:11, 12; 2 Chron. 20:6; Ps. 62:11; Zech. 4:6; Rom. 13:1-3). If all power is of God and if Satan's power was given him by God, then it is clear who has all power. It is equally clear if one wants power one should go to God for it and not seek it from demons. Jesus said, "if any man serve me, him will my father honour" (John 12:26). Every child of God at the new birth receives power to become a son of God, and this opens up to him all the possibilities of power from God over all the works of the devil (John 1:12, 13). Children of God are commanded to "be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might" and to "put on THE WHOLE ARMOUR OF GOD, that ye may be able to STAND AGAINST THE WILES OF THE DEVIL" (Eph. 6:10-18).

Paul speaks of believers having the "treasure [of God's power] in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us"(2 Cor. 4:7). He also states that "the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but MIGHTY THROUGH GOD to the pulling down of strong holds; casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ" (2 Cor. 10:4-6). Think of it! Power through God to destroy the works of the devil and to bring down every thought and imagination to the obedience of Christ! How can men have this power and continue in sin and defeat? How can one go about teaching that we have to sin every day in thought, word, or deed and that the flesh has to sin daily? Such men have not come in contact with the reality of the Christian experience and the power that each child of God can have. They make poor leaders, even of the blind, and as Jesus said "if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch" (Matt. 15:14).

No man who is in the least interested in truth and in his eternal welfare should listen to or support any man who teaches that one cannot get a Christian experience which will save him from his sins and keep him from living in sin. Peter said "who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. . . . As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance: But as he which hath called you is holy, SO BE YE HOLY IN ALL MANNER OF CONVERSATION [manner of life]; because it is written, BE YE HOLY; for I am holy. . . . Seeing ye have purified your souls. . . . Being born again. . . . having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. . . . give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, YE SHALL NEVER FALL" (1 Pet. 1:5, 14-16, 22-23; 2 Pet. 1:3-10). Every one born again lives free from sin business (1 John 2:29; 3:5-10; 5:1-4, 18; 2 Cor. 5:17; Eph. 4:24; Gal. 5:24).

This holy living is done by the power of God and not of ourselves. It is possible because we are made free from the law of sin and death and because we walk not after the flesh but after the spirit (Rom. 8:1-13). Shall we lower our concept of the Almighty to say that He cannot save from sin or keep free from sin those whom He redeems? If God can do this and He chooses not to do it, then sending Christ to die that this may be done is a failure, and also making full provision in the gospel that this may be a normal life for every child of God is a farce.

It is just as definite as can be that sinners "shall not inherit the kingdom of God"; so if Christians are sinners and all other men are sinners, then not one person will be saved (1 Cor. 6:9-11; Gal. 5:16-24; Rom. 1:29-32; 8:1-13).

Last edited:
It is just as definite as can be that sinners "shall not inherit the kingdom of God"; so if Christians are sinners and all other men are sinners, then not one person will be saved (1 Cor. 6:9-11; Gal. 5:16-24; Rom. 1:29-32; 8:1-13).
1 Corinthians 6:11
And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

One of the verses listed in the OP

Thread starter #4
There is a natural power of godliness that comes with the new birth, and those who have only a form of godliness deny the power of it (2 Tim. 3:5). God's power gives each one "all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue" (2 Pet. 1:3-10). The power from God to live clean and holy is ours for the asking. We can use this power of godliness to demonstrate to other sinners that there is a reality to the gospel and that all men can be saved and kept from all sin (1 John 1:7, 9; 2 Cor. 5:17; Titus 2:11-15). It takes power from God to live victorious over sin, the flesh, the world, and the devil, but God Our Saviour has all power to sanctify and make us "meet for the Master's use, prepared unto every good work(2 Tim. 2:18-26).
Not only can we have power to live a life pleasing to God, but we can have power from God. The way to get this power is to make a full surrender to God , renouncing all sin and bad habits, believing on the Lord Jesus Christ to save from all sin and impart sufficient power to overcome. WHEN ONE BELIEVES FROM THE HEART, he is cleansed from sin (Rom. 10:9, 10). WHEN ONE RECEIVES JESUS, not mentally or formally, but in reality, this cleansing takes place (John 1:12). WHEN ONE BELIEVES THAT JESUS IS THE CHRIST, not only mentally, but from the innermost soul, which belief includes turning to God from sin and Satan, this cleansing also take place (Acts 26:18; 1 John 5:1-4).
You may say that I have done this and I still have my sins and habits.. There has been no change. It may be that you have not made a sufficient change that is necessary in order for God to work and complete the change in your life. The first thing to do is to get the fact settled that there must be a change, and there will be when one gets into Christ as by the following Scriptures: If any man be in Christ, he IS A NEW CREATURE: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. and all things are of God, who hath reconciled us unto himself by Jesus Christ" (2 Cor. 5:17); "they that are Christ's HAVE CRUCIFIED THE FLESH WITH THE AFFECTIONS AND LUST" (Gal. 5:24); "the blood of Jesus Christ CLEANSETH US FROM ALL SIN" (1 John 1:7); He has "washed us FROM OUR SINS in his own blood" (Rev. 1:5).

