How would you clean the bore if using 777?

Back_40

I currently shoot Hodgdon 777 and sabots in my ml. At the end of the day I have been cleaning the bore with dawn and hot water. Just curious if a solvent might do a better job on plastic residue. Thanks for your feedback!

Last edited:

BarnesAddict

Sabots today don't leave plastic. Don't worry about that.

Cleaning T7??? Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine.

You can use all manner of stuff but, Butch's is all you need for both swabbing between shots and cleaning. You can clean it with 5 patches or less.

Rabun Guy

Sabots today don't leave plastic. Don't worry about that.

Cleaning T7??? Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine.

You can use all manner of stuff but, Butch's is all you need for both swabbing between shots and cleaning. You can clean it with 5 patches or less.
I just ordered me a bottle on Amazon. It looks as if it is one of the better BP cleaning products available.

woods&water

I have used Thompson Center T17 bore cleaner for over 10 years now. It lists 777 right on the label. I shoot magnum charges of 777 fffg loose powder and T17 bore cleaner does a quik and easy job of cleanup or swabbing between shots. After cleaning, dry the bore with a patch and apply a light coating of Kroil for long term storage between seasons. Never one speck of rust.

BarnesAddict

I just ordered me a bottle on Amazon. It looks as if it is one of the better BP cleaning products available.
Having in the past shot up to 5 CASES, not boxes, of T7 a year. I can tell you for certain Butch's just works.
When I was shooting my Ultimate BP Xpress, I was shooting EXTREME HEAVY charges. Even after 20+ rounds, I could clean the barrel with just 5 patches.
To use it to swab between shots, you ONLY want the patches EVER SO SLIGHTLY DAMP. NEVER WET. Run it down in strokes, pull it out and turn it over and do it again and load.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've tried most of them over the years, and I think Dawn soap and scalding hot water is the best you can get.

johnpoulan83

Missed The Vote
I've tried most of them over the years, and I think Dawn soap and scalding hot water is the best you can get.
That’s what I’ve always done boil water and put some dawn in there then put the barrell in the pot and push the rod back and forth through it, while I was doing that I’d let my breach plug sit in there, comes out clean

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That’s what I’ve always done boil water and put some dawn in there then put the barrell in the pot and push the rod back and forth through it, while I was doing that I’d let my breach plug sit in there, comes out clean
Yeah, I'll use some of that black powder solvent and patches for quick cleaning at hunting camp or something, but when I get home, I'm taking the barrel off and sticking it in the sink.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Dang, just saw this one.

I too, am in the Dawn and hot water camp. I have an old coffee pot in the shed I heat my cleaning water in.

Glass plus works pretty good in the field, an old friend taught me that one.

Plug the nipple, pour it full, let it set a few, and dump it. You'll be amazed at what pours out, and dry it with a patch or two.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Gee I thought the advantage of all this overpriced fake powder wad you didn't have to clean so much:unsure::unsure:
I've used most of those "black powder substitues" over the years, and I find most of them to be dirtier than real black powder. And much less effective.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
What NCH said. ^^^

Neither Pyrodex or T7 is one bit easier to clean up. I've not tried any of the other stuff, nor will I.

I sure hope Estes Rockets gets the GOEX plant running again. I'm down to about 10# of it... ?

Darkhorse

I've used a couple that hot water and soap simply wouldn't budge. So soak a patch in brake fluid, then being careful to not touch any finish, give the barrel 5 or 6 strokes followed by hot water and soap.

Deernut3

With my inline I put the barrel in a gator aid bottle full of hot soapy water and use a bore mop to pull the soapy water up into the barrel. If it doesnt come clean I'll use that foaming bore cleaner.

Buckman18

I shoot a TC Encore. I simply remove the barrel, take out the breach plug and squirt the water hose through the barrel.

Then I’ll mop it, then patch it until it’s clean. Couldn’t be easier.

If I’m at camp I’ll use a drop of dawn and water and patch it out until good enough.

Latest posts