How to make umbrella rig

teebert

I was wondering if anyone has attempted to make one of these as opposed to buying it? I just can't figure out if you make a mold that will somehow accommodate the wires or if the wires are added after the center lead part is made. I can't picture how a mold would fit around the wires if you melt the lead and wires together, but if you tiny drill holes and push the wires through after you make the lead thingy, what keeps them in place? Thanks for the input.

Tom

Scout'nStripers

I tried to figure out the same thing you are talking about. You would need to drill some holes in the lead after you pour it and insert the wires and then re-melt the lead where the wires go into the lead. Not really worth the time. I just modified some Do-it molds to hold the wires in place. Here's a video that shows the ones I used to make. I painted mine but you don't need to do that.

teebert

That's some very good information. I was hoping someone knowledgable like you would respond. Many thanks, Jim.

Tom

Scout'nStripers

That's some very good information. I was hoping someone knowledgable like you would respond. Many thanks, Jim.

Tom
Good luck with it Tom. If you have a Dremel tool, a cutting wheel and a little patience you can cut those little channels in the mold to accommodate the wires. I still have my molds and I can take a picture of the way I modified it if you decide you want to do it. The Do-it mold is called "Style H" and it come in sizes all the way up to 4 ounces.

j_seph

Well....................................................I have a jig at my parents house somewhere to build U-Rig with. One of my best friends brother who has now passed came up with it. You basically have a pieces of 3 inch channel. Then you use spring steel, I wanna think they even used mig welding wire. Then you got this special T-Handle as well. On the channel there are pins welded to it, these pins stick into the T-tool that has a hole and a lip on it. The hole keeps tool centered and the lip bends the wire as you twist it. In the mid section of wire you would bend a U-Shape sort of like ______n______ Then both wires would have that, then we would take an aluminum arrow and cut a piece off about an inch long, so any size aluminum tubing would work depending on weight you wanted. Place tube over leaving a bit of the bend sticking out the top and pour lead into it.
He went so much and often he got tired of buying when he'd lose em.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Well....................................................I have a jig at my parents house somewhere to build U-Rig with. One of my best friends brother who has now passed came up with it. You basically have a pieces of 3 inch channel. Then you use spring steel, I wanna think they even used mig welding wire. Then you got this special T-Handle as well. On the channel there are pins welded to it, these pins stick into the T-tool that has a hole and a lip on it. The hole keeps tool centered and the lip bends the wire as you twist it. In the mid section of wire you would bend a U-Shape sort of like ______n______ Then both wires would have that, then we would take an aluminum arrow and cut a piece off about an inch long, so any size aluminum tubing would work depending on weight you wanted. Place tube over leaving a bit of the bend sticking out the top and pour lead into it.
He went so much and often he got tired of buying when he'd lose em.
Sounds REALLY close to the one me and my friends came up with in the late 80's for salt water fish'n. A pain in the... but worth it once you get it right. One could make 10 or 12 for what 1 cost at the pier.

teebert

I've been experimenting all weekend and the best idea I've come up with is to drill a hole down the middle of a 1/2 oz egg sinker, drill two holes in the side for the wires and pour epoxy down the middle. The wires can still rotate a little after the epoxy dries so I'm still experimenting on that aspect but the overall rig costs maybe $1 so I'll eventually get there. I also put a swivel in the top and bottom of the egg sinker.