Victory by the faith of Christ

Your premise seems to focus on our performance, our obedience and therefore can well take our eyes off of the One who was perfectly obedient.

We must give ourselves reminders daily of what God has done for us: removed our sin as far as the east is from the west, and

what God did TO us (this part is missing in a lot of church teaching) , that we also took place in the crucifixion of our old man, our old sinful soul and spirit, and He, by one offering alone "made us alive together with Christ".

If your gospel doesn't include your one time death, I'd say that's cause for one to believe he must fake it, and then comes the spiritual schizophrenia. A house (your heart) divided against itself cannot stand.

But the new is just so incredibly better.

It should humble the tarr out of us that we have no skin in the new covenant, but only are recipients of the new nature God promised Himself in it.

That's right, God promised Himself.

The strength of this new way is in how well and how long the Father with the Son will be bound to it, as by two unchangeable things we have this incredible hope of the new being home to our hearts.

Concerning the new covenant, God could not swear by no one greater, so He swore by Himself. God with God making the deal. Sounds pretty secure. And not to get off the Op about behavior, etc., but this is huge if we are going to walk in victory at all.

It seems we'll have all life here and all eternity to wait and see if they will renege on the deal (sarcasm, sorry), but that indeed is the strength and Spirit of the new way. The old letter killed us, as it must ... and God Himself brought us through our own one time death of the old Adamic nature and raised us to life.

Make no mistake about it. If we get those sin struggles kicking us about (by grace we are saved), then it's likely during those times we have "forgotten our purification from our sins".

Eyes on the finished prize my friends. We kill the sin stuff by faith and not the hampster wheel of flesh induced behavioral perfection.

By one offering He has perfected forever them that are sanctified - set apart for His good works,
which by the way, He planned in advance ---
so go discover them ;) !)

-Walter

Israel

Your premise seems to focus on our performance, our obedience and therefore can well take our eyes off of the One who was perfectly obedient.

We must give ourselves reminders daily of what God has done for us: removed our sin as far as the east is from the west, and

what God did TO us (this part is missing in a lot of church teaching) , that we also took place in the crucifixion of our old man, our old sinful soul and spirit, and He, by one offering alone "made us alive together with Christ".

If your gospel doesn't include your one time death, I'd say that's cause for one to believe he must fake it, and then comes the spiritual schizophrenia. A house (your heart) divided against itself cannot stand.

But the new is just so incredibly better.

It should humble the tarr out of us that we have no skin in the new covenant, but only are recipients of the new nature God promised Himself in it.

That's right, God promised Himself.

The strength of this new way is in how well and how long the Father with the Son will be bound to it, as by two unchangeable things we have this incredible hope of the new being home to our hearts.

Concerning the new covenant, God could not swear by no one greater, so He swore by Himself. God with God making the deal. Sounds pretty secure. And not to get off the Op about behavior, etc., but this is huge if we are going to walk in victory at all.

It seems we'll have all life here and all eternity to wait and see if they will renege on the deal (sarcasm, sorry), but that indeed is the strength and Spirit of the new way. The old letter killed us, as it must ... and God Himself brought us through our own one time death of the old Adamic nature and raised us to life.

Make no mistake about it. If we get those sin struggles kicking us about (by grace we are saved), then it's likely during those times we have "forgotten our purification from our sins".

Eyes on the finished prize my friends. We kill the sin stuff by faith and not the hampster wheel of flesh induced behavioral perfection.

By one offering He has perfected forever them that are sanctified - set apart for His good works,
which by the way, He planned in advance ---
so go discover them ;) !)

-Walter

Amen.

