How to obtain a suppressor in GA?

krizia829

Hey everyone! I sold firearms for 7 years at my local Bass Pro. However, you all know Bass Pro does not carry/sell suppressors. My husband and I have plans of moving to GA from FL hopefully within the next year. What is the process to apply/obtain a suppressor in GA? Price? Would love to put one on my 300 Blackout AR Pistol

Last edited:

Gator89

Another explanation

https://goneoutdoors.com/silencer-handgun-8164102.html

1. Find a dealer with a valid Class 3 license. All gun stores must have a Federal Firearm License, which classifies what types of guns the store is allowed to sell. Call dealers in your area and ask if they are licensed to sell Class 3 weapons. Some Websites, such as nfadealers.com, contain lists of registered Class 3 dealers.
  2. Fill out the required paperwork for a background check at the dealer's office. The forms will require you to provide photo identification, a current address, criminal history information, your Social Security number and your birth date. This information will allow the dealer to set up federal paperwork to eventually transfer the silencer.

3. After the dealer provides you with a fingerprint card as part of the application packet, take the card to your local sheriff or police station and have them complete it with you. Only a qualified police technician can fill out a fingerprint card.
4.Obtain signatures on the background paperwork from the local chief law-enforcement officer, such as the sheriff or police chief in your county. Every agency is different, so call ahead and ask whether there is a specific time or process required to obtain signature for a Class 3 weapon.

5.Return the fingerprint card and signatures to the dealer, along with the required federal tax stamp fee. The fee can vary, so ask your dealer how much you should expect to pay. The tax stamp fee pays the federal government to process your paperwork and transfer the silencer.

6.Return to the dealer after the federal government completes your background check, and pick up your suppressor. Expect to wait up to four months for the background check to be completed in most cases.

krizia829

Another explanation

https://goneoutdoors.com/silencer-handgun-8164102.html

1. Find a dealer with a valid Class 3 license. All gun stores must have a Federal Firearm License, which classifies what types of guns the store is allowed to sell. Call dealers in your area and ask if they are licensed to sell Class 3 weapons. Some Websites, such as nfadealers.com, contain lists of registered Class 3 dealers.
  2. Fill out the required paperwork for a background check at the dealer's office. The forms will require you to provide photo identification, a current address, criminal history information, your Social Security number and your birth date. This information will allow the dealer to set up federal paperwork to eventually transfer the silencer.

3. After the dealer provides you with a fingerprint card as part of the application packet, take the card to your local sheriff or police station and have them complete it with you. Only a qualified police technician can fill out a fingerprint card.
4.Obtain signatures on the background paperwork from the local chief law-enforcement officer, such as the sheriff or police chief in your county. Every agency is different, so call ahead and ask whether there is a specific time or process required to obtain signature for a Class 3 weapon.

5.Return the fingerprint card and signatures to the dealer, along with the required federal tax stamp fee. The fee can vary, so ask your dealer how much you should expect to pay. The tax stamp fee pays the federal government to process your paperwork and transfer the silencer.

6.Return to the dealer after the federal government completes your background check, and pick up your suppressor. Expect to wait up to four months for the background check to be completed in most cases.

Sweet thank you!

krizia829

JeffinPTC

My trust just got ours 2 weeks ago after 51 weeks wait. So the dealer had our $900 for a year, plus the $200 to the ATF. You gotta really want it.

They had a promo last year for buy one, get one free. Took SilencerCo 11 months to deliver the "free" one, so now we wait another year for the ATF. The dealer holds the actual silencer while waiting on the ATF. You need the actual serial number to apply to the ATF.
Newest Omega 300 is way more engineered than the Octane 45 we already had. works great though.

GregoryB.

Do you have to be a resident of the state that you apply in ? I am retired military and my wife is still serving so I move every 2 years(5 years left).

ldavid008

It's my understanding that you don't have to be a resident but would then have to go through a FFL. Again I'm not certain, I'm right on the state line up here so I just made sure to stay with a GA store.

I used the Silencer Shop app and started my trust on it. You have to fill out info. add a picture, pay etc. I found a local shop off their website that had a kiosk, once there they're the ones who told me about the app. Once it was fill out you can open your account and add your fingerprints via the kiosk. Once the trust is complete you pick out and pay for the suppressor. Only thing left is to purchase a stamp, I bought one a few days later off the Silencer Shop website so it'll be ready once I'm approved, then wait........I'll be at 6 months and counting tomorrow.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
I bet the waiting does suck! Lol thank you for the information!

I've heard (though not verified) they've turned the online system back on, and that wait times are down to under 8 weeks when filing online.

Latest posts