How would you handle this situation?

j_seph

So I am a member of a hunting club I joined this year. The president sent out a memo that there was to be no joy riding or we would lose the property per the property owner. I am sitting up there Sat evening and hour before dark I hear an engine revving like someone mud bogging and playing in a vehicle. Heard a few holler and shouting carrying on. I finish my hunt and head out to leave. I come out where I have to turn right onto a powerline and drive to the gate and there are probably 10 - 15 folks standing there with 4 or 5 vehicles, one bein and old crown vic interceptor they had painted up covered in red dirt and mud. As I turn 3 or 4 approach asking what I am doing in there and I infromed them I was a member and deer hunting. They asked to see my membership card, these folks you could tell were up to no good and not hunters, much less members and if anything would pass for crackheads. I told em I had no idea who they were and wasn't showing them squat as I head on down the powerline. One of em yelled we the law up here and we own this property. Here comes the crown vic like sheriff Roscoe on Dukes of Hazzard. Flies by me slinging dirt, slides her sideways in front of me almost hitting him. Now I guess the good Lord was the reason I left my pistol with my wife Saturday. The guy jumps out of the vic, while 3 or 4 more come up from my drivers side back about the same time, not sure where the others are. I am basically a sitting duck, cornered in my truck with rifle in passenger seat and knowing if I get that across me it is going to hender me movin at all. Well the guy in the vic, comes to my window, slaps the roof of my truck asking if I want my tail whipped, while the others gathered round. Then one says that's enough back off. Tell them again I am a member and show my card and the one that said back off takes a pic of it and I introduce myself to him. He is like 18 years old semi cleancut. After getting out of there I speak with the club pres and find out he is the property owners son and he calls his daddy. Calls me back and says that he had heard comotion and sent his on up there to resolve the situation. Turns out all the trash folks there were the owners employees and the son joined in with them instead of stopping the issue. Owner was pretty hot and said he would deal with the employees this morning first thing.

I am still pretty hot about this cause had I had my pistol there is no telling how this would have turned out for the guy at my window and/or me. At this point I am 50/50 if I even go back to the property or much less even stay in the club. Have considered calling the owner myself and talking with him in a casual conversation personally. Would y'all advise this? I know apologies don't mean much to some but dog gone it I want a personal apology from the hick that got up in my window and my bubble TBH. God help these hicks when/if they pull this on someone else.

baddave

well you asked what we'd do , not what would be the right thing .. i'd have shown my fanny and probably got my fanny whooped or versa visa.. usually i show it and they know i'm crazy and i usually leave em standing w/ their mouth open

Dirtroad Johnson

Folk's like that can get you in a heap a trouble, yelling & flying around you jumping out & running toward me with that kind of attitude I would have felt threatened & that could lead to you never know. I personally would find another place to hunt, I don't do well around them kind of folks. Don't seem like the owner is very much in control if the son & croanies feel they can act like that. Get outta there.

RamblinWreck

10 years ago, tired of deer club Shenanigans, I found my own lease. I am the club dictator and sole member. Anyone else hunts as my guest and by my rules. No drama, just hunting and relaxation.

I'd suggest you get your money back if you can, and start looking for your own club.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Might want to consider filing a police report & prosecuting. The next person they try that on might not get away from them.
I'll bet local LEO knows exactly who these punks are.

Hillbilly stalker

Sounds like it worked out for the best. Might get your money back and hunt elsewhere. Sound like a bunch of jerks, I always thought " hicks" we're just country folk.

Someone blocking my path with a vehicle, approaching my truck, and then threatening me sure does sound like deadly force would have been an option that could have been warranted. The property owner is lucky his son and employees are alive and well. I would certainly want to have a personal convo with the owner and club pres. Could have gotten real ugly real quick.

Tideup

Someone blocking my path with a vehicle, approaching my truck, and then threatening me sure does sound like deadly force would have been an option that could have been warranted. The property owner is lucky his son and employees are alive and well. I would certainly want to have a personal convo with the owner and club pres. Could have gotten real ugly real quick.
^^^^^^
This!!!!!

Dirtroad Johnson

So I am a member of a hunting club I joined this year. The president sent out a memo that there was to be no joy riding or we would lose the property per the property owner. I am sitting up there Sat evening and hour before dark I hear an engine revving like someone mud bogging and playing in a vehicle. Heard a few holler and shouting carrying on. I finish my hunt and head out to leave. I come out where I have to turn right onto a powerline and drive to the gate and there are probably 10 - 15 folks standing there with 4 or 5 vehicles, one bein and old crown vic interceptor they had painted up covered in red dirt and mud. As I turn 3 or 4 approach asking what I am doing in there and I infromed them I was a member and deer hunting. They asked to see my membership card, these folks you could tell were up to no good and not hunters, much less members and if anything would pass for crackheads. I told em I had no idea who they were and wasn't showing them squat as I head on down the powerline. One of em yelled we the law up here and we own this property. Here comes the crown vic like sheriff Roscoe on Dukes of Hazzard. Flies by me slinging dirt, slides her sideways in front of me almost hitting him. Now I guess the good Lord was the reason I left my pistol with my wife Saturday. The guy jumps out of the vic, while 3 or 4 more come up from my drivers side back about the same time, not sure where the others are. I am basically a sitting duck, cornered in my truck with rifle in passenger seat and knowing if I get that across me it is going to hender me movin at all. Well the guy in the vic, comes to my window, slaps the roof of my truck asking if I want my tail whipped, while the others gathered round. Then one says that's enough back off. Tell them again I am a member and show my card and the one that said back off takes a pic of it and I introduce myself to him. He is like 18 years old semi cleancut. After getting out of there I speak with the club pres and find out he is the property owners son and he calls his daddy. Calls me back and says that he had heard comotion and sent his on up there to resolve the situation. Turns out all the trash folks there were the owners employees and the son joined in with them instead of stopping the issue. Owner was pretty hot and said he would deal with the employees this morning first thing.

I am still pretty hot about this cause had I had my pistol there is no telling how this would have turned out for the guy at my window and/or me. At this point I am 50/50 if I even go back to the property or much less even stay in the club. Have considered calling the owner myself and talking with him in a casual conversation personally. Would y'all advise this? I know apologies don't mean much to some but dog gone it I want a personal apology from the hick that got up in my window and my bubble TBH. God help these hicks when/if they pull this on someone else.

Did the owner or club president get this straightened out?

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR

Yep.
Once it escalated to that level, self preservation mode is in full effect. Idiot slapping the truck and threatening bodily harm, would have been staring down the barrel of a .45

Russdaddy

Apples & trees, If that is who the owner "depends" on to "handle" his business then he has poor judgment already. I would insist on a refund and never look back.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
After entrapping me and threatening me, I would have fed someone a hornady critical duty from fear of my life. However I give you props for handling the situation as well as you did and it probably a good thing for them you didn't have your sidearm.

Down4Count

I would have shot at least one of them just for spite. A good head shot from the ol' hand gun would have sent a message. Shoot first answer questions later.