How'd you get your 1st ride?

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
'76 Plymouth volare roadrunner. Had a 318/4 speed. Worked for my dad the summer of '84 to pay for it. It cost $250 back then

Sweetwater

Gave an aunt 500 bucks for a 77 ford ltd with a 460 and enough interior room to haul a platoon to the drive in.
Earned it humpin 50 pound cases of oil for my dad.

T-N-T

Daddy bought me a brand new Silverado off the showroom floor.
It got a lift kit and mud grips added that day. Loud pipes and window tint the next week. It killed me having to wait all that time to hear it roar.

After about 6 months I tired of it and got a new one with more doors.

T-N-T

Actually i split the cost ( dollar to dollar was matched)of a honda prelude. 87 model I think...? $1200. I couldn't work without a ride and it was hard to get money up before I had a car. But after I got one, I been trading and paying whenever I get the bug.
Drove the crap out of it.

Jack Ryan

I never even considered someone might GIVE me one. Never occurred to me to even ask. I worked and saved every penny nickle and dime, ALL MY LIFE,from mowing yards, collecting pop bottles, lifeguarding, teaching swim lessons, cooking at the local drive in, detassling corn until 1972 when I bought a 1965 white Impala SS. White on black, 327 4 barrel, 4 speed. $750 and I had about $100 left for insurance and gas until I got my next job.

There were times when it sat on the street for lack of gas money or insurance or license plates...

NOYDB

BANNED
Once I got my licence, I drove what was the furthest out on the drive. I drove whichever chevy was last parked. I had to fill up any of the family vehicles down to under a quarter tank with my money. First legal vehicles were my parents.

JohnnyWalker

I was working cutting grass, etc., one day dad asked how much I had saved. A few days later he brought home a 55 Chevy that I had to rebuild. I paid for the car and parts, he walked me through the rebuild.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Nobody ever paid for my transportation. I worked the tobacco field for my first ride, a 400 Suzuki motorcycle. Rode it till I graduated high school. Got a full time job building peanut combines and bought the only car I ever owned, a Dodge Challenger. That car kept me in trouble and when I finally got my revoked drivers license back from the state, I traded it in on a truck. Never looked back and been in trucks ever since.

Cmp1

BANNED
Nobody ever paid for my transportation. I worked the tobacco field for my first ride, a 400 Suzuki motorcycle. Rode it till I graduated high school. Got a full time job building peanut combines and bought the only car I ever owned, a Dodge Challenger. That car kept me in trouble and when I finally got my revoked drivers license back from the state, I traded it in on a truck. Never looked back and been in trucks ever since.

Did you read my post about the Challenger Nic?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
All right here goes,,,, to make a long story short,,,, was working a a grocery store as a bagger, best boss I ever had, driving my dad's 67 Lincoln continental, convertable, what a tank, suicide doors and all,,,, had saved quite a bit of money, around the corner from us a guy I knew from my sister was selling his 70 Challenger, 383 with a six pack from a 340, built with a 3 quarter race cam, NO injected, Hurst 4 speed, racing tires, beautiful car, black, 1800.00, I had the cash, my dad and I went and took her around the block, my dad said, man this is some car, but your going to kill yourself in this, I mulled it over, gave him 20 bucks to hold it for me, on the way home we went to a Lincoln dealer that my dad knew the owner, he talked to him about giving me a good deal on a new or nice used car, anyway looked around the lot, and he said that he had a demo with only 300 miles on it, Pinto, 4speed, brown and copper, brand new,,,, got him down to 2400.00,,,, my dad said I can build my credit and not kill myself,,,,got great mileage, took a trip to visit my sister on the east coast, from metro Detroit to Boston on 2 tanks,,,,, will never forget the Challenger,,,, it was definitely a chick magnet, not to mention fast,,,,,

Mine was a 73 model, stock 340, 4 speed with the pistol grip shifter, the color of a Coors can. $4,300 off the showroom floor. I was as out of place in that car as a horse thief in church, and had no business in it. No where to haul a deer and too low to the ground. And it cost me my license for 6 months. Traded it in before I ever got it paid for.

Cmp1

BANNED
Mine was a 73 model, stock 340, 4 speed with the pistol grip shifter, the color of a Coors can. $4,300 off the showroom floor. I was as out of place in that car as a horse thief in church, and had no business in it. No where to haul a deer and too low to the ground. And it cost me my license for 6 months. Traded it in before I ever got it paid for.

My Dad was right, I would have killed myself in it at 16yo,,,,

Cmp1

BANNED
Remember when you couldn't get Coors east of the Mississippi?

zedex

Gator Bait
I worked at McDonald's and walked to school. Saw a nice looking 68 barracuda in someone's yard every day walked past. It never moved so one day I stopped by and asked if it was for sale. The fella said he'd sell for 400 bucks. Took a month but I gave him each paycheck.
Was a super sharp car. Metallic blue with black stripes. Had red line tires. I was 2nd owner of it and the body was perfect.... no rust no dents.
Two months later it was totaled by the drivers ed teach at my school. He was drunk and had no insurance.