Thread starter #7
The Fullness of Grace and Power Promised Modern Believers

There are different measures of the Spirit and the power of God which Old Testament saints experienced. Christ was the first to receive the Spirit "without measure" (John 3:34). John said "of his fulness have we all received, and grace for grace," proving that there are measures of grace (John 1:16, 17). The Weymouth translation, reads, "grace upon grace" and the Moffatt translation, "grace after grace" thus plainly showing that all of grace is not necessarily received at once. This is due to the lack of knowledge and faith. According to our knowledge we have faith, and according to our faith we receive grace or God's favor in every stage of our growth. There is no limitation to the grace of God or what we can receive from God through grace. The benefits of grace do not all come to all alike or all at once, as is taught by many modern teachers. If all men received the same fullness of grace alike, then all would have the same benefits from God alike. The fact that some receive more benefits than others proves that they come by faith and according to the faith of each person. Faith governs the benefits of grace and faith in turn is based upon knowledge.
We are promised today "the fullness of God" and the same power to do the same works Jesus did (John 14:12-15; John 7:37-39; Acts 1:8; Eph. 3:16-20). Since there are varying degrees of power and faith in different believers it proves there are also varying degrees of grace received from God.

gordon 2

There are different measures of the Spirit and the power of God which Old Testament saints experienced. Christ was the first to receive the Spirit "without measure" (John 3:34). John said "of his fulness have we all received, and grace for grace," proving that there are measures of grace (John 1:16, 17). The Weymouth translation, reads, "grace upon grace" and the Moffatt translation, "grace after grace" thus plainly showing that all of grace is not necessarily received at once. This is due to the lack of knowledge and faith. According to our knowledge we have faith, and according to our faith we receive grace or God's favor in every stage of our growth. There is no limitation to the grace of God or what we can receive from God through grace. The benefits of grace do not all come to all alike or all at once, as is taught by many modern teachers. If all men received the same fullness of grace alike, then all would have the same benefits from God alike. The fact that some receive more benefits than others proves that they come by faith and according to the faith of each person. Faith governs the benefits of grace and faith in turn is based upon knowledge.
We are promised today "the fullness of God" and the same power to do the same works Jesus did (John 14:12-15; John 7:37-39; Acts 1:8; Eph. 3:16-20). Since there are varying degrees of power and faith in different believers it proves there are also varying degrees of grace received from God.
There are varying degrees of faith in believers... but to say that there are degrees of grace from God...seems to ring untrue... to me. It seems to me that God's grace was/is the same to all believers: God's innocent Son died on the cross for man's sin and was raised from the dead so that all who believe would be made righteous through faith. I understand this to be God's grace and the effect of His grace.

The Holy Spirit and the Holy Spirit through the prophets (within the church, ministers of the church) speak to the various gifts of believers and the various powers that follow. So that the powers and the gifts follow from the church, or the body of Christ, and not directly due God's grace, but rather indirectly through the church.

Last edited:
Thread starter #9
Degrees of grace

There are varying degrees of faith in believers... but to say that there are degrees of grace from God...seems to ring untrue... to me. It seems to me that God's grace was/is the same to all believers: God's innocent Son died on the cross for man's sin and was raised from the dead so that all who believe would be made righteous through faith. I understand this to be God's grace and the effect of His grace.

The Holy Spirit and the Holy Spirit through the prophets (within the church, ministers of the church) speak to the various gifts of believers and the various powers that follow. So that the powers and the gifts follow from the church, or the body of Christ, and not directly due God's grace, but rather indirectly through the church.
THE GRACE OF GOD IN ALL AGES

That there was grace manifested by God in all ages cannot be disputed. God has been gracious, loving, and merciful in every age to all men. ever act of mercy from God has come through His grace. Every favor of God to man is through grace. The statement of John "grace and truth came by Jesus Christ" (John 1:16, 17), could not possibly mean that there was no measure of grace before Jesus came any more than the statement in the same verse, "the law was given by Moses," means that there was no law of any kind before Moses. There were many laws before Moses. There was grace before Jesus Christ came to the Earth, but it was the "fullness" of grace that came through Him at His coming (John 1:14-17). There have been different graces or favors of God to men at different times. The teaching that grace never brought men spiritual blessings before Christ is based upon unbelief and cherished preconceived ideas which are held solely to fortify certain false doctrines.

Israel

Agree with God.

Manifest the faith given, delivered to all saints that what you believe cannot have power over you indeed has none.
Rather than bear the shame of sin...(and deigning it power to hide) expose it to the light, in plain manifestation it has no power...in the light.
Agree with God...nothing is unseen....even the thing that squeals like a pig to the hiding.

Confess your faults to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed.

Who will pray for the degenerate...even this degenerate? Who will pray for this adulterer? This liar? This bearer of false witness?
This envier, so smitten with jealousy and idolatry of his own self...it is so often a torment to acknowledge...others exist... have real being...outside himself?

Who will pray for this man that makes such a flagrant show of a knowing, and therefore thinks he knows himself... ...but doesn't...at all?

Agree with God.

Manifest the faith given, delivered to all saints that what you believe cannot have power over you indeed has none.
Rather than bear the shame of sin...(and deigning it power to hide) expose it to the light, in plain manifestation it has no power...in the light.
Agree with God...nothing is unseen....even the thing that squeals like a pig to the hiding.

Confess your faults to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed.

Who will pray for the degenerate...even this degenerate? Who will pray for this adulterer? This liar? This bearer of false witness?
This envier, so smitten with jealousy and idolatry of his own self...it is so often a torment to acknowledge...others exist... have real being...outside himself?

Who will pray for this man that makes such a flagrant show of a knowing, and therefore thinks he knows himself... ...but doesn't...at all?
But you do know ... and we do too, that your New'd self, the one where there was this transformation on the deepest level, new heart, new human spirit ... is rejoicing and dancing with the One who made all grace (did I say a little? NO!) abound to you. (IICor 5:17; Gal 2:20)

Yes, I'll pray, as I close for a moment, that you (and me also) see, with no pride or reserve, how boundless is His love toward us. It's, well, downright redemptive and transformational! :)

Israel

Ha! Ha! Yes.... Yes! And I know...even in proof this very morning, ahhh do you excuse my effusiveness...I know you have no idea....yes...no idea at all...( though once you had them, as I did too!) what these mere words, black to a white in reading (how could you have just...or only, "idea?") This is how you find me this morning, this is how you "see" me this morning, this is how you "know me" this morning (no mere idea) the words are so slooooow, this image presented...only a little faster, but the reality?!!!!!

Yes, is there a small bit of sorrow that everything "else" at seeming hand is so frail...so very very weak to the relating of what IS? I am persuaded you know this, too. The sufferings of Christ. How do "I know"...you know? How has...no rather...how is God making this known....not a mere idea...but known...even in me? Even...in me? (But even sorrow...even sorrow! Is turned to JOY!)
You release me from need to put numbers (O! how weak!) numbers of chapters and verse, other sentences (to support...to buttress to make "more plain")...because I know...I am speaking to a living epistle. What release from need!
And in this...may you also find any need of blushing in my exuberant joy of knowing of you.

How do "I know"? Because you have kept and do keep "at hand"...the One...yes that One and plainly show you have not kept Him...at arm's length. And your lifting of Holy Hands...for me...even for me has shown in my "knower", as it must be as constant reminder "HE LIVES!"

And as He lives...we live also!

But your prayers have made this far plainer...than black on white to a page...ever could.

That One in your knower...you are making KNOWN!
And blessed be the God and Father of our Lord, Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us AGAIN!

Yes...a very very lively lively...hope!

You receive a salute...no mere man can render, you receive from where only One has always been and ever abides, because you have kept that weakest one as strength to your heart.

Last edited:
It is a wonder, and wonderful thing to know no man after the flesh! I enjoy my new eyesight, I'm sure you do to brother. It's ok to rejoice in the new ... after all we now know Christ no longer after His earthly connection, yes? Amen, it's an internal, New Covenant thing - this One living within you and I.
And this New Deal, He didn't ask us, didn't do the old quid-pro-quo, No! He was delighted in making this agreement with Himself, and sending the Love Benefit (Himself) right within our worn out hearts without reserve. (A huge wow smiley goes here, too big to fit on a single screen)

Nevertheless, you got me with ... He Lives, and we also !!

Yes! I am well content with weakness - that the power of that Indestructible Life might rest within.

;)

Israel

It is a wonder, and wonderful thing to know no man after the flesh! I enjoy my new eyesight, I'm sure you do to brother. It's ok to rejoice in the new ... after all we now know Christ no longer after His earthly connection, yes? Amen, it's an internal, New Covenant thing - this One living within you and I.
And this New Deal, He didn't ask us, didn't do the old quid-pro-quo, No! He was delighted in making this agreement with Himself, and sending the Love Benefit (Himself) right within our worn out hearts without reserve. (A huge wow smiley goes here, too big to fit on a single screen)

Nevertheless, you got me with ... He Lives, and we also !!

Yes! I am well content with weakness - that the power of that Indestructible Life might rest within.

;)
Amen!

Thread starter #15
How To Get Power From God Over Sin

There is a natural power of godliness that comes with the new birth, and those who have only a form of godliness deny the power of it (2tim. 3:5). God's power gives each one "all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue" (2 Pet. 1:3-10). The power from God to live clean and holy is ours for the asking. We can use this power of godliness to demonstrate to other sinners that there is a reality to the gospel and that all men can be saved and kept from all sin (1 John 1:7, 9; 2 Cor. 5:17; Titus 2:11-15). It takes power from God to live victorious over sin, the flesh, the world, and the devil, but God Our Saviour has all power to sanctity and make us "meet for the Master's use, prepared unto every good work" (2 Tim. 2:18-26).

"Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God" (Matt. 22:29).